Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #1,201 of 13,350
Quote:
I am currently using the Mjolnir / Modi with my LCD2.2.  It does not have the same detail as my Bifrost, but is working out well as a temporary solution until I get my Gungir.  It also allowed me to stop taking my Bifrost back and forth from my living room to bedroom.  You will want to upgrade, but it gets the job done and I still love the sound of my LCD2/Mjo running through it.  Hope that helps!

zacly

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #1,202 of 13,350
Quote:
I used my lyr as a preamp for my fostex's desktop speakers for awhile and it worked well, I say give it a go.

thanks for the input, my plan is a parasound halo a21 powering mini maggies, we'll see...
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,203 of 13,350
 Awesome responses guys. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. I just am not ready to drop another $800+ on a DAC after picking up the Mjolnir. I'm not exactly taking baby steps, but I do have to space it out a bit.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,205 of 13,350

Very happy with my day-old system. The Gungnir provides great detail and growing soundstage, not too bright with the HE-500s.
The Mjolnir volume knob (which seems to double as a heat sink) has not gone past 11 o'clock, with plenty of headroom to spare.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,206 of 13,350
Quote:
So you're suggesting a 100 dollar DAC is the start of diminishing returns? 
rolleyes.gif

The start? Possibly. In reality the DAC is going to be the least noticeable improvement in the whole setup. Youll notice a better improvement probably with using 24/96 audio with 320k unless like I said you quadruple the cost. IE: Modi vs Bifrost Or Gungir

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #1,207 of 13,350
Quote:

Very happy with my day-old system. The Gungnir provides great detail and growing soundstage, not too bright with the HE-500s.
The Mjolnir volume knob (which seems to double as a heat sink) has not gone past 11 o'clock, with plenty of headroom to spare.

beautifull, what cans are those and how do you like them?

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,210 of 13,350
My set up is:

Laptop >FLAC/Foobar> Wireworld Ultraviolet> AP2/AQVOX> Black Cat Silver Star> Mini-Circuits HAT-10dB> Gungnir> Pyst XLR> Mjolnir> Moon Audio Blue Dragon 4-pin XLR> HiFiman HE-500.

The HE-500s are awesome. Especially balanced. I intentionally used the Blue Dragon cable for its copper versus Silver Dragon silver to keep the brightness down and not be like an easier to drive HE-6. Its a whole synergy thing though.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,212 of 13,350
Quote:
Ljhodad do you feel the audiophilleo adds a lot of improvement to the gungnir?

I began "investing" in a SPDIF solution a couple of years ago, long before I knew which DAC I would end up with, other than it would need SPDIF input. Part of the reason was USB was not (much) doing 192, and I had already accumulated several 192 files. New converters were/are popping up every fortnight, so I just committed to AP2 knowing it would do the job with a fair amount of favorable reviews. The AQVOX preceded the now available PurePower (battery) choice, so I went with that as well. Even though the AP2 can directly connect to the DAC, I had also invested in the Black Cat cable. That being said, when I finally chose Schiit, I did the no-USB option. Some, contrary to Schiit's website, feel the USB implementation is on-par with SPDIF.  So I cannot speak about improvements, only that each component was a deliberate choice at the time it was made and hopefully an informed decision. I am quite happy though with the overall results, and would recommend such a system for that budget. If I had to do it again, I might have gone the PurePower route, and those Norse cables are mighty nice...but no regrets. I take that back - I could not get JPLAY to work in 192, so it was removed to another system. Now I'm just enjoying the music.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,213 of 13,350
Did you order the gungnir with usb or not? I wonder how it compares to your converter.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #1,215 of 13,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back