Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 10, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #12,316 of 13,350
  I am currently using valhalla 2 with bimby and moded HD650, an wonderful combo. My experience is that if you leave the valhalla 2 on for a long time, say a couple of days or longer. There will be some slight static/interference. Otherwise, it's pretty slience.

Yeah, there was interference from my PC/wifi router but I moved the RCA cables and it cleared up completely.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #12,317 of 13,350
I don't know....I looked at the web site and re-read the FAQ. The FAQ makes it clear that the Modi 2 has a painted steel chassis. Did you read that? There is no way a painted steel chassis will look like an unpainted aluminum chassis.

This is on you. 

In regards to cables being included or not. Hardly anyone includes interconnect cable unless they are proprietary. Again, they are offered as accessories on the web site.

Again, this is on you too.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #12,318 of 13,350
just tested the valhalla 2 with my m-100s on low gain and no static or breakup....smooth as butter my dude. maybe try another cable?

Feb 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #12,320 of 13,350
  I don't know....I looked at the web site and re-read the FAQ. The FAQ makes it clear that the Modi 2 has a painted steel chassis. Did you read that? There is no way a painted steel chassis will look like an unpainted aluminum chassis.

This is on you. 

In regards to cables being included or not. Hardly anyone includes interconnect cable unless they are proprietary. Again, they are offered as accessories on the web site.

Again, this is on you too.

Nope, didn't read the FAQ... I didn't have a question. I simply couldn't tell that there was a difference, and that the finishes would be different between models (a decision that still doesn't make sense to me). I'm not saying that the products are bad, or that they're terrible for my confusion. I just wish it was a bit more clear that there is a difference. On me or not, I can still be disappointed in what I (didn't) receive. Don't get me wrong though, I would still recommend Schiit products, I would just let whomever know that they need to get the Modi 2 Uber if they care about it matching. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #12,322 of 13,350
Yeah, always read the FAQ, Can't really blame Schiit though, they probably didn;t expect people to care so much about a silver chassis.

Aesthetic concerns are absolutely valid. None of this stuff is essential for living, we buy it for the enjoyment of it and for a lot of people 'enjoyment' is the full package experience from look and feel to sound quality. I ended up emailing Schiit when looking at an upgrade to the Modi M from the 2U just to make sure it had the grained aluminum chassis for example.

Maybe people are on edge from that whole Stereophile fiasco or something but there's no need to pounce on somebody's concern that they didn't receive what they thought they purchased and are a bit dissapointed. It was hardly some kind of slam against the products or Schiit.

For what it's worth, when I bought my Magni/Modi 2U stack it wasn't at all clear from their website what was included or that the finishes were different. In my case that's what brought me to head-fi because I wanted to read about it a bit more before purchase. That shouldn't be a requirement though!

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #12,323 of 13,350
Maybe people are on edge from that whole Stereophile fiasco or something but there's no need to pounce on somebody's concern that they didn't receive what they thought they purchased and are a bit dissapointed. It was hardly some kind of slam against the products or Schiit.

Nobody pounced on him. People explained the reality of the situation to him.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #12,325 of 13,350
The fact that basic product information has to be actively searched for in related materials such as the FAQ and manual is feedback Schiit should hear. No need to be disingenuous.

I am not being disingenuous.

I don't know any manufacturer web site that says, "Hey, keep in mind that the paint color of product A doesn't exactly match the brushed aluminum color of product Z in our catalog".

Also, as I said before, hardly any manufacturer includes interconnect cables unless they are proprietary. I'll add that a lot audiophiles prefer to use their own favorite interconnects.

Who is pouncing on whom?

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #12,326 of 13,350
Huh. The covers of my Magni 2U and Modi 2U look and feel slightly different, even though they are both supposed to be aluminum, per the FAQs. The Modi feels smoother, as if it's painted. I was thinking it was just due to different raw material for each run.

I never noticed this while they were stacked, but it showed up for me when I put them side-by-side and more in my line of sight. And now that I've read this thread, I can't stop looking at them. Thanks a lot. :)

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #12,327 of 13,350
The Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber both have brush aluminum finishes and are not painted.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #12,328 of 13,350
  The Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber both have brush aluminum finishes and are not painted.

That is what the FAQ says. But mine do look and feel different. Also the Modi 2U is supposed to have an aluminum button to match the Magni 2U knob, but my Modi button feels and sounds plastic. And I'll get over it. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #12,329 of 13,350
When I bought my original Vali and Modi 2U, I knew they were different finishes.  I thought I'd be ok with it, but it actually drove my OCD-ness crazy.  Oh well, it hardly matters anymore becuase I was hooked and my current Yggy and Rag match perfectly, heh.

I think that a lot of Modi/Magni/Vali owners might be first-time purchasers of audiophile type gear.  As all of us old timers know, they never come with interconnects.  It's easy to say, "Duh." to someone just getting started, but keep in mind this is a whole new experience to a lot of folks out there.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #12,330 of 13,350
I, for one, don't give a schiit about the texture/color of these things (there, I said it!:wink:. The dang things look close enough. I can't believe we're even discussing this. Heh. Sure, it IS valuable information for schiit to have... and rest assured I'm sure they've read this. But come on guys... let's get back to the (imo) important stuff. How's this schiit sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back