Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #871 of 13,350
You can also try the U.S./Canada GFCI equivalent. A trip switch. If you know what that is.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #872 of 13,350
Just a thought. How is the ground loop isolator supposed to help in this case? I mean isn't it connected between the Asgard and the computer with RCA. And if the humming is present even without the RCA can it help at all? Well I'm quite confused.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #873 of 13,350
I think your's and Barry's suspicions are correct, tubes.

Besides swapping tubes, swap the source cables (L/R)

Note:
Even with a protection relay, it's not good to cycle power with your cans plugged in.

I agree, one thing at a time, swap tubes first. That also accomplishes "re-inserting" them.

I believe that Valhalla, unlike Asgard and Lyr, does not have or need a relay. The tubes themselves provide slow on/off. My Valhalla is "plugged" all the time. I of course always have volume all the way down when powering.

My habits in this regard stem from years of using "speaker" amps to drive early Stax and Signet Electret phones. Somewhere along the line I "learned" that tube amps (Quicksilver and Sonic Frontiers in my case) don't "like" to be on and disconnected. (Correct my opinions as necessary, I'm no EE major).

Unlike my babbling here, my next Schiit post will be fun.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #874 of 13,350
It just tests the outlets to make sure they are wired / grounded correctly.
If grounds aren't properly terminated in a circuit they can act like an Antenna.

You probably have a defective unit.  These are just things you can check.
If they don't find the trouble you can tell Schiit that you have done everything you possibly could to correct the problem.

If you went to another home with your Asgard and your cans, plugged it in, and got the same noise... slam dunk it's the Asgard.
Since you don't need the computer to reproduce the problem.  Should be very quick to do.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #875 of 13,350

The two Valhallas, each at perfect temperature, promised an evening of musical bliss.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #877 of 13,350
Quote:
Just a thought. How is the ground loop isolator supposed to help in this case? I mean isn't it connected between the Asgard and the computer with RCA. And if the humming is present even without the RCA can it help at all? Well I'm quite confused.

As OP tested no noise directly from soundcard, noise present even without RCA.
Leads to the problem being with a groundloop and the amplifier.

The ground loops isolators uses a transformer to eliminate the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back