Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 3, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #11,011 of 13,350
Just received my first desktop amp, the Asgard 2. My first impressions are that it sounds great with Dragonfly v1.2 & T90. It is a clear leap forward from using the df as DAC/amp. 
beyersmile.png

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #11,012 of 13,350
Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but here goes anyway!

I currently have a Schiit Magni 2 plugged into my computer's sound card (ASUS Essence STX II) with Creative GigaWorks T40 II 2.0 speakers and a couple of sets of headphones (Senn HDR180, HD598).
It all works pretty well but I'm considering splashing out and treating myself with a Schiit Ragnarok & Yggdrasil as a birthday or Xmas (depending on cash!) present for myself, hopefully with a view to getting some better headphones later on down the line too!

The issue is space and heat. My PC room is already a sauna at the best of times and I know Schiit's amps pump out a fair amount to heat.
The other issue is space - I don't have a great deal near my PC and honestly the only way I can see me fitting the Rag & Yggy in is to use them as a base for my monitor stand.

My question is, do you think it'd be safe to put the monitor on top of the amp & DAC in terms of:

1. Heat buildup in the amp/DAC
2. Heat FROM those deviced melting my monitor stand or damaging the electronics of the monitor through rising heat, and
3. Electromagnetic interference of nearby electronics

And to a lesser extent,
4. Do you personally find that the Yggy and/or Rag output a lot of heat? Is it "unpleasent" to be near? Bear in mind I'm sitting at the desk, with about 55cm/22" from where the front of the Amp&DAC would be to my face!

Here's a photo of my desk as it stands now:

You can see the little Magni 2 on the left under my monitor. Looking at the dimensions, the Rag and Yggy would probably reach nearly all the way from one speaker to the other - yeesh!

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #11,013 of 13,350
Ragnarok generates a fair amount of heat, Yggy not so much. My Yggy has been on for months and stays around 98F. Ragnarok gets turned on and off and reaches 135F after an hr depending on ambient temp. It won't melt plastic; but it does feel hot to the touch.

I'd have 2 concerns. Ragnarok stacked on top of Yggy is going to be 8" tall, do you want your monitor that high? Also, Ragnarok venting is fairly large and is locate to the right/center of the top. You really don't want to block any venting on the Ragnarok.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #11,014 of 13,350
  Ragnarok generates a fair amount of heat, Yggy not so much. My Yggy has been on for months and stays around 98F. Ragnarok gets turned on and off and reaches 135F after an hr depending on ambient temp. It won't melt plastic; but it does feel hot to the touch.

I'd have 2 concerns. Ragnarok stacked on top of Yggy is going to be 8" tall, do you want your monitor that high? Also, Ragnarok venting is fairly large and is locate to the right/center of the top. You really don't want to block any venting on the Ragnarok.

Ah! Didn't think about height. Just assumed it'd be similar to the Magni in thickness but yeah you're right, 8" is way too high really. My monitor doesn't go *that* low on its' stand and even so, there's a shelf above it. D'oh! Good point about the venting too, I was wondering whether that would be an issue.

Bugger. Thanks for your response - very helpful! back to the drawing board I guess.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #11,015 of 13,350
Alright guys, i'm trying to find the root to my problem.

are you guys having any floor noise or static with the lyr2

heres my chain  pc>e18>lyr2>lcd-2 or he-500.  both headsets, i'm getting hissing.

source material is cd's.

I know that I should have a better DAC, but I don't buy into expensive DAC's
No noise for me even turned up to 100% at low gain.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #11,018 of 13,350
So i'm a little confused about the new and old bifrost.  so if you have an old bifrost uber, its basically the same as buyingthe new bifrost with the delta chip?  so the new bifrost that cost 500+ is the one that has the multibit?  

if i'm wrong can someone clarify it for me.

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #11,020 of 13,350
  So i'm a little confused about the new and old bifrost.  so if you have an old bifrost uber, its basically the same as buyingthe new bifrost with the delta chip?  so the new bifrost that cost 500+ is the one that has the multibit?  

if i'm wrong can someone clarify it for me.

Old Bifrost had an old delta-sigma DAC chip and optional Uber analog upgrade and optional USB upgrade and it cost $519 (if you go "full monty").

New Bifrost has a new delta-sigma DAC and both Uber analog upgrade and USB upgrade are now standard. It costs $399 (that's a "standard" Bifrost now).
New Bifrost Multibit is the same as normal Bifrost but includes a new R2R DAC section (like in Yggy/Gumby) and costs $599 (that's a TOTL Bifrost now).

Now if you have a Bifrost Uber you have two upgrade paths:

1) Upgrade the DAC section to a new delta-sigma - it costs $100 (and make your Bifrost Uber - modern "standard").
2) Upgrade the DAC section to a new R2R module - it costs $250 (and make your Bifrost Uber - modern TOTL).

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #11,021 of 13,350

Old Bifrost had an old delta-sigma DAC and optional Uber analog upgrade and optional USB upgrade and it cost $519 (if you go "full monty").

New Bifrost has a new delta-sigma DAC and both Uber analog upgrade and USB upgrade are now standard. It costs $399 (that's a "standard" Bifrost now).
New Bifrost Multibit is the same as normal Bifrost but includes a new R2R DAC section (in Yggy/Gumby) and costs $599 (that's a TOTL Bifrost now).

Now if you have a Bifrost Uber you have two upgrade paths:

1) Upgrade the DAC section to a new delta-sigma - it costs $100 (and make your Bifrost Uber - modern "standard").
2) Upgrade the DAC section to a new R2R module - it costs $250 (and make your Bifrost Uber - modern TOTL).

thanks for clearing it up for me.  Been seeing old bifrost with all the bells and whistle come up on the classies since the new ones are being shipped out now.  

Now, the new multibit is quit interesting since is one of the cheaper options for r2r chip.

decisions... decisions...

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #11,022 of 13,350
  Now, the new multibit is quit interesting since is one of the cheaper options for r2r chip.

I have already shipped mine to Schiit for upgrade, expected to be there on Monday... Can't wait to grab my hands on it.

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #11,023 of 13,350
  Now, the new multibit is quite interesting since is by far the least expensive option for a multibit DAC from a manufacturer with serious warranty and support. 

Fixed that for you. 

It's also important to note that Bifrost Multibit is also:

1. The only inexpensive multibit option not based on ancient Philips "pull" or "NOS" parts,
2. The only inexpensive multibit option offering performance far better than chips from the Jurassic Age of digital.
3. The only inexpensive multibit option with Schiit's proprietary "comboburrito" digital filter.
4. The only inexpensive multibit option on an upgradable platform so it's future-proof.

Just a few more things to consider...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 3, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #11,024 of 13,350

I have already shipped mine to Schiit for upgrade, expected to be there on Monday... Can't wait to grab my hands on it.

lucky you.

ya I've never really dabbled in high end dacs cause i wasn't a believer in it.  to me a well made lower end dac does a good enough job for me.  but i think i'm ready to give the higher end ones a shot.

now do i get a used one and upgrade later, when i feel like it.  or just go all out now.  hmmmmm

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #11,025 of 13,350

+1.  Ordered the multibit yesterday, so I'm probably 8-10 places behind you in the queue.  Another Head-Fier told me the multibit upgrade for the Gungnir was totally worth it.  That sold me.

Very interested to read your impressions in a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back