Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #751 of 13,350
Quote:

For Denons and Grados I'd go with the Asgard. Even with the LCD-2s I don't go past around 9 o'clock on the dial to get sufficient volume.

Lyr will provide more dynamics and openness no matter what headphones you have, or volume you are at, due to the extreme headroom. It's not just about volume level. 

Also it also has preamp outs so you can use it with powered speakers as well, which I do with great results.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #752 of 13,350
Quote:
Would you also go with the Asgard for the HD600 or DT880? 

Also, anyone here own both the Asgard and Lyr? What are your thoughts on both? Which do you end up using more? 

HD600s were my main cans before the LCD-2s and are excellent with the Asgard; haven't tried the DT880s. While I don't own the Lyr I got to try dailydoseofdaly's for a few hours with his collection of tubes. Personally I actually like the Asgard better, I guess I prefer relatively uncolored solid state sound and don't listen loud enough to benefit from the Lyr? Not sure of the specifics why, but to my ears the various tubes made the Lyr go from a bit worse (more colored) to very similar to the Asgard. I also appreciate not having to worry about replacing tubes, but some people certainly enjoy their tube rolling.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #753 of 13,350
Quote:
Would you also go with the Asgard for the HD600 or DT880? 

Also, anyone here own both the Asgard and Lyr? What are your thoughts on both? Which do you end up using more? 

DT880 + Asgard = match made in heaven.  I only have the 250 ohm verison, though.  Sorry, no Lyr to make comparisons with, although when I asked Jason about it, he recommended the Asgard above the others for the DT880s.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #754 of 13,350
Happy Thanksgiving and happy listening!
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #755 of 13,350
Hi there, I own a Valhalla and after some tube rolling now I can say It´s a Great Amp... Pair it with my K702's and my source is a Cambridge AudioDAC Magic 100....

Now I use a pair of Amperex tubes and switched them depending on the type of music I listen to a pair of Telefunken.... These tubes made a HUGE improvement!!!!

I´m new in Audiophilia and Headphones world... but as my first setup I think I made some good purchases.

Greetings,
Mike

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #757 of 13,350
Quote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like Schiit has their short balanced XLR cables for the Gungnir+Mjolnir stack in stock.

Jason made an announcement in a different thread. The PYST XLR cable's use
Straightwire Symphony II cable.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #758 of 13,350
Just bought Hifiman HE-500 recently and I've been pairing them with the Lyr. Holy schiit these cans sound amazing with the Lyr! I've been using stock E88CC tubes about 9 months and it's about time to get into tuberolling with this beast.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #759 of 13,350
Just bought Hifiman HE-500 recently and I've been pairing them with the Lyr. Holy schiit these cans sound amazing with the Lyr! I've been using stock E88CC tubes about 9 months and it's about time to get into tuberolling with this beast.

try the amperex ones!!!!!!!! I have siemens, russians from the 60´s, teslas, and telefunken´s.... and I can assure you the AMPEREX are amazing...

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #761 of 13,350
Tubes for the Lyr....
Presently listening to the 1969 Amprex Orange Globes.
They are an incredible upgrade over the stock tubes.

My expectations for the 1962 Amprex Bugle Boys is they won't sound as good. I could be wrong.
Since I only have 60 hours on my HD650 it will be some time before I roll again.

Then there's the 1965 Amprex USA.  These are supposed to be very rare and very, very good.
The question will be if I roll them at all.  They are only NOS once. 

To anyone not sure about trying another tube......Try other tubes!
The Bugle Boy's and the Orange Globes were about $60 / pair.
I can't emphasize what a difference I am hearing.  They're not making 1965 tubes anymore.

It's counterintuitive that electronics from the 50's and 60's will sound better than
todays electronics. 
beyersmile.png
o2smile.gif

Come on.  It's 60$  You can find something to rationalize $60

I don't have much experience yet and down the road I suspect I'l
try Telefunken and Mullard.  At this point I am delighted with Amprex.

I am clueless on Valhalla.

OK.  I'm slightly off my gord.
One time only offer.
You have to be a Lyr owner with stock tubes...... No experienced tube rollers.

I will loan you my Bugle Boy's.
You read that right.
I'll send them out USPS
Post what you think and send them back in a month.

I'm new to the community and I'd like to contribute.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #762 of 13,350
Quote:
Tubes for the Lyr....

My expectations for the 1962 Amprex Bugle Boys is they won't sound as good. I could be wrong.
Since I only have 60 hours on my HD650 it will be some time before I roll again.

Then there's the 1965 Amprex USA.  These are supposed to be very rare and very, very good.

I can't emphasize what a difference I am hearing.  They're not making 1965 tubes anymore.

It's counterintuitive that electronics from the 50's and 60's will sound better than
todays electronics. 
beyersmile.png
o2smile.gif

One time only offer.

You read that right.
I'll send them out USPS

Very kind of you to loan these tubes....I wish I had Lyr!
deadhorse.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #763 of 13,350
Tubes for the Lyr....

todays electronics. :beyersmile: :o2smile:

One time only offer.

You read that right.
I'll send them out USPS

Nice tubes... I am waiting on a pair of 60´s Siemens I bought from a guy in Italy...I already try the telefunken and I find them just a little bit less detail than the amperex...

I´ll just stay on the amperex... because the rest are really expensive and maybe we wont get the a batter result on them...

I´ll spend that money in new headphones now instead...

What do you think?

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #764 of 13,350
Quote:
Nice tubes... I am waiting on a pair of 60´s Siemens I bought from a guy in Italy...I already try the telefunken and I find them just a little bit less detail than the amperex...
I´ll just stay on the amperex... because the rest are really expensive and maybe we wont get the a batter result on them...
I´ll spend that money in new headphones now instead...
What do you think?

I truly agree.
The Amprex sound so sweet to me, I don't want to try anything else.  Simply exquisite.

The Amprex NOS USA are on their way.   Expensive, yes too.  I'm done ... for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back