Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #11,911 of 13,350
 Well it just might be that Bitfrost Multibit doesnt support Tidal Hifi ? Im not exactly sure how you run your setup though. But I can hear very clear differenfe between spotify and tidal hifi from a PC to yggdrasil dac. Being tidal hifi the best option Though HDtracks albums are the best with foobar player.

There is a clear difference, but Tidal HiFi (both exclusive and directsound) sounds very digital (it's like there's a 7K to 12K treble boost that sounds bright and metallic thin) while Spotify ASIO (via Fidelify)'s treble is thick/shimmery and natural. Heck I can even contest that on my setup, Youtube directsound sounds better than Tidal HiFi.

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #11,912 of 13,350
There are times when you should agree to disagree. I hope to check out both sites soon, I know my son uses Spotify but I will look into Tidal as well. Is there such a thing as checking out hi res music from each site before you make a choice? I have a portable dac/amp but I would love to have the ability to route hd music through an iphone. So far I only have some hd radio stations that are only available randomly. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #11,913 of 13,350
  There are times when you should agree to disagree. I hope to check out both sites soon, I know my son uses Spotify but I will look into Tidal as well. Is there such a thing as checking out hi res music from each site before you make a choice? I have a portable dac/amp but I would love to have the ability to route hd music through an iphone. So far I only have some hd radio stations that are only available randomly. 

Not sure if you can review Tidal hifi, but basically it opens up CD quality on the subscription. Its FLAC files and the reproduction is CD quality uncompressed.

Spotify uses a compress mechanism similar to MP3, and you can clearly hear the compression with mid-range gear. I can hear the issues with compression with my Sennheiser Momentum 2 and a  pocket dac.

If you have apple device such as ipad or iphone, Tidal can stream to a unit that supports this.

Soon tidal will release 24 bit recordings with HIFI subscription, also Chromecast Audio is being released this summer.

Again, this doesnt realle belong to schiit thread, just a comment on your post.

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #11,914 of 13,350
Tidal has their own demo tracks, but I think you can only play them on a web browser. I don't use Spotify program on my desktop (Fidelify rather) but spotify is perfect for me for portable listening. If there's Amarra (Tidal client) for Windows ASIO I would really like to test it against Fidelify and see which sounds better to me.

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #11,915 of 13,350
I agree this probably does not belong in a Schiit post. In an effort to turn it back that way, I am currently testing several types of headphone cables on my Valhalla 2. I just downloaded some 24/192k Cream. Spoonful is a great test IMHO. Jack Bruce on bass, Ginger Baker drums, and of course Clapton. The Valhalla does a great job but swapping cables is not easy.

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #11,916 of 13,350
Tidal has their own demo tracks, but I think you can only play them on a web browser. I don't use Spotify program on my desktop (Fidelify rather) but spotify is perfect for me for portable listening. If there's Amarra (Tidal client) for Windows ASIO I would really like to test it against Fidelify and see which sounds better to me.

I do most of my serious testing on my home unit anyway so a web browser is fine. I will check out ASIO and Fidelity as well. Right now I am just going through a Pono program, into my Dac then onto a Valhalla 2.

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #11,917 of 13,350
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a schiit stack/smear whatever you want to call it. Magni 2 uber and Modi 2 uber. 

My biggest hesitation is with having to plug in and power two more devices by my computer. 
I am not a fan of having cords all over.

Would you guys recommend a different amp/dac or just bite the bullet and get over it? 

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #11,919 of 13,350
  Thinking about pulling the trigger on a schiit stack/smear whatever you want to call it. Magni 2 uber and Modi 2 uber. 

My biggest hesitation is with having to plug in and power two more devices by my computer. 
I am not a fan of having cords all over.

Would you guys recommend a different amp/dac or just bite the bullet and get over it? 

Chord makes some very good equipment and a combination Dac/amp will save you some space.  I just try to keep RCA interconnects as short as possible but then I can stop and build quality RCA cables as my needs change. The two pieces of Schiit equipment will certainly stack and are offered at such a price that you could buy a good quality portable amp and still have the Magni and Modi in place.

Personally I like options. I run a solid state Dac/amp line out into a Valhalla 2. I can then plug headphones into the solid state amp without shutting off my monitor speakers that are fed by the Valhalla. I can hook up two sets of headphones of varying impedance and quickly swap them between amps to compare them as well as comparing the sound coming out of the speakers. I can run five devices (such as turntable and phono preamp) into the Valhalla 2. If I want simplicity I can run a portable dac/amp off of my laptop and be nowhere near my main computer. With a Pono player I can have just player and headphones which is even simpler. The heart of my home system though is the Valhalla 2, the pre amp out to powered speakers (200 watts) lets others listen to music throughout my house and the Magni 2 would do that for you as well if you so desire. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #11,920 of 13,350
Lyr2 for pure tube liveliness for someone with Tinnitus?

I have been a supporter of Schiit for a while having paid for two upgrades in my BiFrostt, which is now a Bimby... Along with a Vali and a Wyrd. They give good value for the money, and I like supporting an American company.

I have solid-state gear; LH labs Geek Pulse Sfi, and portables; Chord Mojo, Audioquest Dragonfly Red, Zuperdac, I-dsp, ODAC, PA2V2, and iBasso P4 Warbler which is very powerful and fun for opamp rolling.

But, I am now forced to restrict the volume of sound having given myself tinnitus in the right ear with the Mojo ("just one more color change...") and a defective Beyerdynamic DT 990 which I had done not research to discover how notoriously sibilant they are. The Massdrop version had a whole in the fabric filter in the right cup....But I digress.

Can one "get" the Tube Love Liveliness (as I call it) at low to moderate volumes? Or would I be wasting money going this route?

I am realizing that, beyond the the joy of diversifying my sounds, I may have spent much on intermediate products rather than going "all in" and calling it a day....at least for a couple of years.

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #11,921 of 13,350
Can one "get" the Tube Love Liveliness (as I call it) at low to moderate volumes? Or would I be wasting money going this route?

I know some of the Schiit tube amps are advertised as sounding like solid state, I can hear some coloration but IMHO it does not vary a lot with volume level. Can you get together with someone in your area that can let you hear the sound? At least you would have the ability to roll tubes and strive for the sound you do prefer. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #11,922 of 13,350
Now the happy owner of the Mani and the mb Gungnir!

I was running my Music Hall mmf 7 turntable through the Stax SRA 12-s phono, into the Woo WA5 ( very first (2008) WA5 on the market, now using fist run Elrog 300b's this last year w/no failures). The Stax broke, so no lp's for over 2 years. The Mani arrived last week, hooked it up to the WA5, and was I happy. The overall sound was remarkable, soundstage, clarity, smooth, lifelike sound...and for $129?...amazing.

I was so taken with the quality of sound, I decided to give the Gungnir MB a try, helped by all the stellar reviews and posts here and on the web. I have never heard a modern dac in my system before. For prob close to 20 years, the dac's I have been using were the EAD 7000 mk iii, and an Aragon (factory prototype) D2A. It was time.

OMG, what I have been missing with my CD's! Detail I have never heard before, a realism that is so close to live, it's uncanny. Bass, mids, and treble all beautifully rendered. Soundstage width and depth seemed limitless through the speakers depending on the recording This is through the rca's...I wonder what balanced will sound like?!

Am running the Gungnir into a Sony Xa7es using the digital 75 coax, then to the WA5 with my AKG K1000. You all know the k1000 sound, airy, lifelike etc so non-fatiguing, it's addictive if you like that kind of presentation. With the WA5, out of this world.

The 2 way speakers I have are incredible!...they are way out of this world. Am a pro- classical musician, been all around the world doing my thing, so I know good sound...these speakers have it . Handmade in LA, unusual design, they should cost much more than they do.... Wavetouch Grand Teton SE's. Bought them last year, and have never looked back! The Schiit's through these speakers are simply out of this world. The speakers literally disappear.

I have not even tried my rebuilt Threshold S200 amp yet, I'm so taken with the way the WA5 sounds with the Schiit's. :wink: Am also very happy withe this passive pre into the Threshold, called "Lightspeed" made in Australlia...amazing sound from a pre-amp...can't wait to try those with the Schiit's!

What do they say, "audio nirvana" well I am knee deep in it and in Schiit! :wink:

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #11,923 of 13,350
Now the happy owner of the Mani and the mb Gungnir!

I was running my Music Hall mmf 7 turntable through the Stax SRA 12-s phono, into the Woo WA5 ( very first (2008) WA5 on the market, now using fist run Elrog 300b's this last year w/no failures). The Stax broke, so no lp's for over 2 years. The Mani arrived last week, hooked it up to the WA5, and was I happy. The overall sound was remarkable, soundstage, clarity, smooth, lifelike sound...and for $129?...amazing.

I was so taken with the quality of sound, I decided to give the Gungnir MB a try, helped by all the stellar reviews and posts here and on the web. I have never heard a modern dac in my system before. For prob close to 20 years, the dac's I have been using were the EAD 7000 mk iii, and an Aragon (factory prototype) D2A. It was time.

OMG, what I have been missing with my CD's! Detail I have never heard before, a realism that is so close to live, it's uncanny. Bass, mids, and treble all beautifully rendered. Soundstage width and depth seemed limitless through the speakers depending on the recording This is through the rca's...I wonder what balanced will sound like?!

Am running the Gungnir into a Sony Xa7es using the digital 75 coax, then to the WA5 with my AKG K1000. You all know the k1000 sound, airy, lifelike etc so non-fatiguing, it's addictive if you like that kind of presentation. With the WA5, out of this world.

The 2 way speakers I have are incredible!...they are way out of this world. Am a pro- classical musician, been all around the world doing my thing, so I know good sound...these speakers have it . Handmade in LA, unusual design, they should cost much more than they do.... Wavetouch Grand Teton SE's. Bought them last year, and have never looked back! The Schiit's through these speakers are simply out of this world. The speakers literally disappear.

I have not even tried my rebuilt Threshold S200 amp yet, I'm so taken with the way the WA5 sounds with the Schiit's.
wink.gif
Am also very happy withe this passive pre into the Threshold, called "Lightspeed" made in Australlia...amazing sound from a pre-amp...can't wait to try those with the Schiit's!

What do they say, "audio nirvana" well I am knee deep in it and in Schiit!
wink.gif

I'm loving my new Stax earspeakers in my system! Another benefit to the Schiit system of separate components is that, because the Stax amp has passthroughs, I just inserted it in the chain between my Modi and Magni. No muss, no fuss.

Tidal HiFi -> (Monoprice USB 2.0 2m) Wyrd -> (PYST USB 1m) Modi 2U -> (PYST RCA) Stax SRM-252S -> (PYST RCA) Magni 2U

#STAXBRO

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #11,924 of 13,350
PC350SE, SHP9500, K7XX, X2, HD600, T50RPmk3,  TH-X00 PH (August)
STAX SRS-2170
Schiit Magni 2U / Modi 2U, Wyrd USB conditioner (PC) OPPO HA-2 (Mobile)
Tidal HiFi

Favorite quote:  "OH MY GOD!!!!!! These headphones are so clear, I can *almost* comprehend Bob Dylan :p" -me

This is off subject but I have the OPPO HA=2 myself and love it. Also your Dylan quote. The last time I saw him in concert, there was a noticeable pause when he started a song. People were trying to figure out what he was singing. 

One thing I will mention on my Valhalla 2. I was getting considerable hum while my turntable was hooked to a tube type phono pre amp and then on to my Valhalla 2. I did the usual turntable grounding and that helped some but I finally decided to try using what are considered balanced rca cables between the pre amp and Valhalla 2. This fixed the issue, now I only have a slight bit of noise at very high volume on the Valhalla. The RCA cables consist of the usual two wires for positive and ground and then a braid shield is connected to the ground on one end. I have read differing opinions on whether the grounded shield side should be on the source side or the destination side but there was an audible difference when I connected that shield to the amp side. Down the road I will get a higher quality pre amp but I wanted the experience of assembling and modifying a Little Bear version 2.2 (I do not recommend buying one unless you are ready to troubleshoot it) I will get a Mani one day soon.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #11,925 of 13,350

Tr

Through Fidelify. Somehow, the sound Fidelify ASIO makes is much more natural sounding than the strident (hyped unnatural sounding treble to my ears) Tidal HiFi exclusive mode. Spotify program/app is akin to Tidal HiFi or 320 kbps. In addition, Foobar ASIO 320 kbps mp3 also sounds very natural (lacking mid-treble harshness and digititis) just like Fidelify. Also Fidelify comes very close to Foobar ASIO CD redbook sound.

FYI, I make playlist through the spotify app (or Web app) then refresh Fidelify to update it.

So are you just using the Schiit ASIO driver off their site and running ASIO via that in the Fidelify client?  I installed Fidelify today and I am still using JRiver until I get my Bifrost later this week, but I can definitely tell a difference between regular Spotify and Fidelify with ASIO.  I'm running a 30 day trial of Tidal premium and I'm already subbed to Spotify, so I have a decision to make before the end of the month on which service to go with.  Fidelify has narrowed it more now, I'm really not hearing much of a difference between Tidal FLAC and Spotify 320, both using ASIO through JRiver.  To say Tidal is worth $10 more a month, ehhhh not really sure -- the Spotify UI is way better than Tidal for finding new music too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back