Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 28, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #856 of 13,350
Hello all,

I'm having a odd issue with my shiny new Valhalla. Intermittently the right channel would just cut out, I have experimented with different sources, cables and headphones and the issue is definitely with the amp. However when the right channel is dead if I turn the amp off the right channel would come back (residual power?) on then I can turn the amp on and both channels would stay working. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm thinking it may be caused by faulty tubes.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #857 of 13,350
I'm a newbie in these. I just received my Asgard and plugged my Senn HD 600 in it and it hums very loudly. Even with only the headphones plugged in it.

Only power cord and headphones plugged and I get this sound, what is going on? And with volume at zero.

Also slight variations in this noise at times. Edit: The humming exists only on the left side of the phones. No humming when connected directly to sound card. Sounds seem to be quieter on the left side when through amp.

You might want to try plugging the Asgard into some other circuits at your house. You could also try using a three prong to two-prong "cheater" plug. Sometimes issues with noisy circuits can bleed into audio equipment. If that doesn't help, call Schiit.

Dec 28, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #858 of 13,350
Hello all,

I'm having a odd issue with my shiny new Valhalla. Intermittently the right channel would just cut out, I have experimented with different sources, cables and headphones and the issue is definitely with the amp. However when the right channel is dead if I turn the amp off the right channel would come back (residual power?) on then I can turn the amp on and both channels would stay working. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I'm thinking it may be caused by faulty tubes.

Have you tried swapping the left and right channel tubes? That would confirm a tube issue if the problems appeared in the opposite channel.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #859 of 13,350
Quote:
I'm a newbie in these. I just received my Asgard and plugged my Senn HD 600 in it and it hums very loudly. Even with only the headphones plugged in it.

Only power cord and headphones plugged and I get this sound, what is going on? And with volume at zero.

Also slight variations in this noise at times. Edit: The humming exists only on the left side of the phones. No humming when connected directly to sound card. Sounds seem to be quieter on the left side when through amp.

To troubleshoot a problem you need to isolate "knowns" and "unknowns".  What works.

1) I take it that that no hum exists when the cans are plugged into the sound card and the Asgard is out of the loop.  Cans work, sound card works.

2) Left side hums.  Try reversing the left and right input cables (red / white) Does the hum move to the right?

3) If you have a different source.  CD player, try it.

4) Test your AC outlet for proper wiring and grounding.  This tool is inexpensive and you should own one anyway to make sure you throw the right breaker when performing maintenance on a circuit.  You can pick one up at Lowes or Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/Sperry-GFI6302-GFCI-Outlet-Tester/dp/B000RUL2UU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1356718897&sr=8-5&keywords=ac+tester

5) If possible isolate the AC power source of the computer and the Asgard to separate to circuits.  You may need an extension cord.  Make sure the AC circuit is not overloaded or has high current devices like motors on it (ceiling fans).  If there is a power strip involved take one device off the strip and/or remove all devices from the strip except the Asgard and the computer.

6) Check that the source interconnect cables are not touching any power cables.

7) If you do have dirty power I love this device:

http://www.amazon.com/Furman-AC-215A-Conditioner-Auto-Resetting-Protection/dp/B003PJ6NPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356719596&sr=8-1&keywords=furman+ac-215a

[size=small]It's more than a surge [/size][size=small]suppressor, it actually conditions/corrects the power.  Furman makes professional grade products.  It only has 2 outlets.  If you get one, do not hang a power strip off the Furman.  Instead put the 2 most sensitive devices on the Furman and hang the Furman off a power strip.[/size]

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #860 of 13,350
Quote:
Hello all,

I think your's and Barry's suspicions are correct, tubes.

Besides swapping tubes, swap the source cables (L/R)

Note:
Even with a protection relay, it's not good to cycle power with your cans plugged in.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #861 of 13,350
Quote:

I had weird issues with my Asgard when plugged into a specific outlet in my house, so I'll echo what others have said here, definitely try a few different outlets and see it if goes away. If it's still there don't panic, Schiit will take care of you.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #862 of 13,350
Quote:

I had weird issues with my Asgard when plugged into a specific outlet in my house, so I'll echo what others have said here, definitely try a few different outlets and see it if goes away. If it's still there don't panic, Schiit will take care of you.

I tried the amp with every sockets in the house, also with everything else unplugged. Only power cord and headphones connected. No changes. I guess I should try a ground loop isolator next. I don't live in USA and not sure if I can get one of those before monday as many of the electronic parts stores are closed here on weekends. I find it quite weird that this only affects the left side of the phones. When connected to sound card, everything is normal. Can it still be a ground loop problem when it affects only one side of the phones? Thanks.

Edit: Also tried with two different power cords.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #863 of 13,350
Quote:
I tried the amp with every sockets in the house, also with everything else unplugged. Only power cord and headphones connected. No changes. I guess I should try a ground loop isolator next. I don't live in USA and not sure if I can get one of those before monday as many of the electronic parts stores are closed here on weekends. I find it quite weird that this only affects the left side of the phones. When connected to sound card, everything is normal. Can it still be a ground loop problem when it affects only one side of the phones? Thanks.

Edit: Also tried with two different power cords.

Did you swap the left and right input cables?

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #865 of 13,350
I don't think I am following you....

1) The hum is present ONLY when just the headphones are plugged in to the Asgard?  The computer is NOT connected?   Yes/No

2) The hum Goes Away when the headphones and the Asgard are plugged into the computer?  With no music playing and at all volumes, no hum?  Yes/No.

3) Since I assumed you were getting humming on the left side When Plugged into the Computer, I wanted you to roll the cables to see it it moved to the right side.  Naturally, if the hum only occurs when it's not plugged into the computer there are no cables to roll.

4) If there is a hum/noise when plugged into the computer, do you have a CD/DVD player or other source (iPhone) that you can plug directly into the Asgard to test?

5) If #1 is the case, there is some sort of impedance issue going on, such that it Goes Away when there is a Load on the inputs.  That sounds like an AC power issue.  PC's have power supplies with fans.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #866 of 13,350
Quote:
I don't think I am following you....

1) The hum is present ONLY when just the headphones are plugged in to the Asgard?  The computer is NOT connected?   Yes/No

2) The hum Goes Away when the headphones and the Asgard are plugged into the computer?  With no music playing and at all volumes, no hum?  Yes/No.

3) Since I assumed you were getting humming on the left side When Plugged into the Computer, I wanted you to roll the cables to see it it moved to the right side.  Naturally, if the hum only occurs when it's not plugged into the computer there are no cables to roll.

4) If there is a hum/noise when plugged into the computer, do you have a CD/DVD player or other source (iPhone) that you can plug directly into the Asgard to test?

5) If #1 is the case, there is some sort of impedance issue going on, such that it Goes Away when there is a Load on the inputs.  That sounds like an AC power issue.  PC's have power supplies with fans.

1. No, humming is present all the times with Asgard, connected to PC or not. Or only headphones in or not.

2. No, humming does not go away when the Asgard is connected to computer. Only when headphones are directly connected to sound card the humming disappears. (no Asgard)

3. Sorry, was a bit badly explained. Hopefully not this one.

4. Not really anything else to test with. But the humming occurs all the time with Asgard anywhere with any sockets or connections.

5. As short as possible: Whenever the Asgard is used the humming stays the same also volume levels don't affect. But no humming occurs in any setup that doesn't have the Asgard in it.

Also this humming only affects the left side of the headphones. The right side plays probably fine but is hard to listen while large hissing sound comes from the left side. The left side also plays music but in a very little volume. Maybe as in 1/5 of the right side but hard to hear from the hissing.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #867 of 13,350
You should probably try a cheater plug with Asgard in the mix. You can also try swapping the RCA to see if the hiss goes to the right channel.

It's most likely a ground loop issue.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #868 of 13,350
Quote:
You should probably try a cheater plug with Asgard in the mix. You can also try swapping the RCA to see if the hiss goes to the right channel.

It's most likely a ground loop issue.

Swapped the RCA. No change. The hissing is there also without the RCA plugged. About the cheater plug. I don't know how to go about it with European sockets. But I could get a ground loop isolator at least.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #869 of 13,350
Quote:
Swapped the RCA. No change. The hissing is there also without the RCA plugged. About the cheater plug. I don't know how to go about it with European sockets. But I could get a ground loop isolator at least.

It's not the RCA then. (I've had some RCA's cause noise with my Lyr). The ground loop isolator should be the fix.

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #870 of 13,350
Quote:
1. No, humming is present all the times with Asgard, connected to PC or not. Or only headphones in or not.

2. No, humming does not go away when the Asgard is connected to computer. Only when headphones are directly connected to sound card the humming disappears. (no Asgard)

3. Sorry, was a bit badly explained. Hopefully not this one.

4. Not really anything else to test with. But the humming occurs all the time with Asgard anywhere with any sockets or connections.

5. As short as possible: Whenever the Asgard is used the humming stays the same also volume levels don't affect. But no humming occurs in any setup that doesn't have the Asgard in it.

Also this humming only affects the left side of the headphones. The right side plays probably fine but is hard to listen while large hissing sound comes from the left side. The left side also plays music but in a very little volume. Maybe as in 1/5 of the right side but hard to hear from the hissing.

I'm out of suggestions.
As the "dox's" says try the source cable roll. (maybe you already did this... if so, sorry)
Since I'm leaning toward AC power issues dox's Cheater Plug will isolate a whacked out ground.

Sooo... take the PC out of the loop.  We have to eliminate the noise.... Thinking out loud, it's the power or the Asgard has issues.....  What about taking it to a friends house to plug in? 

EDIT:  That said the friends AC power is an "unknown".   We need "knowns"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back