Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 10, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #10,788 of 13,350
Great, so are they worth the $1k? I want to get them but in not sure, so Nick T said not to use them with Schiit? The specs seem like they could of had higher ohms for that price. I'm going to plan on getting them one day

ohms of headphones and sound quality also unrelated btw.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #10,790 of 13,350
Great, so are they worth the $1k? I want to get them but in not sure, so Nick T said not to use them with Schiit? The specs seem like they could of had higher ohms for that price. I'm going to plan on getting them one day

They're worth it if you want earbuds. Nick @ Schiit said not to use them with the Valhalla 2, I've used them with an Asgard 2 for months now and have had no problems.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #10,792 of 13,350
Great, why not use them with the V2? I do have my v2 has a pass through when I want.

Probably because of the impedance of the buds, the specs say the impedance is 9 ohms.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #10,794 of 13,350
I received my Lyr 2 a few days ago. I've used it with my LCD-2.1 and HD600 phones with very good results. (Previously I drove all my phones from Apogee Duet's headphone out.)

All the mid-bass boominess seems to have vanished, with some nice thump added to the sub-bass region. Also all the instruments seem to come from a wider stereo-field. One thing I liked a bit more with the Duet - highs had some more sizzle and presence with the Audezes. Maybe the LISST "tubes" help bring back some SS-attack to the high frequencies, well see... Since I ordered a pair a few days ago :)

Tube rolling is not something I'm looking forward to. Hopefully I'll be getting what I need with LISSTs.

BTW: what do you guys think about the DAC-section of the 1st gen Duets? Are there much better DACs for "reasonable" prices? I'm using Duet's DAC right now.

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #10,795 of 13,350
You have the Shure IEM se846? How are they? Those are my goal kinda to save up for.

If you ever buy them, do yourself a favor and order some custom Sensaphonics sleeves.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #10,796 of 13,350
When using a Modi 2 Uber, which connection type is going to offer the best sound quality?  

I'd assume optical, although USB is pretty much the standard nowadays.  I don't know if it's the standard because it's so universal or if it offers the best sound quality.   I know PC to USB can sometimes have interference, which can be cleaned up with something like the Wyrd, but would it be better to just skip the Wyrd and go optical?

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #10,797 of 13,350
When using a Modi 2 Uber, which connection type is going to offer the best sound quality?  

I'd assume optical, although USB is pretty much the standard nowadays.  I don't know if it's the standard because it's so universal or if it offers the best sound quality.   I know PC to USB can sometimes have interference, which can be cleaned up with something like the Wyrd, but would it be better to just skip the Wyrd and go optical?

Optical can be quite susceptible to jitter. I'd suggest coaxial if you can, then USB, then optical.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #10,798 of 13,350
Optical can be quite susceptible to jitter. I'd suggest coaxial if you can, then USB, then optical.

Quick follow up. Usb has come quite a long ways in the last two years. Depending on your implementation and source, a USB with wyrd could actually be best but that is an extra 100 bucks. All else being equal, I'd suggest my previous.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #10,800 of 13,350
I had no issues with USB drop-outs running my original DAC - the Schiit UberBiFrost.  Then, I upgraded to the Gungnir and immediately had USB drop-out issues.  Returned two AQ cables that turned out to not be the problem.  At the advice of Nick at Schiit, I then purchased the Wyrd and that took care of the drop outs.  However, got tired of having to use the Wyrd and switched to optical feed.  Luckily, both my MacBook pro and AK120ii support optical feed into the Gungnir.  Now on to the Gumby with optical feed, have had no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back