Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 31, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #12,286 of 13,350
I've finally gotten around to upgrading my Bifrost Uber to Bifrost Multibit after owning it for 3 years. I can't exactly do an A/B test to tell the differences between the two, but it sounds pretty fabulous! As much as I'd like to upgrade from my Valhalla, I don't know if the 2 would be worth it. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #12,287 of 13,350
  I've finally gotten around to upgrading my Bifrost Uber to Bifrost Multibit after owning it for 3 years. I can't exactly do an A/B test to tell the differences between the two, but it sounds pretty fabulous! As much as I'd like to upgrade from my Valhalla, I don't know if the 2 would be worth it. 

Not if you are happy with your original Valhalla...

beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #12,288 of 13,350

Not if you are happy with your original Valhalla...

beerchug.gif

I keep on hearing about how amazing the Bottlehead Crack is. I wish I could try it out. I can't exactly make it. In fact, I haven't had access to this setup much because I've been traveling. Kinda scared to bring it along in my luggage. TSA might think it's a bomb...

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #12,289 of 13,350
I keep on hearing about how amazing the Bottlehead Crack is. I wish I could try it out. I can't exactly make it. In fact, I haven't had access to this setup much because I've been traveling. Kinda scared to bring it along in my luggage. TSA might think it's a bomb...

Had some Chinese 6n11 tubes from a cheapie chinese OTL. Went a long way to making my Valhalla2 come close to my crack speedball sound. Best tube I heard so far.... Better than the freakin russian EB tubes... Can't think of the numbers now 6n23 I think.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #12,290 of 13,350
By the way, I guess the upgrade to Bifrost Multibit ended up with Schiit packaging what's probably the Bifrost Uber board. Do people actually buy these things? I mean it's not 4490, so it's already outdated. Do I just toss this?

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #12,291 of 13,350
  By the way, I guess the upgrade to Bifrost Multibit ended up with Schiit packaging what's probably the Bifrost Uber board. Do people actually buy these things? I mean it's not 4490, so it's already outdated. Do I just toss this?

Probably only if someone owns the very first bifrost. Maybe trade it for a 12 pack of beer. :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #12,292 of 13,350
  Probably only if someone owns the very first bifrost. Maybe trade it for a 12 pack of beer. :)

Jeez, I don't even know any audiophiles in my city. I'm sure they exist, but what are the odds of finding someone with just a regular Bifrost? Haha. I really don't want to just throw it away, though. It did serve me well...

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #12,293 of 13,350
  Jeez, I don't even know any audiophiles in my city. I'm sure they exist, but what are the odds of finding someone with just a regular Bifrost? Haha. I really don't want to just throw it away, though. It did serve me well...

Put it on ebay. somebody will find a use for it. $5 is $5 you can spend somewhere else...

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #12,294 of 13,350

I have seen them sell for $40.00 plus on ebay.  Somebody might want it...

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #12,295 of 13,350
Hey, just curious if any schiit modi 1 or 2 owners can tell me something. I bought a modi 2 online but the board seems a bit weird. Its a green board that more closely resembles the modi 1 board with a couple differences.
Can anyone tell me weather this is a modi 1 or 2? Thanks.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #12,296 of 13,350
Hey, just curious if any schiit modi 1 or 2 owners can tell me something. I bought a modi 2 online but the board seems a bit weird. Its a green board that more closely resembles the modi 1 board with a couple differences.
Can anyone tell me weather this is a modi 1 or 2? Thanks.

Look at the board, it says modi v1.35, not modi 2. If it was modi 2 it would say modi 2 v1.xx. Looks like they scammed you. Bummer. :frowning2: Let us know who it was if they don't make it good so we can avoid them!

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #12,297 of 13,350
you gotta' love Schiit for having a trustworthy brand.

i'm seeking a new DAC for my desktop....to work with cans/iems
and some powered focal alpha 50 speakers (just getting these today...excited)

my current DACs: mojo, ifi micro idsd (selling) and dragonfly red

I am considering the upcoming and new chord hugo 2
...or the wadia 122 that my friend has (he swears by wadia, saying
Wadia was one of the pioneers into DAC development)
http://www.wadia.com/en-us/products/di122
or the Yggdrasil or Gungnir Multibit (suggested by Schiit).

ideally seeking a versatile DAC that pairs well with many different amps (tube or ss)
(i have a mapletree ear+ HD tube amp)
and different cans/iems, wont' get 'dated' anytime soon
....i'd rather pay a bit more than a bit less, esp for Schiit
as I just intuitively feel they're a good group to deal with.

thanks for any imput.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #12,298 of 13,350
  you gotta' love Schiit for having a trustworthy brand.

i'm seeking a new DAC for my desktop....
am considering the upcoming and new chord hugo 2
...or the wadia 122 that my friend has (he swears by wadia)
http://www.wadia.com/en-us/products/di122
or the Yggdrasil or Gungnir Multibit (suggested by Schiit).

ideally seeking a versatile DAC that pairs well with many different amps (tube or ss)
(i have a mapletree ear+ HD tube amp)
and different cans/iems, wont' get 'dated' anytime soon
....i'd rather pay a bit more than a bit less, esp for Schiit
as I just intuitively feel they're a good group to deal with.

thanks for any imput.

IMO, I don't think you will get outdated with the Hugo 2 as your DAC since Hugo 2 has 4 filters AFAIK to cater to the sound you like while Yggdrasil is just a flat neutral sound and Gungnir Multibit is slightly warmer than Yggdrasil. The issue with Hugo 2 is the battery needing to service every few years in the long run. As for pairing to amps, it is best to stick to the analog stage output of the Hugo 2 rather than use another amp since Chord DACs sounds best without using an amp in my experience with Chord Mojo that I currently use for my travel setup.

Never heard of the Wadia 122, but if you can loan an Yggdrasil and compare with your friend's wadia, that should decide if you want to go the Schiit route or something else.

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #12,299 of 13,350

IMO, I don't think you will get outdated with the Hugo 2 as your DAC since Hugo 2 has 4 filters AFAIK to cater to the sound you like while Yggdrasil is just a flat neutral sound and Gungnir Multibit is slightly warmer than Yggdrasil. The issue with Hugo 2 is the battery needing to service every few years in the long run. As for pairing to amps, it is best to stick to the analog stage output of the Hugo 2 rather than use another amp since Chord DACs sounds best without using an amp in my experience with Chord Mojo that I currently use for my travel setup.

Never heard of the Wadia 122, but if you can loan an Yggdrasil and compare with your friend's wadia, that should decide if you want to go the Schiit route or something else.

thanks...

hope you all enjoy this, by Ty of Innerfidelity, writing recently for Stereophile.

'Of headphones to come'
http://www.stereophile.com/content/headphones-come

pic below:
Some 100 engineers and scientists from around the globe assembled for the
Audio Engineering Society's 2016 International Conference on Headphone Technology, in Aalborg, Denmark.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/headphones-come#FcHgPfSK2YeCRBMz.99

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #12,300 of 13,350
Look at the board, it says modi v1.35, not modi 2. If it was modi 2 it would say modi 2 v1.xx. Looks like they scammed you. Bummer. :frowning2: Let us know who it was if they don't make it good so we can avoid them!

I contacted schiit and apperently there was at one time a batch of modi 2s made on green modi 1 boards due to a shortage of the proper board. The seller said he bought these straight from schiit and showed me a reciept and proof of purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back