Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Oct 25, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #31 of 1,983
  I'm getting a buzz over the left channel of the SE output when using IEMs. It doesn't change with volume or gain setting and I can't hear it on  full sized cans.  It not the headphones or the adapter.

Thoughts?

That single channel buzz seems to have happened to a few people during beta. I think Schiit were informed of the issue but not sure what the solution is... try asking Schiit support.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #32 of 1,983
  A bunch of random observations after a few days with Ragnarok.

Sound quality is near par with my GSX MKII & audio-gd, may be better, may be worse, still working on that determination with various cans and DACs and etc.  Plenty of moar powr for 800s, LCD-X & other cans so far.

Heya, just wondering if you've had a chance to better understand the differences between the GS-X MK2 and Rag.

I've got a GS-X MK2 and am considering the Rag so I'm definitely keen to hear your opinions - the relatively unique design of the Rag is interesting and I'm under the impression that it should produce good audio quality, just don't know if it is worth it coming from the GS-X.

I will probably wait out this channel buzz issue though...

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #33 of 1,983
No buzz issue here. I've yet to set GS-X and Rag side by side for listening, but I should be able to get started on direct comparisons tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #34 of 1,983
One of the Rag's tasks is to manage evaporation of the black hole formed at switch-on. Usually dissipation is too fast to notice but under some conditions - someone else turned their Rag on at the same instant - the black hole may hook up to others. In these cases evaporation is prolonged and some channel buzz from Hawking radiation is inevitable.

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #35 of 1,983
^What^?!?!? Are you talking about?!??

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #36 of 1,983
Sorry. Working too hard. Manically impish mood :xf_eek:

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #38 of 1,983
Bit of an old joke. Ragnarok = end of world. Comparison = Large Hadron Collider which forms (microscopic) black holes. Some feared end of world when LHC got turned on :D.

Thus Ragnarok = LHC = black hole formation.

Black holes swallow everything near-by because of their enormous gravitational power. Originally, Stephen Hawking (who predicted their existence) declared nothing could escape them. He later revised this view. Energy leaks out of black holes as detectable 'Hawking radiation'. Eventually a black hole will evaporate once there's nothing left to feed it :eek: A long, long time later...

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #40 of 1,983
  I hope the buzz gets works out, I have high hopes for this thing being my office speaker/headphone amp.

I would be surprised if anything is dissapointed in this amp when they hear it, I'm pretty picky myself when it comes to audio gear, but I could easily see living with the Rag for a very long time.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #42 of 1,983
One of the Rag's tasks is to manage evaporation of the black hole formed at switch-on. Usually dissipation is too fast to notice but under some conditions - someone else turned their Rag on at the same instant - the black hole may hook up to others. In these cases evaporation is prolonged and some channel buzz from Hawking radiation is inevitable.

Yes and from the radiation, my freshly ground unicorn horn paste will glow and when applied to one's headphones, the smug stink of self satisfaction shall smell like roses lol. Just joking.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #43 of 1,983
Black holes are God's garbage disposal.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #44 of 1,983
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back