Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 23, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #11,569 of 13,350
Correct. It has to search for it. Each three input LED indicators light up alternately until it "finds" the usb input. Then there is a click and then a double click when you begin playing music

Have you just switched it on?
If so this is normal and it's the DAC "booting up".
Advice here is to leave it powered up 24/7.
Will improve sound too.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #11,572 of 13,350
Now that I've resolved my issues I'll give a brief introduction.
I started my trip to the poor house with the Hifi M8 and the Shure 5140 and then the 1840 a while back and was quite happy. However I'm a live music fanatic and attend a wide variety of shows from ultra small clubs to arenas. Jazz, rock, accoustic to classical and my equipment was not up to the task of putting me at the show. So the new search began.

I ended up with the BF multi plus Lyr 2 with HE 560's and Ether C. Then a set if amperex 7308 vintage gold pin tubes. Funny to me that is a relatively modest setup in this world.

Now i can enjoy "being there" at home especially with the 560's. The visceral experience is just incredible. I feel everything as well as hear it.

Many thanks to the people on the forums for thier reviews and info. Without you guys I wouldn't have known where to begin.

Regards

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #11,574 of 13,350
One more question. Any suggestions as to a dock for an iPod Classic?

I didn't read your previous post, but yes - Pure i-20.

It acts as a DAC with RCA outputs, and as a pass-thru for Toslink and COAX digital output to your own DAC. It's what I'm planning to use from now on at the local meets.

And I've read your previous post now 
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #11,576 of 13,350
Having upgraded to the Bifrost multibit I can say it adds detail (but not harshness) so that I hear more, and "see" more, such that I no longer have the same impulse to turn up the volume to get a little more.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #11,577 of 13,350
The Uber demands that I listen.  Sometimes it's annoying.

Feb 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #11,580 of 13,350
Hopefully someone likes a good brain teaser.

Bought a Mac Pro (Darth Vader garbage can model) running Mavericks and happily used my Modi/Vali setup with if for the last couple of years, no issues. Thought I would make the leap and upgrade to El Capitan. After the upgrade my computer would not recognize the DAC at all (LED light on the Modi would come on) otherwise would not show up in the system anywhere as being connected. Thinking it was the OS, I wiped the HD and reinstalled Mavericks so I was back to where I started. However the Modi still won't show up. I've tried a variety of different USB cables, port, hubs, etc... nothing.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back