Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #10,727 of 13,350
Ok, but what's tve diffrence with the uber analog vs without? If I get that, then would t I pay over $1k? Bifrost+ uber analog= $1k?
Absolutely worth it. Bests so many usb/spdif converters out there at higher prices. Plenty of info around headfi on that. I'd absolutely get the uber analog first, then decide if you need usb. If you're hooking to a computer, go for it. Later, a wyrd or similar device MAY offer increased performance beyond that.

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #10,729 of 13,350
Ok, well I have a headphone jack, is usb better then that?
Thanks

Apples and oranges.  A headphone jack is going to be analog.  You might have a digital out on a "soundcard" that you could use with a 3.5 mm plug.  Only you and your PC can answer that one.  USB is, by its nature, digital.  A DAC, by its nature, takes a Digital signal and Converts it to Analog.

The three typical methods of sending a digital signal out from a PC are USB, optical and coax(ial), the latter two falling under the S/P-DIF (usually written as SPDIF) standard.  Someone may correct me re: S/P-DIF.

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #10,730 of 13,350
Ok, but what's tve diffrence with the uber analog vs without? If I get that, then would t I pay over $1k? Bifrost+ uber analog= $1k?

I can't answer that, since I got mine with the Uber Analog already in it.

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #10,732 of 13,350
Ok, so if I can ask, with the uber analog add on, so the cost is over $1k? For the bifrost uber? Thanks

If you go look http://schiit.com/products/bifrost with all the bells and whistles (Uber analog and USB) it's $519 USD

I feel like a pitch man - I swear I don't work for them - I am just a fan of their products.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #10,733 of 13,350
Ok, so if I can ask, with the uber analog add on, so the cost is over $1k? For the bifrost uber? Thanks

Spec it out at Schiit's website.  It will give you the total.  Having bought the Bifrost with the Gen 2 USB and Uber Analog upgrades, I can assure you it's less than $600, unless some tsunami of inflation suddenly engulfed southern California.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #10,735 of 13,350
I have the Modi 2 Uber and also the Bifrost with Analog Uber. The differences are there, but if it is worth the price difference I am not sure. I feel the Bifrost sounds a bit more clear.

For me was the decision to go with these 2 setups the size also. In one room I wanted to have a tube amp, which is the Lyr 2, and with that the Bifrost fits perfectly together. The combination Lyr and Bifrost is great with different cans. Especially the AKG 701 and 7xx became much better.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #10,736 of 13,350
Thank you, is the uber analog more for big headphones? Or could or work with IEMs?
I have the Modi 2 Uber and also the Bifrost with Analog Uber. The differences are there, but if it is worth the price difference I am not sure. I feel the Bifrost sounds a bit more clear.

For me was the decision to go with these 2 setups the size also. In one room I wanted to have a tube amp, which is the Lyr 2, and with that the Bifrost fits perfectly together. The combination Lyr and Bifrost is great with different cans. Especially the AKG 701 and 7xx became much better.

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #10,738 of 13,350

One of the big reasons to go with the Bifrost over the Modi is that the Bifrost is upgradable.

So, you could start with the base Bifrost if that's all you need.  Then later add USB if that's necessary or do the Uber upgrade.  In fact, the original USB implementation for the Bifrost was replaced with the improved USB implementation that was done for the Gungnir.  

If one had bought the original base Bifrost when first offered then there have been 3 possible upgrades:  original USB, Uber analog, and gen  2 USB.

Theoretically, sometime in the future, Schiit may offer an R2R upgrade, similar to the Gungnir R2R upgrade and maybe a gen 3 USB.  But that's speculative.

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #10,739 of 13,350
Great, but in General, how much bestter is the uber vs the regular bifrost? I think using the bifrost with a receiver is when I would upgrade it, I can only use IEMs and I think a 2.1 stereo setup might be better for it.
But, with all the connections inbetween usb/coaxl/optical audio, which is best for music quality?
Thank you
One of the big reasons to go with the Bifrost over the Modi is that the Bifrost is upgradable.

So, you could start with the base Bifrost if that's all you need.  Then later add USB if that's necessary or do the Uber upgrade.  In fact, the original USB implementation for the Bifrost was replaced with the improved USB implementation that was done for the Gungnir.  

If one had bought the original base Bifrost when first offered then there have been 3 possible upgrades:  original USB, Uber analog, and gen  2 USB.

Theoretically, sometime in the future, Schiit may offer an R2R upgrade, similar to the Gungnir R2R upgrade and maybe a gen 3 USB.  But that's speculative.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #10,740 of 13,350
Great, but in General, how much bestter is the uber vs the regular bifrost? I think using the bifrost with a receiver is when I would upgrade it, I can only use IEMs and I think a 2.1 stereo setup might be better for it.
But, with all the connections inbetween usb/coaxl/optical audio, which is best for music quality?
Thank you

I've made many tests about this matter. Coax and Toslink is little smoother than USB. It's probably because of the path getting shorter with Toslink from mainboard's and DAC's side compared to USB. Beside that there is no diffrence about anything. Some people keep saying "Jitter" but I haven't notice anything about that. Hearing jitter on a 192/24 device would be impossible.
I'm using Modi 2 Uber but I know people who says Bifrost is better with Toslink. I wouldn't say better but according to him it is better.
And I have to say C-Media USB chip isn't the most durable thing, my USB side got burned, I'm using Toslink now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back