Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #601 of 13,350
Quote:
Awesome!! Jason, is the serial number any indication? Mine is Lyr - SCH03D/000396 (purchased 2nd hand)?
With the relay in, could I leave my HD700 plugged in all the time? Right now, I disconnect before power off and reconnect 20-30 seconds after power on. PIA but dont want to kill a $1K set pf phones. Would be nice if I could keep them plugged in all the time.
Thank, M.

You should still get a transient bump even with relay. But it's low.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #602 of 13,350
By the way, a couple more days under my belt listening to the Bifrost/Valhalla combo (and I only have Sennheiser HD 650 remember), and I really don't think my (attenuated, tinnitus-ridden) ears could discern much improvement, it sounds so good already.  If I ever get stupid and buy something more demanding headphone-wise, maybe I'll just have to buy a Lyr, too.  :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #603 of 13,350
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a bifrost and lyr for my headphones, whole system powered via optical from my Mac.

That said at times I do like to use some simple powered speakers for certain things, can I simply plug these into the RCA output of the lyr? Or am I better off putting a RCA splitter in between the two and plug them in there?

Speakers are a cheap set of powered Logitech ones with volume control (I note the RCA out on the lyr is controlled by the volume POT).
Thanks
Paul

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #604 of 13,350
Love my Bifrost -> Lyr -> 701 setup. Think I'll be getting an LCD-2 soon after having a chance to hear it with the Schiit stack, and maybe upgrade to the statement dac/amp and an LCD-3 in the future.

Not a ton of real input, but just another schiity fan chiming in :wink:

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #605 of 13,350
It all depends on which sound you prefer. Coming out of the amp, the sound will be slightly colored, and it will be less colored from the DAC. Try it both ways and see what you like most. But, I wouldn't use a splitter of the DAC. Unplug the Lyr and plug in the speakers.

Hi all,
I'm looking to purchase a bifrost and lyr for my headphones, whole system powered via optical from my Mac.
That said at times I do like to use some simple powered speakers for certain things, can I simply plug these into the RCA output of the lyr? Or am I better off putting a RCA splitter in between the two and plug them in there?
Speakers are a cheap set of powered Logitech ones with volume control (I note the RCA out on the lyr is controlled by the volume POT).
Thanks
Paul

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #606 of 13,350
Quote:
It all depends on which sound you prefer. Coming out of the amp, the sound will be slightly colored, and it will be less colored from the DAC. Try it both ways and see what you like most. But, I wouldn't use a splitter of the DAC. Unplug the Lyr and plug in the speakers.

Thats something I always wondered about, do you feel the splitter degrades the sound or is there some other issue?

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #607 of 13,350
Splitters can degrade the signal, and if the impedances are off, you can have some very strange results.

Quote:

Thats something I always wondered about, do you feel the splitter degrades the sound or is there some other issue?

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #608 of 13,350
Quote:
Splitters can degrade the signal, and if the impedances are off, you can have some very strange results.

Thanks, I was thinking of using some sort of splitter for my Bifrost but I guess it will just stay with the Lyr and I will split the cheaper DAC to the other amps.

Thanks again. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #612 of 13,350
Love my Bifrost -> Lyr -> 701 setup. Think I'll be getting an LCD-2 soon after having a chance to hear it with the Schiit stack, and maybe upgrade to the statement dac/amp and an LCD-3 in the future.

Not a ton of real input, but just another schiity fan chiming in :wink:

Agreed that the Lyr really makes the K701 sing, congrats!
:beerchug:

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #613 of 13,350
I've used shielded splitters before without negative effect that I could discern, so if you're willing to try it out and see, I'd suggest something like the Emotiva RCA splitters. I certainly wouldn't use any of the cheapo unshielded Y cables though

Quote:
beerchug.gif

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #614 of 13,350
Quote:

There's always the possibility but in real terms, there should be no discernible difference.  If there is an SQ effect, it should be more analogous to using different cables than "better or worse."

Quote:

Are you sure about that?  Split signals are overwhelmingly common.  Yeah, if the impedances are off, that's trouble, but as a rule...so just use well matched cables!

Quote:

Thanks, I was thinking of using some sort of splitter for my Bifrost but I guess it will just stay with the Lyr and I will split the cheaper DAC to the other amps.

Thanks again. 
beerchug.gif

I wouldn't worry about it.  I've been running my Bifrosts with Audioquest Y splitters (I originally used them because they were the shortest cable I could find in the pre-Pyst days...)  for a long time.  If there was any degredation, it wasn't detectable to me.  I also made some changes to my HE-6 setup yesterday (added the HE-Adapter (resistor box) to my big Marantz power amp, replacing my Black Dragon banana->XLR cable with some huge Signal Cable speaker cables, and added some BJC Y-splitters to my WDS-1's balanced XLR outs to prepare for splitting it to the incoming Mjolnir and the Marantz (the unbalanced outs go to Lyr, the other Lyr's on a Bifrost, and the other Bifrost has been moved but not connected yet to the speaker rig.)  The result of adding the splitters not only did not degrade the sound but the sound improved a bit.  Granted, it didn't improve because I added splitters, but because I added resistance to the chain via both the -3dB loss of the splitter plus the resistor box (HE-Adapter), I'm more into the power curve of the amp and sending a stronger signal from the DAC (less attenuation all around, better SNR, better fine volume control.)  The point is the splitters didn't create magic harm to the signal.  Just get good quality ones, and you'll be fine.

What you will see is a -3dB signal level loss when using a Y-splitter.  With Lyr I don't see that as a disadvantage...anything that buys a little more play in the volume knob is a plus
biggrin.gif

Quote:
beerchug.gif

+2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back