Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Oct 26, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #46 of 2,004
Just posted a review of the Ragnarok with specific comparisons to the gs-x mk2 here.

That is one of the best (honest, no-BS) impressions I've ever read. Thanks very much. Thanks for being honest and pointing out issues as well as the positives - rarity in the abundance of overly positive impressions these days.

I'm thankful differences with GSX are minimal - might only consider rag when I get some speakers.

Thanks again mate, seriously good effort :)

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #47 of 2,004
^ Agreed. It's a good, useful review.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #49 of 2,004
Just posted a review of the Ragnarok with specific comparisons to the gs-x mk2 here.

A very good, honest review of the Ragnarok. I wish more reviews were like your and stated the negatives as well as the positives behind the Ragnarok.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #50 of 2,004
Great write up! Fun to read and well thought out. Thanks for this!

Edit: Just a heads up, the specs on the GS-X on HeadAmp.com are actually for the original and not the Mk2. 
redface.gif

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #51 of 2,004
Good review, especially the extra attention on non-sonic details. A couple spots I have a different viewpoint, however: The switches on the GS-X mk2 are pretty stiff and sometimes the amp unit can slide when trying to flip one. In that case I prefer a sensitive button I can just touch. Regarding heat, in my setup, I have my gear on a set of open backed shelves next to my recliner in my living room. I have run long cables to my speakers so I can keep the Ragnarok handy for volume control, etc. During my testing I have the GS-X mk2 stacked on top of the Ragnarok, and in addition to not finding any interference problems (as expected), they are just warm, not hot to the touch or close. Separately, the GS-X mk2 is typically almost room temperature, so I didn't expect any issues anyway. In this setup the Ragnarok is really no warmer than by itself, which is just somewhat warm. On an open rack I would not expect to have any heat issues. If you are stuffing Ragnarok into a closed cabinet, yeah.. don't. Without a remote control, I wouldn't imagine this would be done anyway.

Also, I don't experience the popping sound you describe while changing the volume with HD800s on any gain setting. I've been using GS-X mk2 on low gain (more volume control above channel imbalance range), and Ragnarok on high gain (no detectable difference in gain settings) due to sharing time with my speakers and not bothering to adjust the gain setting. With the excellent volume adjustment on the Ragnarok there's no channel imbalance with HD800s even on high gain, so no point to use anything else. I have also tested my Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors (in balanced mode, no less) and find it completely silent up to 100% volume on low gain. I've used a few headphones on the unbalanced output and find no buzzing.

Testing (with the ECP Black Diamond, also) is progressing. I should have sonic commentary this week.

edit: Also, you should post that review on the GS-X mk2 and rate it.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #52 of 2,004
Yeah— one of the more clear and useful reviews I've read!

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #53 of 2,004

Edit: Just a heads up, the specs on the GS-X on HeadAmp.com are actually for the original and not the Mk2. :xf_eek:

Why wouldn't he update his own website...

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #57 of 2,004
Why wouldn't he update his own website...

Yep, the pictures are out of date too.

What Schiit is doing is quite impressive: A modern Dell-like approach to delivering quality via lean manufacture at value - all combined with Jason's expertise and attention to marketing where he is second to none. There is nothing wrong with it.

Justin = Headamp is very different. He is pretty much a one man operation paying extreme attention to every aspect of each amp - hand-matching JFETs etc. and trusting no one but himself to have every detail perfect. When it comes to marketing however, he is just this side of AWOL. Everything sells by word of mouth. There is nothing wrong with that either IMO. He will never be able to scale up and get huge. There will never be an IPO or enterprise sale payday. (I am guessing that Schiit may be headed for that - more likely the latter - and good for them.) But Justin is a hands -on proprietor and the GS-X mk2 speaks for itself. I am very very happy with mine.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #58 of 2,004
Yep, the pictures are out of date too.

What Schiit is doing is quite impressive: A modern Dell-like approach to delivering quality via lean manufacture at value - all combined with Jason's expertise and attention to marketing where he is second to none. There is nothing wrong with it.

Justin = Headamp is very different. He is pretty much a one man operation paying extreme attention to every aspect of each amp - hand-matching JFETs etc. and trusting no one but himself to have every detail perfect. When it comes to marketing however, he is just this side of AWOL. Everything sells by word of mouth. There is nothing wrong with that either IMO. He will never be able to scale up and get huge. There will never be an IPO or enterprise sale payday. (I am guessing that Schiit may be headed for that - more likely the latter - and good for them.) But Justin is a hands -on proprietor and the GS-X mk2 speaks for itself. I am very very happy with mine.

I am familiar with Headamp and how Justin works (I've also listened to the GSX) but I still think if you're selling a product you should keep your website up-to-date. Anyway sorry for the derail.

**fixed typos

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #59 of 2,004
I think HI-FI industry is just like this, if you purchase those speakers you also have to wait like forever for your speakers to come, and they sometimes also forgot to update the details. I really hate this, but what can I do....lol

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #60 of 2,004
Everybody - thanks for the kind words. Interested in what kind of responses I will get back on this.

MacedonianHero - I pointed that link to Frank Iacone's review.  I knew Justin had not updated the images but for some reason I thought the tech details had been updated.

Quote:
That is one of the best (honest, no-BS) impressions I've ever read. Thanks very much. Thanks for being honest and pointing out issues as well as the positives - rarity in the abundance of overly positive impressions these days.

I'm thankful differences with GSX are minimal - might only consider rag when I get some speakers.

Thanks again mate, seriously good effort
smily_headphones1.gif

^ Agreed. It's a good, useful review.

Down to earth, easy to read, great work!

A very good, honest review of the Ragnarok. I wish more reviews were like your and stated the negatives as well as the positives behind the Ragnarok.

Edit: Just a heads up, the specs on the GS-X on HeadAmp.com are actually for the original and not the Mk2. 
redface.gif

Yeah— one of the more clear and useful reviews I've read!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back