Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #736 of 13,350
Quote:
Question, is it safe to turn on the Lyr first and then plug in headphones? And then when I want to turn it off, unplug the headphones first?

Is this the best way to operate?

Quote:
That's common safe practice.

Quote:
This is the recommended practice.

To be perfectly honest, however, I sometimes forget and leave my 701s plugged in during on/off, and have never heard the 'pop'/'crackle' experienced on systems without the relay.

I found this in another thread, straight from the source:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/542064/schiit-lyr-shipping-impressions/2265#post_8481528

Hey all,

To clarify: all current Lyrs have relay mute on turn-on and turn-off, so you can leave your headphones plugged in all the time if you'd like. However, I personally still like the extra safety of unplugging before turn-off and plugging in after the relay has engaged. It's an old habit--hard to get rid of.

All the best,
Jason

So it looks like it's safe to leave headphones plugged in all the time.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #737 of 13,350
Quote:

I found this in another thread, straight from the source:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/542064/schiit-lyr-shipping-impressions/2265#post_8481528

So it looks like it's safe to leave headphones plugged in all the time.

Until the mute/relay fails...Which is possible, but unlikely.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #738 of 13,350
I honestly don't know if this was answered, but which of the three (Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr) would be the best option to be used as a versatile amp that can drive and sound good with pretty much all headphones (Grado, Denon, AKG K550/K701, Sennheiser HD600, etc)? 

My fear with the Asgard is that it'll run hot - too hot; and for some reason that really concerns me, don't know why. However, from what I've heard, it'd be the solution to my problem: the do-it-all amp. 

So, please give me some suggestions! I've been leaning towards the Lyr, but I've heard that it can be overkill for some of the headphones I mentioned.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #739 of 13,350
Quote:
I honestly don't know if this was answered, but which of the three (Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr) would be the best option to be used as a versatile amp that can drive and sound good with pretty much all headphones (Grado, Denon, AKG K550/K701, Sennheiser HD600, etc)? 

My fear with the Asgard is that it'll run hot - too hot; and for some reason that really concerns me, don't know why. However, from what I've heard, it'd be the solution to my problem: the do-it-all amp. 

So, please give me some suggestions! I've been leaning towards the Lyr, but I've heard that it can be overkill for some of the headphones I mentioned.

Depends on how long you leave the Asgard on. It's currently in the low 80's around here and my amp gets warm to the touch after 1 hour. Nothing that would burn me...

From what I know the Asgard and Lyr are versatile amps while the Valhalla is recommended more for high impedance amps.

I was in the same train of thought as you and figured I'd get the Asgard since I don't plan to get phones in the future that require a lot of power. I hear the HE-400 type phones need quite a bit sometimes.

My AKG k272HD are just fine with my bifrost/asgard combo.

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #740 of 13,350
Slade, that's some sexy schiit you've got in your setup.

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #741 of 13,350
Very nice set-up SladeWilson!
Congrats!!
beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #742 of 13,350
I have a question on 220V to 120V converter to be used with schiit lyr and bifrost outside USA. I do have an converter which does 85 watts max, can I use it with Lyr and bifrost? is it safe?

Please suggest

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #743 of 13,350
Quote:

The heat simply isn't an issue.  Yeah, it's a bit hot.  Unless you sit it in your lap while listening, it's not a problem.

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #744 of 13,350
Quote:

For the headphones you mentioned (and for that matter for most anything short of the HE6) I would get the Asgard. Yeah it runs fairly warm but it's supposed to and it does have a 5 year warranty.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #745 of 13,350
The nominal consumption for the Lyr is 30W and the Bifrost is 12 W.  Technically, you should be ok, but weird power swings could max out your converter.  I'd ask Jason directly what the peak swings are in the devices just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
I have a question on 220V to 120V converter to be used with schiit lyr and bifrost outside USA. I do have an converter which does 85 watts max, can I use it with Lyr and bifrost? is it safe?

Please suggest

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #747 of 13,350
Quote:
For some reason I'm more intrigued by the Lyr than the Asgard... 

What are the key and/or main differences between the two (other than one being solid-state and the other tube)? 

Check out Schiits FAQs: http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-lyr/

Especially this part:

"Does Lyr sound better than Asgard and Valhalla?
Does a bear schiit in the . . . nevermind. Short answer: yes. It’s much more dynamic than either amp, and will drive inefficient headphones with power and finesse. Until you’ve heard a headphone amp that’ll do 40V p-p into 32 ohms, you haven’t lived. Or, well, maybe you have lived, maybe you’ve scaled Everest solo, maybe you wrestled a grizzly bear, maybe you’ve paid $20 million to be a space tourist . . . but you still haven’t heard our 6-watt headphone amp!"

I'm really digging my Lyr!

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #748 of 13,350
Quote:
Check out Schiits FAQs: http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-lyr/

Especially this part:

"Does Lyr sound better than Asgard and Valhalla?
Does a bear schiit in the . . . nevermind. Short answer: yes. It’s much more dynamic than either amp, and will drive inefficient headphones with power and finesse. Until you’ve heard a headphone amp that’ll do 40V p-p into 32 ohms, you haven’t lived. Or, well, maybe you have lived, maybe you’ve scaled Everest solo, maybe you wrestled a grizzly bear, maybe you’ve paid $20 million to be a space tourist . . . but you still haven’t heard our 6-watt headphone amp!"

I'm really digging my Lyr!

Exactly... I don't know why but the Lyr just intrigues me more, and yet I don't have any headphones that really need all that juice - strange... Good marketing on Schiit's part, 'cause the Lyr is obviously more expensive. 
wink_face.gif

Also, which would be better to use with, like Denons or Grados? The Asgard, right? 

Decisions, decisions... 

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #749 of 13,350
Quote:
Exactly... I don't know why but the Lyr just intrigues me more, and yet I don't have any headphones that really need all that juice - strange... Good marketing on Schiit's part, 'cause the Lyr is obviously more expensive. 
wink_face.gif

Also, which would be better to use with, like Denons or Grados? The Asgard, right? 

Decisions, decisions... 

For Denons and Grados I'd go with the Asgard. Even with the LCD-2s I don't go past around 9 o'clock on the dial to get sufficient volume.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #750 of 13,350
Quote:

For Denons and Grados I'd go with the Asgard. Even with the LCD-2s I don't go past around 9 o'clock on the dial to get sufficient volume.

Would you also go with the Asgard for the HD600 or DT880? 

Also, anyone here own both the Asgard and Lyr? What are your thoughts on both? Which do you end up using more? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back