Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #2,777 of 13,350
I find the stock tubes with the lyr do no sound as good as tubes you can buy
Orange globes etc

As with a lot of things in audio, Hi Fi etc. the stock tubes get you going. There are bound to be tubes which sound better to your ears, but if someone has just bought a Lyr, they should give the stock tubes time to break in as well as the other components of the amp itself. Then start rolling...

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,778 of 13,350
Quote:
Hey guys, Im back with another question.

Basically I have around $600 to spend on some gear. The way I see it I have 2 choices, since Id like to stick with Schiit gear. Option one is to buy an Asgard 2 and a Bifrost, then use them with my current HD558s for all my listening. Option two is to buy a Magni and Modi, then spend the remaining money on a better set of headphones like some Mad Dogs or some SRH-940s.

I guess what Im wondering is which do you think would be a better option? Im fully open to other opinions, so please tell me what you think.

I'd get Asgard 2 and Modi... and for the remaining money you can still get SRH-940 (if you decide so).

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #2,779 of 13,350
Quote:

Basically I have around $600 to spend on some gear. The way I see it I have 2 choices, since Id like to stick with Schiit gear. Option one is to buy an Asgard 2 and a Bifrost, then use them with my current HD558s for all my listening. Option two is to buy a Magni and Modi, then spend the remaining money on a better set of headphones like some Mad Dogs or some SRH-940s.

I guess what Im wondering is which do you think would be a better option? Im fully open to other opinions, so please tell me what you think.

I've always found cans make by far the biggest difference, so that's where most of my money would go if I was in your shoes.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2,781 of 13,350
Quote:

I've always found cans make by far the biggest difference, so that's where most of my money would go if I was in your shoes.

Quote:

Depends on how much you like the sound of the HD558... if you like the Sennheiser house sound... I'd say hunt for a solid used pair of HD650/600 (whichever you can find more easily... should be no more than about $350/300 respectively). These cans scale very very well with good gear later on when you might upgrade. Then with remaining 200-300ish... grab a magni/modi stack. That M&M combo is hard to beat at it's price point. My next recommendation would be the Fiio E17/E09K combo (also about $200-250), cause the E17 allows for portable use if you are looking for that option.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,782 of 13,350

I like your thought of putting $ into the Bifrost first. The source component is the starting point, affecting everything downstream. (I'm assuming lossless files properly delivered to the dac) Then a versatile amp that can drive all different loads. Now you're ready to experiment with different sounding cans. Over time, you're likely to own more cans and enjoy their varying personalities.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,783 of 13,350
Quote:
I like your thought of putting $ into the Bifrost first. The source component is the starting point, affecting everything downstream. (I'm assuming lossless files properly delivered to the dac) Then a versatile amp that can drive all different loads. Now you're ready to experiment with different sounding cans. Over time, you're likely to own more cans and enjoy their varying personalities.

+1 to this too... seems like you're using onboard sound right now from your ASUS laptop. (which could be quite limiting)

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,785 of 13,350
Quote:
The term "tube rollng" is a misnomer. The correct term is wallet rolling.
tongue.gif

This!

LOL. Pretty soon you'll wish you just purchased the Mjo.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,786 of 13,350
Quote:
This!

LOL. Pretty soon you'll wish you just purchased the Mjo.

LOL precisely why I skipped the Lyr... as well I found a good deal on a used one
tongue.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2,787 of 13,350
Jul 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #2,788 of 13,350
[size=10.5pt]Hello all! [/size]

[size=10.5pt]I’m fairly new here and recently purchased a Schiit Valhalla to go with my Cardas-cabled HD650’s and the sound from this amp/can combo is amazing! Far better than the headphone output from my vintage Carver C-1. I sourced a couple of sets of Russian tubes from the 60’s and 70’s that improved the detail, transparency and warmth of the amp over the stock set.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]The vast majority of my music is on CD and a Marantz Super Audio CD/DVD player functions as the source, using the internal DAC and RCA output coupled to the Valhalla by an Audioquest Big Sur interconnect. I’m not sure what model of Marantz; it’s about 5 or 6 years old and cost around $550 or so at the time.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Would a CD transport with outboard DAC, something like the Little Dot CDP-1 and Bifrost achieve significantly better sound than the Marantz? I’d like to get the best possible sound I can without spending more than another $800. I’m looking for greater bass weight/heft and smoother highs, particularly from female vocals, trumpet, and flute when played at higher volume. There’s still a slight brashness or resonance present from these and I don’t know if it’s a function of the cans, amp, or source. The bass extension and definition are good; I just wish there were a little more of it or greater fullness. The detail and transparency are currently excellent so I’m not looking for much of an improvement there. Would the CDP-1/Bifrost combination be an improvement in these areas? [/size]

[size=10.5pt]Thanks guys![/size]
[size=10.5pt]
beerchug.gif
[/size]

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,789 of 13,350
Quote:

[size=10.5pt]I’m fairly new here and recently purchased a Schiit Valhalla to go with my Cardas-cabled HD650’s and the sound from this amp/can combo is amazing! Far better than the headphone output from my vintage Carver C-1. I sourced a couple of sets of Russian tubes from the 60’s and 70’s that improved the detail, transparency and warmth of the amp over the stock set.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]The vast majority of my music is on CD and a Marantz Super Audio CD/DVD player functions as the source, using the internal DAC and RCA output coupled to the Valhalla by an Audioquest Big Sur interconnect. I’m not sure what model of Marantz; it’s about 5 or 6 years old and cost around $550 or so at the time.[/size]

[size=10.5pt]Would a CD transport with outboard DAC, something like the Little Dot CDP-1 and Bifrost achieve significantly better sound than the Marantz? I’d like to get the best possible sound I can without spending more than another $800. I’m looking for greater bass weight/heft and smoother highs, particularly from female vocals, trumpet, and flute when played at higher volume. There’s still a slight brashness or resonance present from these and I don’t know if it’s a function of the cans, amp, or source. The bass extension and definition are good; I just wish there were a little more of it or greater fullness. The detail and transparency are currently excellent so I’m not looking for much of an improvement there. Would the CDP-1/Bifrost combination be an improvement in these areas? [/size]

[size=10.5pt]
beerchug.gif
[/size]

Hey there! See you don't have a lot of posts, so if no one has said it, welcome to the forums! 

Is your marantz unit anything like this ?

I doubt any of the harshness is from the DAC. It could be the tubes, maybe someone who owns a Valhalla could comment on that and give a more preferable set of tubes. Unfortunately, I can't think of any changes other than the headphones themselves that would really change the bass impact and smoother highs. Do you know if you have silver screen or black screen HD650s? 

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,790 of 13,350
Quote:

[size=10.5pt]
beerchug.gif
[/size]

I don't know man, from what you describe and the gear you have I'd almost be willing to say that changing out the tubes and doing some experimentation in that area is worth while, maybe change the interconnect to something more mellow also.  It's good stuff, maybe just not the right combination? Try putting the stock cables back on the HD650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back