Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #11,926 of 13,350
I'm just using Spotify Premium in normal Direct Sound mode (make sure you have a matching 44.1KHz sampling set in the Windows Sound Settings). When I wanna go "Full Hi-Fi", I just play FLACs in Foobar2000 through "WASAPI Event" output. You don't really have to use ASIO nowadays.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #11,927 of 13,350
So are you just using the Schiit ASIO driver off their site and running ASIO via that in the Fidelify client?  I installed Fidelify today and I am still using JRiver until I get my Bifrost later this week, but I can definitely tell a difference between regular Spotify and Fidelify with ASIO.  I'm running a 30 day trial of Tidal premium and I'm already subbed to Spotify, so I have a decision to make before the end of the month on which service to go with.  Fidelify has narrowed it more now, I'm really not hearing much of a difference between Tidal FLAC and Spotify 320, both using ASIO through JRiver.  To say Tidal is worth $10 more a month, ehhhh not really sure -- the Spotify UI is way better than Tidal for finding new music too.

Schiit ASIO only. Jriver causes BSOD on my surface pro 3. I do like Fidelify's sound better than Tidal and Spotify.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #11,928 of 13,350
Schiit ASIO only. Jriver causes BSOD on my surface pro 3. I do like Fidelify's sound better than Tidal and Spotify.

Gotcha.  Well, my Bifrost will be in later this week and I have about 3 weeks to make a decision so I'll be doing a lot of comparisons I guess.  I'd be happy if I ended up saving myself the extra $10 a month for the Tidal Hifi service.  I've been active in the Spotify forum community towards getting native ASIO support and a FLAC streaming sub like Tidal for a couple of years now, and even though a ton of people have replied and upvoted the idea, Spotify still hasn't done a GD thing to make either happen.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #11,929 of 13,350
So I just got a Bifrost Multibit and I can't seem to get it playing. Could anyone please troubleshoot it with me for a second? It's making a clicking noise but my computer isn't recognizing it. Using a macbook btw. Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #11,932 of 13,350
I did finally get it working. Had a minor freakout. Would have been bummed if it wasn't working. Had to use a different USB cable and kept messing with the audio settings until something worked.

I am glad your mighty Yggdrasil started to work for you sir. My first Yggdrasil was dead on arrival and had to be returned. Those fantastic people at Schiit Audio made everything right and had a replacement unit sent to me within 24 hours. And the Yggdrasil, they sent me has been working like a champ. :)

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #11,933 of 13,350
I got my Bifrost today....replaced the Creative card (still have it installed but bypassing the DAC and going over Toslink).

I gotta say, I'm ******* impressed.  I thought I was just going to get a little better sound than the X-Fi Titanium, but over Toslink it's night and day.  Worth every penny, 10/10 would buy again.  My headphones (Denon AH-D600) even though they are not hard to drive at all -- literally came ALIVE once I hooked the Bifrost into my Asgard 2.

By the way, this is over Fidelify -- using Windows DirectSound.  ASIO/WASAPI truly NOT needed with this setup now.

That being said, is there a Schiit ASIO driver that works with Windows 10?  When I try the one on the drivers page it says unsupported OS.

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #11,934 of 13,350
  I got my Bifrost today....replaced the Creative card (still have it installed but bypassing the DAC and going over Toslink).

Congrats and enjoy!

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #11,935 of 13,350

I gotta say, I'm ******* impressed.  I thought I was just going to get a little better sound than the X-Fi Titanium, but over Toslink it's night and day.  Worth every penny, 10/10 would buy again.  My headphones (Denon AH-D600) even though they are not hard to drive at all -- literally came ALIVE once I hooked the Bifrost into my Asgard 2.

By the way, this is over Fidelify -- using Windows DirectSound.  ASIO/WASAPI truly NOT needed with this setup now.

That being said, is there a Schiit ASIO driver that works with Windows 10?  When I try the one on the drivers page it says unsupported OS.

grats man, happy you made it !!! Im extremely happy with my yggy too!!!

Jun 29, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #11,936 of 13,350

grats too. I don't how Fidelify does it's magic, but of all streaming player that I've used, only Fidelify comes very close to Foobar with lossless files. Tidal's program just sounds artificially boosted to my Bifrost (too glary and digital sounding) while Spotify app sounds lackluster (need the oomph and natural timbre of the Fidelify).

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #11,937 of 13,350

grats too. I don't how Fidelify does it's magic, but of all streaming player that I've used, only Fidelify comes very close to Foobar with lossless files. Tidal's program just sounds artificially boosted to my Bifrost (too glary and digital sounding) while Spotify app sounds lackluster (need the oomph and natural timbre of the Fidelify).

Did you try Tidal HIFI ? its another 10 bucks per month, but its lossless flac files being served! spotify and normal tidal is similar to mp3 compression and there is instrument separation and some frequencies being lost in the compression.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #11,938 of 13,350

grats man, happy you made it !!! Im extremely happy with my yggy too!!!

I do have one complain about the yggy: it sounds so good I'm having trouble listening to anything else, esp when I'm on the go or at the office. All other gear sounds like a compromise.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #11,939 of 13,350
 Did you try Tidal HIFI ? its another 10 bucks per month, but its lossless flac files being served! spotify and normal tidal is similar to mp3 compression and there is instrument separation and some frequencies being lost in the compression.

Just to clarify. It is Tidal HiFi. I don't perceive any frequency loss in Fidelify and Tidal HiFi on the Bifrost and Asgard 2. In fact, Fidelify provides a wider soundstage than Tidal HiFi while sounding balanced yet extended, but what I seriously don't like about Tidal HiFi and 320 Kbps Tidal is the boosted mids and highs that sounds "edgy" and unnatural with my AKG K712 headphones.

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #11,940 of 13,350
After stepping up to the Valhalla 2 and Bifrost 4490, I'm stepping back down to my Vali 2 and Modi 2.  Going to invest in a speaker system instead.

If anyone is looking to acquire a black Bifrost, I've got one for sale in the classifieds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back