Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #586 of 13,350
Bifrost + Lyr + HE-500 = More than I'll ever want, very content with this setup! Mostly listen to Electronica/Dance/Club music and I love the punch I get in the mids and clarity in the highs. Found my perfect combo but still one thing to get right is to find out which tube's will give me that perfect balance that I want in my music. One set I have gives more of a boomy sound in the lows but losses clarity, the other gives the opposite. Was hearing a lot of good things about the Telefunken E288CC tubes, so I caved and bought a set, can't wait to hear them out!

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #589 of 13,350
There have been. Such the same as Lyr: 20 second relay-switched delayed output and immediate relay mute on turn-off.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #591 of 13,350
Quote:
Yes there is the relay. They added the relay pretty soon after the first problems occured..

So, it's safe now to say there haven't been anyone lately with damaged headphones from the asgard? (I know isn't healthy to plug a sensitive headphone on the lyr, but my interest is only on the asgard).

I was wondering how the Bifrost + Asgard combo fares against the Centrance DACmini CX, since the latter isn't much more expensive than the schiit combo.

Have anyone put them on a side by side comparison?

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #592 of 13,350
Quote:
 So, it's safe now to say there haven't been anyone lately with damaged headphones from the asgard? (I know isn't healthy to plug a sensitive headphone on the lyr, but my interest is only on the asgard).

I was wondering how the Bifrost + Asgard combo fares against the Centrance DACmini CX, since the latter isn't much more expensive than the schiit combo.

Have anyone put them on a side by side comparison?

No, it's fine. And the Asgard problem was limited. It was however blown out of proportion, but it's fixed.
Sensitive headphones will work on Lyr with care on the pot, but it's not optimal. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #593 of 13,350
There have been. Such the same as Lyr: 20 second relay-switched delayed output and immediate relay mute on turn-off.

I'm really glad they added those relays, but the used market for the Lyr and Asgard remains somewhat of a cr@pshoot because of this.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #594 of 13,350
Quote:
I'm really glad they added those relays, but the used market for the Lyr and Asgard remains somewhat of a cr@pshoot because of this.

Well, I'd say only for the earlier batches. But I see your point. I don't ever hear about the relay being inquired about in F/S listings.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #595 of 13,350

Or you can just unplug your headphones before turning it off. I agree it isn't ideal, but it really isn't at all difficult to deal with.

I also recall that Jason posted here right after it came up indicating that they had done lots of power cycles with a pair of HD650s and they're still working fine (I think he said it was the pair that they used to test all of their Asgards, so that was probably a lot of power cycles).

But with that said they did add the relay; I still always unplug my headphones first then switch off the amp then the DAC, but you shouldn't have any problems if you leave them plugged in.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #596 of 13,350
Quote:

As of this point in time:

1. As far as we know, all early Asgard owners have been notified, and all who wanted the relay mute have it. A lot of people don't want relays. Of course, others still trickle in from secondhand and thirdhand owners. Relays have been in place since August 2011. If you want to know if an Asgard has a relay, ask the owner if there's a noticeable click 15-20 seconds after it powers up.

2. Only about 10% of total Lyr production went out without a relay. However, although early Lyr owners were notified, the take rate on the relay addition is very low. Most don't want it. Again, if you want to know if it has the relay, ask the owner about the click.

3. If you were not notified, or if you buy an early production Lyr or Asgard that has not had the relay added, the offer stands to retrofit any of them, from any owner (original or second/third/fourth/etc hand) for free. You only pay for shipping. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #597 of 13,350
This latter discussion wouldn't apply in my case, if I choose the asgard, I would buy it new, probably from schiit.com directly.
Thanks for the answer guys.

I'm still searching (and wondering) about the Bifrost + Asgards vs DacMini CX

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #598 of 13,350
Jason's always on the case to clarify.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #600 of 13,350
Awesome!! Jason, is the serial number any indication? Mine is Lyr - SCH03D/000396 (purchased 2nd hand)?
With the relay in, could I leave my HD700 plugged in all the time? Right now, I disconnect before power off and reconnect 20-30 seconds after power on. PIA but dont want to kill a $1K set pf phones. Would be nice if I could keep them plugged in all the time.
Thank, M.
Quote:

2. Only about 10% of total Lyr production went out without a relay. However, although early Lyr owners were notified, the take rate on the relay addition is very low. Most don't want it. Again, if you want to know if it has the relay, ask the owner about the click.

3. If you were not notified, or if you buy an early production Lyr or Asgard that has not had the relay added, the offer stands to retrofit any of them, from any owner (original or second/third/fourth/etc hand) for free. You only pay for shipping. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back