Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 16, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #10,831 of 13,350
Thank you, I'm yhinking about eather getting the x7i or x11i but I'm not sure, Im really liking my valhalla2, so any of those would work with the valhalla2? My klipsch s3 are 15ohms
No, both are amps, you wouldn't want to try and double amp your IEM or headphone. iFi makes a tube buffer stage/preamplifier depending on how the switches are set on the bottom of the case if all you want to do is add the warmth of tubes. I believe it's called the iFi iTube Tube Buffer.

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #10,832 of 13,350
So, if I got the Asgard2, could I still get "tube sound" if I used the valhalla2 as a pass through to the asgard2?
Thanks

No, both are amps, you wouldn't want to try and double amp your IEM or headphone. iFi makes a tube buffer stage/preamplifier depending on how the switches are set on the bottom of the case if all you want to do is add the warmth of tubes. I believe it's called the iFi iTube Tube Buffer.

Should preamp outs only be sent to non-integrated speaker amps (i.e., amps without their own volume control)?  I use my Lyr's preamp outs into an Emotiva Fusion Flex and it seems to work pretty well.  Best as I can figure, it's just a matter of gain staging to get the balance I want/like.  I know I'm not alone in using the Lyr out into an integrated speaker amp.

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #10,833 of 13,350

Should preamp outs only be sent to non-integrated speaker amps (i.e., amps without their own volume control)?  I use my Lyr's preamp outs into an Emotiva Fusion Flex and it seems to work pretty well.  Best as I can figure, it's just a matter of gain staging to get the balance I want/like.  I know I'm not alone in using the Lyr out into an integrated speaker amp.

You can use any of Schiit Audio's Headphone amps that have preamp output as a preamp to a speaker amp. I'm sure that you can use a Valhalla 2 as a preamp feeding a Asgard 2, but with IEM's I would be concerned about the noise floor. He asked about the Asgard 2 for driving IEM's and that would work great, but adding the Valhalla 2 would I imagine just add noise. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #10,834 of 13,350
Thank you, I'm limited to IEMs because of something medical with magnets, should I get a high ohm iem or a low ohm? I found the klipsch x7i or x11i that have 50ohms
You can use any of Schiit Audio's Headphone amps that have preamp output as a preamp to a speaker amp. I'm sure that you can use a Valhalla 2 as a preamp feeding a Asgard 2, but with IEM's I would be concerned about the noise floor. He asked about the Asgard 2 for driving IEM's and that would work great, but adding the Valhalla 2 would I imagine just add noise. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #10,835 of 13,350
Will Schiit ever make a amp/dac that can handle low ohms IEMs?
I like the se846 that's at 8ohms,
So those wouldn't be good to use with the Valhalla2 right?

The SE846's work well with my Asgard 2 and Valhalla 2 in low gain mode.

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #10,836 of 13,350
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg

According to Nick at Schitt the Valhalla can be fairly noisy with low ohm IEM's.

Yup, according to a lot of people...

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #10,839 of 13,350
Sep 17, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #10,840 of 13,350
Sep 18, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #10,841 of 13,350
  This is my first external amp and dac.  Lots of choices out there, but I think I chose well.  

Very nice stack of Schiit...  Congratulations 
L3000.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #10,843 of 13,350
Would this work? Or be more dedicated to get great quality?
If I got a Bifrost and mani (the phono one)
And then got a marantz amplifier (with phono input) using it with 2 tower speakers,
Would the Schiit Mani(phono) be good to use? Insted of directly connecting the rca of the bifrost to a marantz amplifier but through the mani?

Thanks

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #10,844 of 13,350
Would this work? Or be more dedicated to get great quality?
If I got a Bifrost and mani (the phono one)
And then got a marantz amplifier (with phono input) using it with 2 tower speakers,
Would the Schiit Mani(phono) be good to use? Insted of directly connecting the rca of the bifrost to a marantz amplifier but through the mani?

Thanks

No, the Mani is a preamp used to took hook up a turntable to play "phono"graphic long play records (LP's) to an amp.  Turntables have a far less powerful line signal out than standard line outs.  The mani boosts this phono signal to normal line levels for the input to the amp.  Your Marantz already has a phono preamp built in.  From the Bifrost you would hook to the aux input on your Marantz via rca.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #10,845 of 13,350
Thank you!
No, the Mani is a preamp used to took hook up a turntable to play "phono"graphic long play records (LP's) to an amp.  Turntables have a far less powerful line signal out than standard line outs.  The mani boosts this phono signal to normal line levels for the input to the amp.  Your Marantz already has a phono preamp built in.  From the Bifrost you would hook to the aux input on your Marantz via rca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back