Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 15, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #1,760 of 13,350
Not sure if this has been posted before but here goes..

Just got the Apple Camera Connection Kit for my iPad Mini so I thought, what the heck..
Let's see if it works with the Bifrost..Yes!! 

iPhone 5.. Fail!! 

Not a use case for me but may be of interest to others.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,761 of 13,350
^^^^ Yep, I though as much...but then it also does not work with android, but not a big deal as it was for my laptop anyway.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,762 of 13,350
Quote:
My Modi & Magni just arrived. They have been burning in for the last 10 hours and are sounding very nice. I've been struggling to get the Modi working under linux but now everything is fine. Soon I'll explain here what I did. So far so good!

What distro are you using? I'm running mint and that is the thing that is giving me pause in picking one of these up. Good to know that it is working though, interested to know what was involved in the set-up. Also, would it be better to get the bifrost and use the optical port as far as Linux compatibility goes?

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #1,763 of 13,350
What distro are you using? I'm running mint and that is the thing that is giving me pause in picking one of these up. Good to know that it is working though, interested to know what was involved in the set-up. Also, would it be better to get the bifrost and use the optical port as far as Linux compatibility goes?

I'm using Debian Wheezy. Basically, in order to get the things working, I've had to upgrade the kernel to 3.8.2. 

If you are already running a 3.8.x kernel, probably there'll be no setup, just plug and play. I can't comment on Bifrost, but if your main concern is linux compatibility, Modi is a suitable choice.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #1,764 of 13,350
I have been wondering if Bifrost will work at 24/192 with Linux under USB as well but I've been too lazy to even try it with my Mint VM. I'll mess with it and let you know though.

Edit: Bifrost was 100% PnP with Linux Mint 14, just had to select it in the sound preferences. I would have to do some fiddling around to get 24/192 working I assume, but out of the box it is working OK.

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,765 of 13,350
I received my Schiit on Monday!

The Magni, PYST and Bifost are my first  pieces of Schiit. I took the Magni on a trip with me this week and used it with my Audioengine D1. The Magni made a big difference in the sound over the D1 internal amplifier. The brightness of my Sen HD 280 pro was toned down and the bass was stronger. I hope to get a chance to spend time with the Bifrost this weekend and see what improvements it has in store.

I will pair the Magni with the D1 for my travel/hotel rig and pair it with the Bifrost for home. Now I can start shopping for some quality cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back