Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 24, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #10,862 of 13,350
  I just came into a pair of ATH-W1000z's and was looking at a Magni 2 Uber or Vali paired with a Modi 2 Uber. 

I've heard these headphones like tubes so the Vali seemed like a solid choice, but I have no experience with tubes or hybrid tube amps at all.
The Modi 2 Uber is purely a budget choice; it offers a variety of inputs while being affordable. The Bifrost is the next comparable DAC and it's just out of the budget.

Would a Vali + Modi 2 Uber be a good choice?

The Vali is very very good.  It's too good for how little it costs.  It's a bit noisy and it's microphonic but it is otherwise sublime.  It gets as much playing time as my Ragnarok.  Those cans are pretty efficient but the impedance is 40something ohms.  You shouldn't have as much of a problem with the noise and ringing.  I never really bothered me.  

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #10,863 of 13,350
I was stressing about which amp I wanted but you two have solidly convinced me the Vali is the right choice. The Modi 2 Uber is clearly an awesome pairing as well. Now we'll see how long I can wait before spending money I shouldn't be spending! :D

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #10,864 of 13,350
I was stressing about which amp I wanted but you two have solidly convinced me the Vali is the right choice. The Modi 2 Uber is clearly an awesome pairing as well. Now we see how long I can wait before spending money I shouldn't be spending!
biggrin.gif

Yeah.  I'm hoping for a Vali 2 down the road with some tweaks.  Maybe in a bigger chassis.  Seriously though, I've done a lot of back and forth with far more expensive amps and this is up there.  Love to hear your impressions.  I've never heard those ATHs.  They look nice.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #10,866 of 13,350
I came from
  Yeah.  I'm hoping for a Vali 2 down the road with some tweaks.  Maybe in a bigger chassis.  Seriously though, I've done a lot of back and forth with far more expensive amps and this is up there.  Love to hear your impressions.  I've never heard those ATHs.  They look nice.

I came from a pair of ATH-A700 that I've had and loved for a decade. I feel in love with the sound profile of that line from a friends A900. I haven't had a really quality DAC/Amp but comparing the same source, my computer's surprisingly-not-awful-but-woefully-underpowered onboard audio the one standout so far: Clarity. The w1000z are in a completely different league compared to the A700 in terms of clarity. I heard concerns about the X model having an issue with lacking bass but as far as I'm concerned that is completely fixed with the Z. The bass is plentiful and as with the A700 very realistic and accurate. I haven't had a chance to listen to them side by side but the W1000 does have a different sound profile, but not so different that it didn't feel familiar to me.

I'm not a professional reviewer and I haven't heard many higher end headphones but these really stand out compared to the A700, which I still absolutely love and think are incredible cans. As always YMMV, it's all subjective, etc, but these things sound insane and absolutely beautiful in person.

I hope that's at least a tiny bit helpful! I'll definitely reply again when I get some good Schiit to power it. :wink:

Edit: I have no willpower and bought a Vali + Modi 2 Uber and a set of their fancy $20 RCA cables. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #10,868 of 13,350
With the valhalla2,
What would be the minimum required specs for a IEM to best work with it?
Like the Ohms and sensitivity?
Would 50omms and 100 or 110bd sensitivity be good?

It's really hard to say.  There are two main variables: impedance and sensitivity.  This amp cannot generate as much current as a solid state amp.  The higher the impedance the better.  As impedance falls and sensitivity increases, you'll get higher noise and less ability to drive.  So, higher impedance and lower sensitivity will get you better results with this amp.  This amp can drive more current than most OTL amps.  It's low gain mode will still be your best choice with IEMs.  

50 or 100 ohms should both be fine.  Generally 6x the output impedance of the amp or more is your best bet.  

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #10,869 of 13,350
Thank you, klipsch has the x7i that is 50ohms and 100 or 110bd sensitivity
It's really hard to say.  There are two main variables: impedance and sensitivity.  This amp cannot generate as much current as a solid state amp.  The higher the impedance the better.  As impedance falls and sensitivity increases, you'll get higher noise and less ability to drive.  So, higher impedance and lower sensitivity will get you better results with this amp.  This amp can drive more current than most OTL amps.  It's low gain mode will still be your best choice with IEMs.  

50 or 100 ohms should both be fine.  Generally 6x the output impedance of the amp or more is your best bet.  

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #10,872 of 13,350
Great, right now I'm using the klipsch s3 or (I think) and there at 15ohm and 100db sensitivity, how much of a quality increase would I get if I get the x7i?
Thanks

Well, all things being equal, you should expect an increase in dynamics and probably an increase in low end response.  I don't know and can't speak to the differences in the sound quality in the designs of those two.  Though the sensitivity goes way up on the x7i, the impedance makes a big jump as well.  I'd expect the noise level to be probably similar, perhaps a little better.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #10,873 of 13,350
Great, right now I'm using the klipsch s3 or (I think) and there at 15ohm and 100db sensitivity, how much of a quality increase would I get if I get the x7i?
Thanks

You keep posting about sensitive and ohms. These are things to consider when pairing with an amplifier, but they have very little, if anything, to do with sound quality. Also, I would've recommended the Asgard 2 for use with IEMs, that way you wouldn't have to worry about noise at all. Tube amps are really for high Ohm headphones like the 600 Ohm Beyerdynamics or the 300 Ohm Sennheisers. From reading Schiit's FAQ, it seems like the Valhalla 2 has minimal IEM support as a bonus feature, not an intended use case. 

Most IEMs under the $200 price range are also usually very easy to drive. An amplifier is likely unnecessary, especially one as nice as Valhalla 2. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #10,874 of 13,350
Thank you, well I really want to use my valhalla2 and it sounds great, but, with limited to IEMs, I'm wanting a better one other then my $35 klipsch that are 15ohms, what iem by klipsch or Shure? Would you recomened?
Thanks
You keep posting about sensitive and ohms. These are things to consider when pairing with an amplifier, but they have very little, if anything, to do with sound quality. Also, I would've recommended the Asgard 2 for use with IEMs, that way you wouldn't have to worry about noise at all. Tube amps are really for high Ohm headphones like the 600 Ohm Beyerdynamics or the 300 Ohm Sennheisers. From reading Schiit's FAQ, it seems like the Valhalla 2 has minimal IEM support as a bonus feature, not an intended use case. 

Most IEMs under the $200 price range are also usually very easy to drive. An amplifier is likely unnecessary, especially one as nice as Valhalla 2. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #10,875 of 13,350
Thank you, well I really want to use my valhalla2 and it sounds great, but, with limited to IEMs, I'm wanting a better one other then my $35 klipsch that are 15ohms, what iem by klipsch or Shure? Would you recomened?
Thanks

I have the Klipsch S2, S3, X5, X7 and X10...you'll find that any of the Klipsch armature driver IEM's will be a BIG step up from the moving coil micro speaker in the S3. You'll have better bass, mids and treble with the armature driver IEM's and if you can do without the 3-button remote you can save a lot at Amazon on the X5 ($94.88), X7 ($80.38) or the X10 ($140.41)

The X10 is a nice all-around IEM (more bass/sounds bigger than the others) for it's tiny size and low cost. The X5 and X7 share the same armature driver, but the X7 uses a ceramic housing rather than aluminum that is used by the X5. I'm not so sure that the X5 isn't the most accurate of the 3, but you give up "some" bass for a more linear sound than the X10. The X5 will stick out of your ear farther than any of the other models...if that matters to you. 

It's true that the Asgard 2 would be the better amp for IEM listening, but if you're sold on the Valhalla 2 (great amp for full-size headphones and a sweet preamp) you can't go too wrong with any of the Klipsch armature IEM's as long as you don't pay the full retail price. The reason I'm trying to steer you towards the non-remote versions is they're often on sale at Amazon and if you're not pleased returns are easy.

If you're willing/able to spend more then I would consider one of the multi-driver IEM's from Shure or Westone...I use the Westone W40's every day and they're stellar. I may even pick up the W60's at some point this year, the Westone's are like having your listening room with you on the go. 

Good luck! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back