Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 8, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #10,756 of 13,350
  2 RCA out is not a bad idea though....the only reason I haven't bought one yet is the lack of a 2nd pair of RCA out to connect to my speaker amp......

Use an RCA Y splitter.

+1 to that.  I just added a pair to split the Bifrost's OUT to the Lyr and the SYS (and on to a speaker amp).  I think I paid $5 + $0.99 shipping for both from Walmart (pre-DIY days :wink:  They're nice and short and work like a coupla champs.  Enjoying 'em as I type 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you read Schiit's FAQ for the SYS, they reference Y cables at least once.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #10,757 of 13,350

+1 to that.  I just added a pair to split the Bifrost's OUT to the Lyr and the SYS (and on to a speaker amp).  I think I paid $5 + $0.99 shipping for both from Walmart (pre-DIY days :wink:  They're nice and short and work like a coupla champs.  Enjoying 'em as I type 
smily_headphones1.gif

If you read Schiit's FAQ for the SYS, they reference Y cables at least once.

I still don't quite get how that should look like......

so you use 2 splitters, one for each channel of the Bifrosts RCA out, then connect the two ends of one splitter to the same channel of your headphone amp and speaker amp (and the same thing with the other splitter)?

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #10,758 of 13,350

so you use 2 splitters, one for each channel of the Bifrosts RCA out, then connect the two ends of one splitter to the same channel of your headphone amp and speaker amp (and the same thing with the other splitter)?

Yes, exactly...

Use something like:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-adapter-male-female-assembly/dp/B0009MFRW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441750636&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+splitter+gold

or

http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Splitter-Adapter-Atomic-Market/dp/B00AX2D34K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1441750636&sr=8-5&keywords=rca+splitter+gold

or even cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-104-Male-Female-Cable/dp/B000068O4Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441750765&sr=8-1&keywords=rca+y+cable

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #10,759 of 13,350
And that won't deteriorate the signal? I remember reading that using y-splitters to connect 2 headphones to one amp isnt a good idea. So I thought it might be the same in this case :wink: Maybe entirely different cases though.....

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #10,760 of 13,350
  And that won't deteriorate the signal? I remember reading that using y-splitters to connect 2 headphones to one amp isnt a good idea. So I thought it might be the same in this case :wink: Maybe entirely different cases though.....

No, the signal will be fine and yes that is a different situation with headphones versus line signals...

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #10,762 of 13,350

What @MWSVette said.  I use ones like the Hosa (they might be Hosa).  It's a fine brand.  Handy for connecting a sub to an AVR, too.

Thanks for replying.  I was busy watching the end of the 4th set of the US Open 
wink.gif

No, the signal will be fine and yes that is a different situation with headphones versus line signals...

Exactly.  You can bet Schiit wouldn't link to the ultra-budget Monoprice solution if they thought it would degrade the signal.

A pair of Y cables and the SYS (already owned it) give me three INs to my dual-IN speaker amp.  Covers my main needs nicely.  Comparing the speaker amp with and without the Lyr as preamp is a push of the SYS button away.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #10,763 of 13,350
In just wondering, that's all
Do yourself a favor and learn what a DAC is and how it operates on just the basic level.  A DAC takes a Digital signal in and Converts it to an Analog signal, which it then outputs, generally via RCA.  The coax in will use the RCA form factor.  Are you saying that you're wondering if Schiit is going to add a second coax IN to the Bifrost?  If so, then I'm pretty sure the answer is No.  If, by "2 sets of RCA in" you're referring to an analog signal, go back to square one about how a DAC works.

Regardless, I wouldn't bet on the Bifrost changing its INs and OUTs.

As to USB on an external drive, I'm not sure how that relates to the Bifrost.

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #10,764 of 13,350
I use these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-pcs-Gold-Plated-1-Male-to-2-Female-RCA-Splitter-Adapter-AV-Video-Audio-/161189631082?hash=item2587a6946a adapters to split the Bifrost signal.

In fact I bought several variations of these. They are solid and work well.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #10,765 of 13,350
I've now have used my Valhalla2 for about 5 hours in all since I've gotten it.
The tubes are glowing about the same.
The 2 front tubes are about even Brightness but the 2 tubes in the back are a little dimmer but now about even, the right one was dimmer then the left a little.

The vocals are really sounding good now and the background music is showing more (I think) and its kinda a warm sound I think.
Vs my magni and modi, I can turn the volume up more on the Valhalla and the sound dosnt sound "in my ear" but more of a "space sound" that's good.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #10,766 of 13,350
I've now have used my Valhalla2 for about 5 hours in all since I've gotten it.
The tubes are glowing about the same.
The 2 front tubes are about even Brightness but the 2 tubes in the back are a little dimmer but now about even, the right one was dimmer then the left a little.

The vocals are really sounding good now and the background music is showing more (I think) and its kinda a warm sound I think.
Vs my magni and modi, I can turn the volume up more on the Valhalla and the sound dosnt sound "in my ear" but more of a "space sound" that's good.

I'm jealous, mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. What headphones are you using with it?

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #10,767 of 13,350
I'm using some klipsch 3G IEM (it's before the klipsch s4i ) I looked and the 3G is 16ohms, I'm looking to get 50ohm klipsch x7i or the X11 but I'm not sure yet, I would like to get shures like the 425 or 535 but I might just go with klipsch.
I'm jealous, mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. What headphones are you using with it?

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #10,769 of 13,350
So with Schiit and iptical audio,
Apple just came out with the new Apple TV and it dosnt have optical audio but still a hdmi.
Does anyone think Schiit will look at doing HDMI in the future? I know of course I'm not limited to only using a Apple TV with my dac but, it's a main popular way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back