Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #12,451 of 13,350
another thing ive read reports that are so adamant that when placing a modi mb next to gumby mb they would challenge anyone to notice the different in an a/b blind listening test. i could understand this from bimby mb to gumby mb but from modi mb to gumby??? rather than just dismissing this is there any real truth in it. i think they were using a jotenheim amp for the test. my budget of 1250 could buy a metrum musette r2r dac with a really good spdif convertor for the same price as a gumby. musette vs gumby seems to be marginal too. the final solution is not straightforward!! modi mb uses 1 r2r dac gumby uses 4 so hard to believe.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #12,452 of 13,350
musickid,

There are about a trillion combinations of stuff out there. You have been all over multiple forums asking these same questions for months. It's probably time for you to get decisive!

Is Mimby as good as Gumby? No way. Mimby is great but not that great. If you want a Musette get a Musette!

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #12,453 of 13,350
i ordered a mutec 1.2 dac bridge for an anticipated musette purchase then i returned it in favour of the real deal gumby mb. but yes the combos seem endless and this will be my last audio purchase for a long while so i just want the best outcome. cheers mk

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #12,454 of 13,350
  i ordered a mutec 1.2 dac bridge for an anticipated musette purchase then i returned it in favour of the real deal gumby mb. but yes the combos seem endless and this will be my last audio purchase for a long while so i just want the best outcome. cheers mk

What amp are you using with that?

I'm debating on what setup to buy for my desktop still.

I really don't know what to get for the AMP.

Since I have mostly low power stuff I really wonder if Magni 2 Uber is all I need.... Although some people said that Magni 2 doesn't do well with low power headphones....
So then I am looking at an O2, but the layout of the O2 is just horrible with the input and output both in the front even on the desktop versions (from both JDS & Mayflower)...

So then I am thinking about asgard 2, but then I read that its a very warm sounding amp and it has feedback on low gain?

I just want a amp to run low impedance stuff with, I doubt I'll ever buy any really heavy cans...
And I want an amp with a pass-through because later on I will connect some nice speakers to it.

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #12,455 of 13,350
if you want to be transported into a different world and category of otl tube amps check the earmaxpro. youll need high impedence headphones like beyer dt880 600's though. beyers sell for just 175£ so you can use the difference on the amp which sells for 699£ and then you will find yourself in real headfi audiophile world. those things you mention are just entry level and we all need to start to somewhere i suppose. good luck

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #12,456 of 13,350
  if you want to be transported into a different world and category of otl tube amps check the earmaxpro. youll need high impedence headphones like beyer dt880 600's though. beyers sell for just 175£ so you can use the difference on the amp which sells for 699£ and then you will find yourself in real headfi audiophile world. those things you mention are just entry level and we all need to start to somewhere i suppose. good luck

Nah I wouldn't go that far haha I just want a nice setup for my listening all day every day while I work basically.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #12,457 of 13,350
earmax pro is every transportable and small

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #12,458 of 13,350
Hey guys i have got a question:

Ive got the following Setup:

Rega Turntable into a PreAmp into the Lyr 2. Headphones are Sennheiser HD800.

I've got 2 questions:

1) The Lyr2 only has 1 input section. I would love to connect my DAP (Onkyo DP-X1a) to the Lyr 2, but i always have to disconnect the RCA cables coming from the PreAmp. Is there smarter way? Or would i Need to buy e.g. a Ragnarök therefore?

2) In case I get myself a Ragnarök: Would I be able to use the balanced function when connected to my Onkyo DP-X1a?

Thanks for your help guys!

Best regards,

Steve

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #12,459 of 13,350

I've got 2 questions:

1) The Lyr2 only has 1 input section. I would love to connect my DAP (Onkyo DP-X1a) to the Lyr 2, but i always have to disconnect the RCA cables coming from the PreAmp. Is there smarter way? Or would i Need to buy e.g. a Ragnarök therefore?

2) In case I get myself a Ragnarök: Would I be able to use the balanced function when connected to my Onkyo DP-X1a?

Best regards,

Steve

Rag will give you multiple inputs, including balanced (might be tricky to get balanced from a DAP - most likely to involve a DAP to 4-pin XLR, followed by a 4-pin to dual 3-pin XLR cabling).

I, however, would recommend you buy the Schiit SYS for $49, and continue to use your Lyr 2:

http://schiit.com/products/sys

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #12,460 of 13,350

I've got 2 questions:

Best regards,

Steve

I use these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MFRW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to add a second input on my Lyr...

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #12,461 of 13,350

I've got 2 questions:

Best regards,

Steve

I used to use this when I had need of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BMLXAU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #12,462 of 13,350
New happy owner of my first piece of Schiit here. I've had my Fulla 2 for a few days now and it has replaced the old X-Fi sound card (with crappy drivers and noise interference from my video card) that was in my desktop gaming computer. It sounds great with my HD598s and Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #12,463 of 13,350
  New happy owner of my first piece of Schiit here. I've had my Fulla 2 for a few days now and it has replaced the old X-Fi sound card (with crappy drivers and noise interference from my video card) that was in my desktop gaming computer. It sounds great with my HD598s and Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

Welcome to the Schiit club.

Enjoy your new toy...

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #12,464 of 13,350

​I was looking for a good solid state all-rounder for my desktop and settled on the Jotunheim (with the dac). It's sexy, the perfect size, and sounds great. So happy with it! And it doubles as a hand warmer when my fingers are freezing at my desk :p

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #12,465 of 13,350

​I was looking for a good solid state all-rounder for my desktop and settled on the Jotunheim (with the dac). It's sexy, the perfect size, and sounds great. So happy with it! And it doubles as a hand warmer when my fingers are freezing at my desk :p

Congrats on Jot!

I just picked up a used Stax SRM-1 Mk2 amp. Now THAT'S much more toasty than my Jot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back