Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,771 of 13,350
Quote:
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but does anyone here know if asgard 1 or 2 can handle 600 ohms. I'm thinking about getting the Beyer dt880's with 600 ohms. 

Asgard 2 outputs 190mw into 600 ohms.

600 ohm version of DT880 only requires 100mw, so plenty of power to spare.

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,773 of 13,350
Also, keep in mind that higher impedance loads are easier on the amps themselves.  Amps won't blow up under high impedance loads.  In fact, true class A amps stay cooler when pushing high impedance loads.  The only issue is if the volume will be load enough on some amps.

Quote:
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but does anyone here know if asgard 1 or 2 can handle 600 ohms. I'm thinking about getting the Beyer dt880's with 600 ohms. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,774 of 13,350
Quote:
Also, keep in mind that higher impedance loads are easier on the amps themselves.  Amps won't blow up under high impedance loads.  In fact, true class A amps stay cooler when pushing high impedance loads.  The only issue is if the volume will be load enough on some amps.

So you can actually damage an amp if you push it too hard with low impedance cans? Kinda scary, I always thought it was just speakers and headphones that would blow from too much power.

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,775 of 13,350
Quote:

I'm using Debian Wheezy. Basically, in order to get the things working, I've had to upgrade the kernel to 3.8.2. 

If you are already running a 3.8.x kernel, probably there'll be no setup, just plug and play. I can't comment on Bifrost, but if your main concern is linux compatibility, Modi is a suitable choice.

Quote:
I have been wondering if Bifrost will work at 24/192 with Linux under USB as well but I've been too lazy to even try it with my Mint VM. I'll mess with it and let you know though.

Edit: Bifrost was 100% PnP with Linux Mint 14, just had to select it in the sound preferences. I would have to do some fiddling around to get 24/192 working I assume, but out of the box it is working OK.

Thanks for this info. Puts me at ease. I'll be joining the schiit club soon

Mar 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,776 of 13,350
Quote:
So you can actually damage an amp if you push it too hard with low impedance cans? Kinda scary, I always thought it was just speakers and headphones that would blow from too much power.

The best way to think of it, the amp doesn't push power into your headphones, rather your headphones suck power from the amp.

Lower impedance cans suck harder and thus put more strain on the amp.

That's my understanding of it.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,777 of 13,350
If you use headphones with too low of an impedance, yes, it's technically possible to damage the amp.  This is why amp manufacturers usually put a minimum impedance rating on them, usually 8, 16, or 32 ohm loads.  A lot more goes into these ratings, such as damping, but you get the point.  But, saying all that, it's going to be extremely rare that you damage any amp driving any headphone these days.

Quote:

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #1,778 of 13,350
I could be totally wrong about this, so I'm open to being corrected, but I think you have it backwards.  The amp does the pushing because that is the active device.  There's nothing active about headphones that can draw current.  The amp pushes into the headphones, and the resistance to being pushed is measured in ohms.  

Anyone else care to chime in and set the record straight?

Quote:

The best way to think of it, the amp doesn't push power into your headphones, rather your headphones suck power from the amp.

Lower impedance cans suck harder and thus put more strain on the amp.

That's my understanding of it.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #1,779 of 13,350
Current is never pushed.  Current is drawn.

The amp applies a voltage across the input to the headphones, current is subsequently drawn.

The amount of current that is drawn is dependent on the voltage applied and the impedance of the headphone circuit.   I=E/R, or in the case of headphones, I=E/Z, since headphones present at least some reactive impedance to the circuit.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,780 of 13,350
Ummmmm, how about current flows... From one potential in the amp, through the load, and back into the other potential in the amp. If the load does not present enough resistance to flow....too much flows and things break down. Opposite can be true too with transformer amps. If there is too small a load, the voltage can get too high and things arc over. Never play a tube amp too loud without a load.... :frowning2:

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,781 of 13,350
Quote:
Ummmmm, how about current flows... From one potential in the amp, through the load, and back into the other potential in the amp. If the load does not present enough resistance to flow....too much flows and things break down. Opposite can be true too with transformer amps. If there is too small a load, the voltage can get too high and things arc over. Never play a tube amp too loud without a load....
frown.gif

How could I disagree?  Nothing you posted in any way contradicted anything I posted, yes?

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,782 of 13,350
Indeed, we are all saying the same thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back