Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 29, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #901 of 13,350
Quote:
You'll be a happy camper.

Whatever you do, if you like your wallet, don't go here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/4755#post_8999128

Well, any hope of ever saving money has just been shattered by that click, haha! Doesn't help that I'm already in recovery mode after buying the LCD-3's.

I have a couple guitar amps that use tubes. I use to change out the tubes in them to get different tones out of my amps. The thought never occurred to me that I could do the same thing with a headphone amp. I guess you don't even have to re-bias the amp either, huh?

Thanks for the awesome link! I can tell I'm going to have lots of fun with this. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #902 of 13,350
Quote:

Well, any hope of ever saving money has just been shattered by that click, haha! Doesn't help that I'm already in recovery mode after buying the LCD-3's.

I have a couple guitar amps that use tubes. I use to change out the tubes in them to get different tones out of my amps. The thought never occurred to me that I could do the same thing with a headphone amp. I guess you don't even have to re-bias the amp either, huh?

Thanks for the awesome link! I can tell I'm going to have lots of fun with this. 

Welcome to the Tube Junkie Kingdom.

You are correct, only the power tubes need to be re-biased.  EL34's etc.
The Lyr is a hybrid with S.S. power and tube pre-amp.

You are now in the ECC88, E1CC88, 6922, CV2492, 6DJ8 domain.
Amprex, Mullard, Seimans, Telefunken....   Vintage 1960's  NOS/NIB/Used

Just like your Fender, Marshall, etc.  You will be chasing a sound until the end of time..... or your funds.
With LCD-3's.   Are you kidding me?  Magnificent?

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #903 of 13,350
Quote:
Welcome to the Tube Junkie Kingdom.

You are correct, only the power tubes need to be re-biased.  EL34's etc.
The Lyr is a hybrid with S.S. power and tube pre-amp.

You are now in the ECC88, E1CC88, 6922, CV2492, 6DJ8 domain.
Amprex, Mullard, Seimans, Telefunken....   Vintage 1960's  NOS/NIB/Used

Just like your Fender, Marshall, etc.  You will be chasing a sound until the end of time..... or your funds.
With LCD-3's.   Are you kidding me?  Magnificent?

Can't wait to check out some other tubes! Do you have any favorites so far? I haven't read a lot of pages in that thread (yet), but do people tend to be partial a particular brand or type?

The LCD-3's are absolutely magnificent! I got to sit in a room with a few different headphones (including the Grado PS1000's and LCD-2's). I walked in intending to get the LCD-2's. After reading how the LCD-3's where only about a 20% improvement from the LCD-2's, I didn't think the price difference could justify the cost. But, after actually hearing the LCD-3's, I couldn't resist. To my ears, it was way more than just a 20% improvement. Fell completely in love!

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #904 of 13,350
Quote:

Can't wait to check out some other tubes! Do you have any favorites so far? I haven't read a lot of pages in that thread (yet), but do people tend to be partial a particular brand or type?

The LCD-3's are absolutely magnificent! I got to sit in a room with a few different headphones (including the Grado PS1000's and LCD-2's). I walked in intending to get the LCD-2's. After reading how the LCD-3's where only about a 20% improvement from the LCD-2's, I didn't think the price difference could justify the cost. But, after actually hearing the LCD-3's, I couldn't resist. To my ears, it was way more than just a 20% improvement. Fell completely in love!

Good feedback on the LCD3's   I just picked up some used LCD2's (rev 1) to go along with my Senn HD650's.
I can no longer listen to the 650's.   Part of me want to get some rev 2's .... I've already spent a ton on 2 Lyr/Bifrost setups (upstairs / downstairs) and I think the LCD3's are way over budget.   Looking at HD800, Beyer T1, maybe HE5LE.  To get something different.   I just find the Audeze sound very appealing thus a safe bet.  Do I want LCD3's.   Damn straight.

You will read that I am very partial to Amprex tubes.  I've made a couple posts suggesting Orange Globes as a nice place to start.  Other folks like them as well. Amprex is my only point of reference.  There are a lot of folks with a whole lot more tubes to talk about.

I need to diversify to Mullards or Seimans, but now my focus is upgrading the HD650's.  For now, I'm happy with my tube inventory.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #905 of 13,350
Quote:
I think your's and Barry's suspicions are correct, tubes.

Besides swapping tubes, swap the source cables (L/R)

Note:
Even with a protection relay, it's not good to cycle power with your cans plugged in.

I have switched the tubes but it is still the left channel. I am now able to reliably reproduce the issue, the right channel cuts out every time I remove and re-insert my headphones in. Is this a known issue?

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #908 of 13,350
Quote:
You certainly have the credentials

Quote:
For HD800s, my vote would go to Valhalla.

I think I'm leaning toward Lyr....but I can't think.......

Thank you anywayz..
deadhorse.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #909 of 13,350
Oh Come ON SCHITT!!!

STATUS: Backordered. Due to unforeseen demand and production delays, Lyr will not ship until the end of December. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm about to order Lyr...this happened!!!

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #910 of 13,350
Quote:
I have switched the tubes but it is still the left channel. I am now able to reliably reproduce the issue, the right channel cuts out every time I remove and re-insert my headphones in. Is this a known issue?

I have not heard of anyone else having this or similar issues that occur consistently when plugging your headphones back in. I'd send Schiit an email, they'd know if anyone.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #911 of 13,350
I've been thinking about buying Xonar Essence STX/ST as a temporary solution as I probably need to wait for a while now that I need to send the Asgard back . I'm under impression that it would work well as a DAC (better than DG) after switching back to amp again. I currently have only Xonar DG with these recently purchased HD 600. What do you guys think? Will there be problems with double amping if I do this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back