Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 16, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #12,361 of 13,350
couple of points. im planning to go for gumby multibit start of april.

1) is gunjnir multibit fully and properly grounded so i don't have to worry about galvanic isolation on inputs? i'm sure it is but would like confirmation.

2) is gen 3 usb due very soon for gumby. wondering whether to hold back a little and wait// upgrade would be difficult for me or to get dealer to do it?

3) would a good usb cable direct from imac to gumby multibit be fine (so i can take advantage of asynchrous usb without tweaks?)

many thanks to all mk.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #12,363 of 13,350
Can somebody with direct experience with Schiit Bifrost regular (4490 - latest gen) and Bifrost Multibit indicate whether there is a difference between the two?

Planning to use with HD 800 coming in the mail tomorrow.

I have the regular Bifrost, but not sure if it is worth to pay $250 (plus shipping) to have Schiit upgrade it to Multibit.

I tried to read from their website, and it is all gibberish to me. I also emailed Schiit directly, and I received a really stupid answer, practically saying nothing.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #12,364 of 13,350
  Can somebody with direct experience with Schiit Bifrost regular (4490 - latest gen) and Bifrost Multibit indicate whether there is a difference between the two?

Planning to use with HD 800 coming in the mail tomorrow.

I have the regular Bifrost, but not sure if it is worth to pay $250 (plus shipping) to have Schiit upgrade it to Multibit.

I tried to read from their website, and it is all gibberish to me. I also emailed Schiit directly, and I received a really stupid answer, practically saying nothing.

I am sure the Schiit team said the same thing I will say, with perhaps more humor. :) No one can tell you if the is worth $250.00 for you. It is all based on personal taste. For me it was absolutely worth it. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #12,365 of 13,350
  I am sure the Schiit team said the same thing I will say, with perhaps more humor. :) No one can tell you if the is worth $250.00 for you. It is all based on personal taste. For me it was absolutely worth it. 

Worth it as in....? Could you be a bit more specific? What does it improve? Thanks!

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #12,366 of 13,350

Worth it as in....? Could you be a bit more specific? What does it improve? Thanks!

I am not one to really have the skills to put what I am hearing into words, but I will give it a shot. The Multibit has a cleaner and more honest presentation. I feel instruments sound more realistic than with the 4490. 

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #12,367 of 13,350
  I am not one to really have the skills to put what I am hearing into words, but I will give it a shot. The Multibit has a cleaner and more honest presentation. I feel instruments sound more realistic than with the 4490. 

Thanks! This helps.

I guess because a different brand / higher quality DAC is used on Multibit vs. 4490?

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #12,368 of 13,350
  Thanks! This helps.

I guess because a different brand / higher quality DAC is used on Multibit vs. 4490?

Yes.

But is not all about the chip regardless of brand of DAC.  It is more about chip and its implementation...

wink.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #12,369 of 13,350
  couple of points. im planning to go for gumby multibit start of april.

1) is gunjnir multibit fully and properly grounded so i don't have to worry about galvanic isolation on inputs? i'm sure it is but would like confirmation.

2) is gen 3 usb due very soon for gumby. wondering whether to hold back a little and wait// upgrade would be difficult for me or to get dealer to do it?

3) would a good usb cable direct from imac to gumby multibit be fine (so i can take advantage of asynchrous usb without tweaks?)

many thanks to all mk.

1) Yes, it is fully and properly grounded. USB is not "galvanically isolated" according to @Baldr . I believe it was because it's a term (with regards to USB) with no proper/formal universally-accepted definition, but I could be mis-remembering.

2) Gen 3 USB, as far as any of us know, is a Yggy-exclusive feature. If they were to offer it as an upgrade, it should be simple to do either on your own or with minimal hassle from your dealer (based off of other upgrades that have been offered in the past).

3) Fine? Yes. Some say the other inputs and/or various converters sound better, but that doesn't mean USB sounds bad.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #12,370 of 13,350
  Yes.

But is not all about the chip regardless of brand of DAC.  It is more about chip and its implementation...

wink.gif

Exactly, the implementation is crucial.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #12,372 of 13,350
So I take it with those sarcastic / funny comments there is really no difference between 4490 and Multibit?

wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #12,373 of 13,350
That, for me, is wrong, the MB DACs are better than the DS DACs.  I hear the Modi MB as better than the Modi 4490 and the Bifrost and Gungnir MBs are even more so.

Just the way I hear them :)  You could hear differently.

Not just the DAC chips are in play, there is the Baldr filter and the rest of the implementation.

JMTC & YMMV,
r2

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #12,374 of 13,350
  So I take it with those sarcastic / funny comments there is really no difference between 4490 and Multibit?

wink_face.gif

No I think there should be a difference, atleast from a scientific aspect.
Whether you can hear the difference.... well I don't have 2 units side by side to try to compare. But many have claimed that they can infact hear the difference.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #12,375 of 13,350
The problem is that RTTY's highs are plagued by a lack of sparkle that only USBs deliver. A further advantage of USB is that it lacks the tubby and flatulent bass which so affects LSB.

So which type of DAC do you recommend for RTTY, R2R or DS? I'm told that Baudot is getting a revised spec for hi-def audio transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back