Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #845 of 13,350
Quote:
I have a question.  Can Asgard drive HE500? or not?  maybe someone already answer this question already, but I like to know.

Thank you

If the magni can drive the he-400, I'm pretty sure the asgard can drive the he500 :3 Man, are the hifiman 400/500's that hard to drive? These are standalone amps and should do the job. HE-6 is the only one i'm hearing that needs an amp like the dark star to drive those suckers to the limit.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #846 of 13,350
Quote:
I have a question.  Can Asgard drive HE500? or not?  maybe someone already answer this question already, but I like to know.

Thank you

Yes it can.  I was very happy with my Asgard/HE-500 until one day I went crazy and got a Lyr and Bifrost.   The Asgard drove the 500's very well and sinfully  loud without any distortion.  Good combo.
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #847 of 13,350
Quote:

Thank you

Yes it can. Sure, more expensive / more powerful amps may drive it even better, but the Asgard is good for basically anything short of the HE6.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #848 of 13,350
I'm pretty sure the Magni is actually stronger for anything higher than 50ohm.

Asgard:

32 ohms: 1.56 W
50 ohms: 1.0 W
100 ohms: 500 mW
120 ohms: 833 mW
300 ohms: 167 mW
600 ohms: 83 mW

Magni:

32 ohms: 1.2W
50 ohms: 1.0W
300 ohms: 260mW
600 ohms: 130mW

I've always said it, the Asgard needs a revision. :p

The Magni has some serious power for such a small body. I'm not impressed with the Asgard's power specs. At 600ohms, that's basically identical to the $88 Fiio E9 (80mw). Power isn't everything, but damn. I expected more.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #850 of 13,350
Hello, schiit owners,

As a possible future schiit owner, I have some questions:

I've read around about schiits not having "protection" and some things about relays. As you can tell, I have close to no idea what those mean technically. But from What I've read, it seems not having a relay or protection can quite literally destroy your headphone.

I'm wondering if this is true, or if there is a special way one must handle a schiit amp. More specifically I am interested in the lyr.

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #851 of 13,350
Quote:
Hello, schiit owners,

I've read around about schiits not having "protection" and some things about relays. As you can tell, I have close to no idea what those mean technically. But from What I've read, it seems not having a relay or protection can quite literally destroy your headphone.

I'm wondering if this is true, or if there is a special way one must handle a schiit amp. More specifically I am interested in the lyr.

I believe the issue has been rectified, quick search of similar Schiit thread would mention that.  Relays are now currently in place to stop that from happening.

It's still good practice to plug your 'phones in and out before powering on/off equipment anyway.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #852 of 13,350
Quote:
Hello, schiit owners,

All new Lyrs come with the relay that prevents this potential issue, although there's certainly no harm in plugging in your cans after turning the amp on and unplugging them before you turn it off for extra peace of mind.

The Lyr didn't initially have the relay, so you could potentially blow your high sensitivity headphones if you left them plugged in while turning it on. This was offered as a free update to initial Lyr owners; it is always possible they didn't bother sending theirs back to Schiit to have the relay added, so if you're buying a used Lyr you'll want to ask the owner if it has the relay. You can tell if it does by listening for it when it's turned on; if it has the relay you'll hear it click 10 or so seconds after you power on the amp.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #853 of 13,350
Quote:
Hello, schiit owners,

This was recently re-addressed by Schiit in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/270

Here's the post by Jason:

"Ok, to clear things up:

1. We know of exactly one case of a defective Lyr killing a headphone, post-relay. The person posts on this board--and he will tell you that we told him "it is defective, send it back and we'll fix it." He actually wanted to keep the amp, he was so happy with it, and kept it to the point where it blew up a headphone. If you have friends who have blown up headphones with Lyr, post-relay, they're not talking to us. And they should. In that case, the amp is defective, and we will fix it.

2. Any defect in our products is magnified on the forums, due to our large volume production. We have literally thousands of Lyrs and Asgards out in the world. If they had lots of issues, we simply wouldn't be a viable business. Our stuff is extremely reliable. Remember, Mike and I have been doing this for several decades. If you check the resale prices on 20-year-old Sumo and Theta gear, you'll get a pretty good idea that we build solid products.

To repeat some stuff from other threads regarding the relays, etc:

1. Why did the Asgard and Lyr not have relay protection when we first launched? When we started the company two years ago, we assumed we were building the highest-possible sonic performance products for an audience looking for the same, and who knew that this could involve taking some precautions. It's very common in megabuck gear to have a "turn on sequence," for example, where if you turn on the preamp after the power amp, you might be looking at voice coils. I'm not saying this is right, I'm just saying this is how it is. Now, we understand clearly that we have to provide reasonable protection. 

2. As far as we know, all early Asgard owners have been notified, and all who wanted the relay mute have it. A lot of people don't want relays. Of course, others still trickle in from secondhand and thirdhand owners. Relays have been in place since August 2011. If you want to know if an Asgard has a relay, ask the owner if there's a noticeable click 15-20 seconds after it powers up.

3. Only about 10% of total Lyr production went out without a relay. However, although early Lyr owners were notified, the take rate on the relay addition is very low. Most don't want it. Again, if you want to know if it has the relay, ask the owner about the click.

4. If you were not notified, or if you buy an early production Lyr or Asgard that has not had the relay added, the offer stands to retrofit any of them, from any owner (original or second/third/fourth/etc hand) for free. You only pay for shipping. "

I personally have the Lyr and Asgard. Can't remember how many times I've forgotten to unplug my cans before turning on or off. No damage or issues to report. Both have the fix built in from the assembly line. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #854 of 13,350
Use the search function. This question has been asked how many times now. I don't mean so sound like a jackass.
It's the same thing over and over and over. Seriously.

If you know about the relay issues of the past, then you should be able to figure how and where to source the information.

Stop being lazy.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #855 of 13,350
I'm a newbie in these. I just received my Asgard and plugged my Senn HD 600 in it and it hums very loudly. Even with only the headphones plugged in it.

Only power cord and headphones plugged and I get this sound, what is going on? And with volume at zero.

Also slight variations in this noise at times. Edit: The humming exists only on the left side of the phones. No humming when connected directly to sound card. Sounds seem to be quieter on the left side when through amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back