Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 21, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #11,551 of 13,350
  Are you planning to use the balanced or the single-ended outputs from the Oppo?

I ask because I personally think the single-ended outputs are terrible. It is for this reason that I started to pursue DACs, after purchasing the Oppo to do-it-all exactly as your friend suggests. Now that I'm using the balanced outputs, the Oppo is not that bad.

Ultimately, the dedicated Schiit DACs will still be better.

thanks guys....

sheldaze: i have no idea if i'll used balanced or unbalanced outputs: i've read only good things about balanced outputs, however...but am unsure if it's a more complicated setup? i'm pretty naive about balanced vs unbalanced, i'm afraid.

and if I were to sell the mapletree headphone tube amp and would go for a more updated amp
which of the schiit amps would you suggest that is great bang for the buck and very musical? (anyone have one or has heard it?
it's from 2002 but in fab condition)
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Amplifier-Tube/Mapletree-Audio-Design/Ear/tubes/93064.html

note: i'm no audiophile, no critic: but i do love clear distinct sound, good separation, realism etc.
(of course we all know the recordings quality are 1st in line)

edited from original post: my buddy also suggested the oppo 105 D as i will be buying a blue ray, and also do alot of streaming.
so he thought all in one is good way to go...and the 105D has a decent DAC.

but i'm open to standalones, too.

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #11,552 of 13,350

thanks guys....

sheldaze: i have no idea if i'll used balanced or unbalanced outputs: i've read only good things about balanced outputs, however...but am unsure if it's a more complicated setup? i'm pretty naive about balanced vs unbalanced, i'm afraid.

and if I were to sell the mapletree headphone tube amp and would go for a more updated amp
which of the schiit amps would you suggest that is great bang for the buck and very musical? (anyone have one or has heard it?
it's from 2002 but in fab condition)
http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Amplifier-Tube/Mapletree-Audio-Design/Ear/tubes/93064.html

note: i'm no audiophile, no critic: but i do love clear distinct sound, good separation, realism etc.
(of course we all know the recordings quality are 1st in line)

edited from original post: my buddy also suggested the oppo 105 D as i will be buying a blue ray, and also do alot of streaming.

but i'm open to standalones, too.

I have a friend who bought the Oppo BDP-103 - it serves the purpose of allowing him to play SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray. But it works well with the single-ended output (it only has single-ended outputs). And it would make for a wonderful transport for a later DAC purchase.

Which DAC? It's really best, if you have the opportunity, to hear them yourself. At a mini-meet this past weekend, a friend was comparing Gungnir and Yggdrasil. He came away wanting a Yggdrasil, but he also could completely understand the goodness/benefit of the Gungnir. In fact, the person who brought the Yggy left thinking (little devil on his shoulder) should he still sell his Gungnir and keep only the Yggy.

Sorry - can't help you pick what would be best for your ears. Hope you can get a chance to listen!

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #11,553 of 13,350

Not sure that they are comparable but..

I had a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 (review) which has highly regarded DACs and many positive reviews as a music player.  But I liked the original Bifrost better.  The music had extra clarity through the Bifrost.  For music I ended up running the SPDIF out from the DMP to the Bifrost.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #11,554 of 13,350
I purchased a bifrost multibit several weeks ago and for a while all was well. I'm using an iPhone 6s as source. In the last 2 days I am getting the msg " this accessory is not supported by this iPhone". However if I power down and unplug the dac and give it a minute or two it will connect. Most times. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #11,555 of 13,350
I purchased a bifrost multibit several weeks ago and for a while all was well. I'm using an iPhone 6s as source. In the last 2 days I am getting the msg " this accessory is not supported by this iPhone". However if I power down and unplug the dac and give it a minute or two it will connect. Most times. Any suggestions would be appreciated

That sure sounds like an issue with your phone. IOS 9 has worked solidly on my iPad air feeding the Bifrost Multibit.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #11,562 of 13,350
I'm going to try the adapter. PC to dac works fine. Also another question. The eeason I thought there might be a dac issue is because it takes 10-20 seconds for the dac to recognize the usb connection. Is that normal? It has done that since day one.
Thanks for your input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back