Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #12,541 of 13,350

This is very helpful info. Thanks again! And yes, I'd only use the monitors in a nearfield setting.

You really should look at the Swan M200MKIII:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/m200mkiii

$278.....and they sound incredible! If you don't like them, they can be returned and are so inexpensive it almost doesn't matter.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #12,542 of 13,350
  You really should look at the Swan M200MKIII:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/m200mkiii

$278.....and they sound incredible! If you don't like them, they can be returned and are so inexpensive it almost doesn't matter.

I already bought the JBL speakers I mentioned since they seem to be the most well-regarded ones in this price range.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #12,545 of 13,350
It's all subjective so lets remember bot to be too absolute on speakers > headphones.  As you can see from my PFP I am big into the speaker game, but the cos/performance ratio for headphones is typically more favorable in my experience.  I love the actual feel of the music speakers produce but I had to spend many times what the hd-650 costs to get the same level of resolution from a speaker system.  

Now back to some Schiit... Bifrost > Asgard > HD 650 was my first setup and will always keep a place in my heart.  I upgraded my Schiit but will never sell my HD-650 despite any other audio purchases.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #12,546 of 13,350
  It's all subjective so lets remember bot to be too absolute on speakers > headphones.  As you can see from my PFP I am big into the speaker game, but the cos/performance ratio for headphones is typically more favorable in my experience.  I love the actual feel of the music speakers produce but I had to spend many times what the hd-650 costs to get the same level of resolution from a speaker system.  

I can be as absolute as I want! I am only speaking for myself.

My $248 powered monitors in a nearfield setup sound better than my $400 HD 650 headphones. Period. I would much rather listen to a quality speaker setup than quality headphones. I don't care if the speakers cost more....this isn't a contest based on cost equivalency. Speakers have more potential for realism and are more engaging.

If I were stuck in an apartment I would have to settle on headphones.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #12,547 of 13,350
yikes! guess I hit a nerve

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #12,548 of 13,350
I am certainly not stuck in an apartment and I enjoy both speakers and headphones and feel that each have merit. I run powered Martin Logans from a Valhalla 2 and love the sound. The types of recordings I listen to (usually binaural plus)  work better with headphones but work with speakers as well. The headphones do offer a depth and direction that is hard to produce with speakers but the music is geared towards headphones. With groups of friends over, speakers are a good way to go. It's all good. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #12,549 of 13,350
I listen to mostly Red Book source material primarily from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. These are all stereophonic recordings along with a few monophonic recordings. Ideal for speakers and less ideal for headphones.

I enjoy my headphones too as they sound great. I don't mind using them when I need to be quiet. They just aren't my preference.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #12,551 of 13,350

I can be as absolute as I want! I am only speaking for myself.

My $248 powered monitors in a nearfield setup sound better than my $400 HD 650 headphones. Period. I would much rather listen to a quality speaker setup than quality headphones. I don't care if the speakers cost more....this isn't a contest based on cost equivalency. Speakers have more potential for realism and are more engaging.

If I were stuck in an apartment I would have to settle on headphones.

True to my case as well. The $400/pair HS7 beats the pants off my AKG K712 (Austria) in sound. Imaging, depth (it's much more holographic sounding) and soundstage alone in a nearfield setup is much better on the HS7 compared to the AKG K712. PRAT is also marginally better. Also no need for a subwoofer with the HS7 since they extend deep enough for music.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #12,552 of 13,350
Since this is a Schiit owners thread, any tube recommendations for a Valhalla 2?  I have tried a few Russian tubes and some are better than others but they did not seem to change the sound a lot compared to the original tubes.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #12,553 of 13,350
  Since this is a Schiit owners thread, any tube recommendations for a Valhalla 2?  I have tried a few Russian tubes and some are better than others but they did not seem to change the sound a lot compared to the original tubes.

Check the Lyr tube roller thread as the 6N1P input tubes are rollable.  Do not expect much change if rolling the driver tubes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/12540#post_13403584

There are some great tubes in the 6DJ8 line...

beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #12,554 of 13,350
Apr 6, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #12,555 of 13,350
Welp just ordered a Modi Multibit + Magni 2 Uber.

On a scale of Dollar Tree earphones to Orpheus 2, how happy will I be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back