Schiit Owners Unite
May 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #286 of 13,350
$20 refund issued! I feel a whole lot better about the seller and transaction now. Still have to go to Home Depot tomorrow and try to find some stick-on rubber feet (any suggestions would be welcomed). And will be waiting for the transformer from Amazon to arrive next week. Thanks for all of the help and concern, and thanks to Jason @ Schiit for the advice and support!

May 16, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #288 of 13,350
Have an Asgard. Loving ever minute of music
beyersmile.png

May 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #290 of 13,350
Glad to hear the refund was issued and there is a happy ending. Well, the agony of not being able to listen yet isn't so happy, but it seems to have worked out well.

Any rubber feet set would work. Don't spend over $4 on a set. I went to the mom and pop hardware store in my neighborhood to buy larger feet because the stock ones were kinda small for my liking. Cost me about $2-3.

$20 refund issued! I feel a whole lot better about the seller and transaction now. Still have to go to Home Depot tomorrow and try to find some stick-on rubber feet (any suggestions would be welcomed). And will be waiting for the transformer from Amazon to arrive next week. Thanks for all of the help and concern, and thanks to Jason @ Schiit for the advice and support!

May 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #292 of 13,350
Quote:
Well, a couple of issues: there was no power cord ( I have a couple of spares around the house, so no big deal), no stick-on feet (I can get a set from Home Depot), no owner's manual ( I emailed Jason @ Schiit and he emailed me a downloadable copy) and the amp I got is the international model (230VAC). However Jason emailed me back with advice on which step-up transformer to get ( for less than $17). So the deal could have been better. The extra set of tubes was included.

That's awful about the transformer but I'm glad Jason was able to set you up with the right product to get it going anyway!  I agree on feet.  Lots of people "upgrade" their feet to give some height.  I don't see a need to do so, but it's all preference.  Sticky feet are generally cheap, though the clear ones I normally see aren't as malliable as the black ones Schiit supplies stock.  there are bigger nicer feet out there like the 3M IsolateIT! line if you prefer more height than the little stock nubs.

The power cord you're better off without.  I presume Schiit gets them from Monoprice in bulk.  Nothing wrong with Monoprice, but some of their stuff is a little out of spec.  The NEMA plugs on the 115v version don't fit as tight in the socket as I'd like and could get knocked out if you don't have the back of the unit out of the way, as I don't.  I bought a Cables 2 Go short cord with a right angle wall plug (I only needed a foot or two to go to a short power strip) and the NEMA plug fits much more tightly in the back of the amp.  No chance of knocking it out.

May 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #293 of 13,350
Proud and happy Lyr-owner here. 

Had some issues with my first Lyr, but Jason was just about the most helpful person I've ever had the pleasure of talking to. HAT OFF! 

Now I'm pondering the Mjolnir. I'm just not sure about what the sound will be like compared to the Lyr. 

May 19, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #294 of 13,350
I have been holding out for the statement gear but gee that new intermediate balanced amp is tempting. The HE6 love power. I really hope that the statement amp has even more....:)

May 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #295 of 13,350
Very cool thread.

Owner of Bifrost and Lyr rolled, of course.

I'm also tempted by the Mjolnir but I don't think the Lyr will lack behind the Mjolnir in the sound department. So holding out for the statement.

May 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #296 of 13,350
Quote:
I have been holding out for the statement gear but gee that new intermediate balanced amp is tempting. The HE6 love power. I really hope that the statement amp has even more....
smily_headphones1.gif

I was about to say there's no need for balanced anything unless you need insane amounts of power.  Then I saw the word "HE6".  The only headphone even Lyr is below the rated 8W power.  Mjolnir it is!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Very cool thread.

Owner of Bifrost and Lyr rolled, of course.

I'm also tempted by the Mjolnir but I don't think the Lyr will lack behind the Mjolnir in the sound department. So holding out for the statement.

My thinking on Mjolnir is, beyond pandering to the "must have balanced" crowd, is that it effectively is a Lyr with SS convenience instead of messing with tubes.  The FAQ says that the tubes were the only way to get the kind of gain required, but if you split that power in half via balanced, it would make sense you could do it without crazy gain on the tubes. 

Statement should be more interesting since I expect a single ended out as well.   However I also suspect it'll be a full blown preamp component, not just a headamp.  That's sheer speculation on my part based on the hints that it'll be totally different, and based on the idea that Lyr played with the notion of pre-amp first.

But I consider myself at end-game with Lyr.  What the heck else does one need?
L3000.gif

May 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #297 of 13,350
Quote:

I was about to say there's no need for balanced anything unless you need insane amounts of power.  Then I saw the word "HE6".  The only headphone even Lyr is below the rated 8W power.  Mjolnir it is!
biggrin.gif

My thinking on Mjolnir is, beyond pandering to the "must have balanced" crowd, is that it effectively is a Lyr with SS convenience instead of messing with tubes.  The FAQ says that the tubes were the only way to get the kind of gain required, but if you split that power in half via balanced, it would make sense you could do it without crazy gain on the tubes. 

Statement should be more interesting since I expect a single ended out as well.   However I also suspect it'll be a full blown preamp component, not just a headamp.  That's sheer speculation on my part based on the hints that it'll be totally different, and based on the idea that Lyr played with the notion of pre-amp first.

But I consider myself at end-game with Lyr.  What the heck else does one need?
L3000.gif

Well, I remember Jason saying the Lyr with variety of tubes (top tier) scales nicely. (Which it does)
So the difference would be in noise. You can use the Mjolnir with sensitive phones or "blow" them up with Lyr. 
biggrin.gif

And then there's the whole 8w of power for the HE-6. (May as well buy the Dark Star)

I guess if you're not into investing in tubes and like the whole ability to change the sound signature, then sure, Mjolnir it is.

I'm also more interested in the Statement offerings, the hybrid offerrings more than the SS. But that's a year away.

I'm way curious to see how the Mjolnir or even the Statement SS compare against the Dark Star or even the Beta 22.

May 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #298 of 13,350
Greetings fellow Schiit-heads.  I am enjoying my Asgard with the AKG K550s i picked up to pair with the amp, but have a quick question about volume.  Has anyone made use of the RCA attenuators to reduce the input power and make it easier to use a bit more of what the amp has to offer at more than 9 o'clock on the volume knob.  I feed a line out signal from a PCDP and line out from my ipod and would truly harm my ears if I boosted the volume much past that mark.

Also, I sometimes need a bit more isolation than the K550s provide, and need a good IEM recommendation.  The AKGs sound great for bedtime listening, but have a bit more leakage than my wife would like.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

TC

May 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #299 of 13,350
Quote:
Greetings fellow Schiit-heads.  I am enjoying my Asgard with the AKG K550s i picked up to pair with the amp, but have a quick question about volume.  Has anyone made use of the RCA attenuators to reduce the input power and make it easier to use a bit more of what the amp has to offer at more than 9 o'clock on the volume knob.  I feed a line out signal from a PCDP and line out from my ipod and would truly harm my ears if I boosted the volume much past that mark.

Also, I sometimes need a bit more isolation than the K550s provide, and need a good IEM recommendation.  The AKGs sound great for bedtime listening, but have a bit more leakage than my wife would like.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

TC

9 o'clock?  You get to 9 o'clock?  You spoiled kids these days with your low voltage input sources....
tongue_smile.gif

On my Lyr I used to get to 9 o'clock but when I moved to a Squeezebox Touch and used fixed 100% (bit-perfect) volume, I'm lucky if I get the volume knob between 7-8 o'clock.  It's barely beyond the bottom.  The only way around that, for me, is to drop the digital volume on the SBT which of course introduces artifacts.  That's been a big debate for me since I think, now, that SBT operates at 24-bit, so for 16-bit audio I'd get to drop 12db of volume or so before digital gain has any effect on SQ. 

However, one thing I know for sure, is that SBT digital gain control in 24 bit space is going to be less damaging to the SQ than some cheap resistors attenuating the source output. Yuck.  As long as you can adequately control volume, it's probably best to leave the signal alone.  I did have to resort to digital gain on my O2 because the bottom of the volume pot has nasty channel imbalance issues.  But I've had no imbalance on the Lyr, and I'm sure the same can be said for Asgard.  Those Blue Velvet pots are nice...

As for IEMs.  There's a lot of options.  What price point sound signature, etc are you looking for?  IEMs range from $5 cheapies to multi-thousand dollar customs so it'll require some more specifics!

May 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #300 of 13,350
Greetings :) Just got my Schiit Asgard today in the mail and wow liking it so far! Big upgrade for me from the Millet Starving Student Hybrid I'm coming from. Glad to hear the warmness, and the amp seems to have opened up the bottom end on my Denon 5000s much more. Really liking it :) Now, next step upgrading to an ODAC from the D3 I have currently heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back