Schiit Owners Unite
May 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #12,781 of 13,350
I have also used the Valhalla 2 line out but prefer the Lyr 2 for more of a tube sound. I can switch it between multiple solid state amps as well as two speaker systems.

May 7, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #12,784 of 13,350
I have also used the Valhalla 2 line out but prefer the Lyr 2 for more of a tube sound. I can switch it between multiple solid state amps as well as two speaker systems.

I wasn't very clear, apologies. My home system is a sony AV receiver (str dn 1030) that I have a dac and turntable (and some video sources) run into, and I have the line out of that receiver connected to the input of the Valhalla 2.

May 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #12,785 of 13,350
I wasn't very clear, apologies. My home system is a sony AV receiver (str dn 1030) that I have a dac and turntable (and some video sources) run into, and I have the line out of that receiver connected to the input of the Valhalla 2.

I have a similar setup, but I used RCA splitters to output my Mani and Mimby to both an STR-DN1050 and to a SYS through to a Magni 2 Uber. It lets me listen to music over headphones while my wife watches TV, and I figure the less stuff in the signal path, the better. I played around with the Zone 2 outs on the receiver but it would do odd things, like not power off, if I had Zone 2 active.

The downside to my setup is that any other sources that feed into my receiver can't be output to the M2U, but that's not a big deal to me.

May 8, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #12,786 of 13,350
I use the zone 2, and I have all Audio on a switched power strip so I turn all the power off at night. Only issue with the Sony is it doesn't output the digital inputs to the zone 2 output, I expect for copyright/licencing reasons. But that's not an issue for me as I only use the Valhalla 2 for music. For movies and playstation I plug the headphones straight into the Sony receiver (watches the audience twitch).

May 31, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #12,789 of 13,350
Congrats man! I'm fulla Schiit too! :)
If they were ever to make a larger Fulla, I'd be all over it. Your "pot" is that nice large dial. Mine, while numerous on my Loki, Magni are teeny tiny. Meh, can't have everything. I respect the Schiit business model. It's nice and disruptive!

May 31, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #12,790 of 13,350
Anyone try HD800 with the Lyr3?

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #12,793 of 13,350
Modi 2 / Magni 2 as well as Ragnarok owner, anyone A/B the Magni 2 vs the 3?
Holy crap! Is it fair to compare the Ragnarok with the Magni set up? The ‘rock is just an amp, right? Would I be curious...?... sure! It’d be more meaningful to me if I somehow visited the Schittr to compare it myself.
Northern Los Angeles... nice to visit for a Torontonian.

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #12,794 of 13,350
The M/M is my work desktop setup, I was wondering if anyone had A/B'd the Magni 2 to the Magni 3. The rok is for recliner 'phones listening or speakers in the living room.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #12,795 of 13,350
I just spent this afternoon comparing My Ragnarok to my LYR 3.

The Ragnarok is extremely linear in response from top to bottom and I always notice an extra bit of extension at the very top and the very bottom of the frequency range with control combined with a fairly neutral soundstage and stable imaging presentation. I like balanced ins and outs and maybe someday there will be a balanced LYR (4?) HP amp using 6SN7 types. Or perhaps make that a Ragnatube.

The LYR3 is not all that dissimilar but doesn't have the very top and bottom of the Rag, and as far as I can tell, having spent several weeks with 11 different tubes, a lot of the other possible points of comparison will be dependent on the tube one chooses to use. The LYR 3 does have that whatever quality it is that makes tubes alluring.

It has always been a habit of mine to have both SS and tube gear on hand since the late 80's, and as I'm only headphones now, I the money I don't spend on power amps can go to owning multiple SS and Tube HP amps for the variety and fun of it.

I have no experience with any Schiit HP amps other than what's in my sig.

Almost forgot; at the price of the LYR 3 it's one hellava lot of great sound for the money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back