Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 2, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #11,956 of 13,350

From PC to Modi2Uber: 6ft amazon basics USB A to B
From PC to Modi2Uber: 6ft Monster Toslink
From Modi2Uber to SYS: Schiit PYST 6" RCA ; StraightWire cable and connectors
From SYS to Vali 2: Custom 8" CablesForLess cable; red Belden cable, Neutrik plugs (paladin79)
From SYS to SMSL SA-50: Monster DJ RCA

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #11,957 of 13,350
Update on using the balanced outs of the Gungnir.

Well, to my surprise, the $150 Cardas XLR to RCA adapters did not sound near as good as the 7$ Kirlin ones gong from the the Balanced Gungnir Multibit to my Sony Xa7es rebook player using a pair of Jena Labs ic's. Granted, the Cardas did not fit well, that familiar "click" was not possible, so perhaps that was the problem.

Nevertheless, there is a def improve in ALL aspects to the music going this route instead of the rca to rca's!

I just noticed that the Gungnir is out of stock on the schitt website....I can understand why!

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #11,958 of 13,350
I could imagine not being able to tell the difference in two short adapters but it is surprising the Cardas sounded worse. Basically you are saying you are going balanced to unbalanced instead of unbalanced to unbalanced in the case of using just the rca's. I will have to try that out sometime, I have another brand DAC but I can run it into a Valhalla 2. I rarely use adapters so I will do short cables.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #11,959 of 13,350
I've finally decided to nab myself a Schiit Stack for my new setup for Japan.  Should work quite nicely with my Sennhesier HD650s... granted I did skip the Pyst cables since I couldn't really stomach 25+ dollars for 6 inches of cable.  The Monoprice set I picked up from Amazon feel fairly solid. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #11,960 of 13,350
Generally the higher costs on the Pyst cables are the connectors and the labor. Quality connectors like Canare can retail for $4-$5 each, lesser expensive ones can be $2-$3 each, multiply either by four and add American made cable and the Pyst cables are not so expensive. Compare them to 100% Chinese made product and yes there is a cost difference. Knowing the 650's and Schiit equipment you could have $1,000 in your other gear, down the road if you get a chance to try other cables you might hear a difference. If you cannot tell a difference then you made the right choice.
wink_face.gif
  I did some research and Monoprice sells a higher quality RCA connector for $4.22 each, those are probably more comparable to what the Pyst cable uses. Buy four of those, add labor and cable and anything in the $20 to $25 range is a little bit easier to comprehend.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #11,961 of 13,350
I was surprised as well when the Cardas adapters did not sound that good. It could be because they do not fit the Gungnir well. The Kirlin's fit perfectly.

Yes, I am going from the Gungnir balanced using the xlr to rca's Kirlin adapters, to the rca's of the Sony Xa7es. One thing I have not tried...using another pair of xlr to rca adapters from the Sony to the Woo WA5. However, that is adding another set of ic's and adapters. Might be worth the effort though.

Interesting to see if you hear a difference.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #11,962 of 13,350
The only adapters I have used much are 3.5 mm to quarter inch stereo and vice versa. I got away from those though, I finally just built enough cables and at enough lengths where I do not need adapters at all. I do not buy $150 adapters or connectors and if someone can hear and audible difference between gold plating or nickel plating, more power to you. I am generally more concerned with quality of construction and strain relief. I like cable such as Belden because a lot of it is American made and their quality control system is very impressive. I have purchased speaker wire from China where they twisted the wires together in the middle of a 500 foot spool and covered them with clear tape. I have found similar things in other off shore products. I have enough going on in my music system without ever having to worry about the quality of my interconnect cables, mine are rock solid and I soldered them myself. To me the Pyst cables take a similar approach, quality connectors and American cable. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #11,963 of 13,350
The Pyst cables are actually manufactured by a company called Straight Wire.  They build a variety of quality cable lines at various price points...

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #11,964 of 13,350
  The Pyst cables are actually manufactured by a company called Straightwire.  They build a variety of quality cable lines at various price points...

Thanks, I had not seen one personally, only the photos. I could of course read what was on the cable and see the connectors. The connectors probably say Staightwire on them but I could not make it out in the photo on the Schiit site.

I spend much of each day dealing with custom applications and cable and have done so for over ten years so I am probably a fairly good judge of such things. Headphone cables and RCA interconnects are pretty simple compared to some of the things I get into. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #11,965 of 13,350
Straightwire is actually a pretty cool company. Back in the "audio heyday" they were as well known as audioquest, at least. They kinda fell off the map for a while, but have made a comeback. They have a kind of no nonsense, affordable attitude to cabling. If you email or call them they're super responsive and will gladly make and sell you just about anything you could want (even headphone cables!) direct online. 

http://www.straightwire.com/

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #11,966 of 13,350
  Straightwire is actually a pretty cool company. Back in the "audio heyday" they were as well known as audioquest, at least. They kinda fell off the map for a while, but have made a comeback. They have a kind of no nonsense, affordable attitude to cabling. If you email or call them they're super responsive and will gladly make and sell you just about anything you could want (even headphone cables!) direct online. 

I do remember Audioquest. Some of their cables can get pricey, you can find quite a few on Ebay. They have some speaker wires they make up in the $2-$3,000 range but as one person said, they do cover various price points. I am at an age where I cannot hear high frequencies very well so some of their quality would be lost on me. I often rely on test instruments anymore when I use high end products and the response of younger listeners. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #11,967 of 13,350

I've heard nothing but good things about those guys.  A friend in the industry regularly teams with them.  They make very high quality stuff and no snake oil.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #11,968 of 13,350
To last as long as they have, it would certainly make sense that people believe in their products and I was explaining earlier that Schiit is not charging an arm and a leg for the interconnects they sell made by Straightwire. Mr. Speakers impresses me the same way with their dum cable line. High Purity OFC. I have the ability to test and own most any type of cable out there but I am more likely to upgrade equipment before cables.

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #11,970 of 13,350
How do you know that Schiit's Pyst cables are made by Straightwire? They don't seem to be advertising this anywhere...

It's on the cables themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back