Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #10,711 of 13,350
I joined the Schiit Valhalla tube rolling thread but it looks like not allot of people are active?

My question is now getting into tubes is,
Has anyone rolled tubes for some that go well with the GreatfulDead?
To me they have a warm sound that fills up the air and room kinda, so, what would be some good tubes?

Thanks, and also, so only the fromt tubes can be changed?

The thread might be not as active, but that doesn't mean you can't search through the thread. Even if you can't find any mention of your band, see what people are listening to and extrapolate that kind of information to see if it fits with your musical tastes and your listening goals.

A lot of the questions you ask could've been solved by doing what I just suggested. Put in some work man.

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #10,712 of 13,350
Thank you, well I know what I'm looking for as far as sound, but, as far as a convenient place to get tubes quickly, I'm not sure where to get any.
The thread might be not as active, but that doesn't mean you can't search through the thread. Even if you can't find any mention of your band, see what people are listening to and extrapolate that kind of information to see if it fits with your musical tastes and your listening goals.

A lot of the questions you ask could've been solved by doing what I just suggested. Put in some work man.

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #10,713 of 13,350
I've now used my new Valhalla2 a handful of times now (possibly about 3 hours or a little over) and vs my magni and modi, the V2 seems more of a open farther away sound (good) and not as upfront loud as the magni and modi. It seems like I can go louder with the V2 and it dosnt fatigue my ears as much and I hear more detail. I would always end up not hearing well after listened to the magni + modi, for some reason I'm not wanting to turn the volume up allot on the V2.
(A tube keeps being loose after I turn it off tho basicly everytime, the 2 short tubes are fine)

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #10,714 of 13,350
I've now used my new Valhalla2 a handful of times now (possibly about 3 hours or a little over) and vs my magni and modi, the V2 seems more of a open farther away sound (good) and not as upfront loud as the magni and modi. It seems like I can go louder with the V2 and it dosnt fatigue my ears as much and I hear more detail. I would always end up not hearing well after listened to the magni + modi, for some reason I'm not wanting to turn the volume up allot on the V2.
(A tube keeps being loose after I turn it off tho basicly everytime, the 2 short tubes are fine)

I also prefer the sound of the Valhalla2 over the Magni.
As you found out when you got the Valhalla2, the tubes require some force to seat fully.  I suggest that after you turn off the amp, and let it discharge fully (20 minutes or so), then remove the tube that is loose, and re-seat it firmly.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #10,715 of 13,350
Ok, well I'll set it and it dosnt move, but then it just becomes loose and when I turn it on it moves out of place. I wish there was a close audio place that I could get socket savers and and new in the future. How long do tubes take to "break in"?
As you found out when you got the Valhalla2, the tubes require some force to seat fully.  I suggest that after you turn off the amp, and let it discharge fully (20 minutes or so), then remove the tube that is loose, and re-seat it firmly.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #10,716 of 13,350
My klipsch 3G (I think is the name) I think do better on the v2, I looked it up and there a 16ohm IEM, some klipsch IEMs I like are 50ohms, the x7i and X11. Then there's another IEM that's like 150ohms and 100 sensitivity, but I'm not too sure about it.

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #10,717 of 13,350
Does anyone know if there's a diffrence between the modi and the Bifrost?

I'm thinking of getting the bifrost latter on, possibly to use with my marantz, but,
What are the pros and cons to upgrading to the bifrost from my modi?

Thabks

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #10,718 of 13,350
I've got a Bifrost with Uber Analog, I purchased after listening to a friends Magni/Modi setup. There is a difference, it's slight but the Bifrost has a better sound. My Bifrost sounds less muddy compared my buddies modi. That's not saying the Modi is muddy sounding by any means but to me there was a difference and Bifrost was the winner.

I can't tell you how it compares to the Modi 2, I haven't had the opportunity to listen to one of those yet.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #10,719 of 13,350
Thanks,
I got a magni + modi over a year ago and I just recently got the Valhalla2,
I'm not really into using USB but I like the optical audio on the modi,
If I did get usb I would use it with my Mac and or get the WYRD and connext it to my stereo. A main thing I might do if I get the bifrost is use it with my stereo, but since it's only 2.1 channels I'm not sure.
If I got another smaller receiver that has a small channel like a 2.1 I would rather have the bifrost designated to a different stereo just for it.
(Have you ever tried the valhalla2?)
I've got a Bifrost with Uber Analog, I purchased after listening to a friends Magni/Modi setup. There is a difference, it's slight but the Bifrost has a better sound. My Bifrost sounds less muddy compared my buddies modi. That's not saying the Modi is muddy sounding by any means but to me there was a difference and Bifrost was the winner.

I can't tell you how it compares to the Modi 2, I haven't had the opportunity to listen to one of those yet.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #10,720 of 13,350
Thanks,
I got a magni + modi over a year ago and I just recently got the Valhalla2,
I'm not really into using USB but I like the optical audio on the modi,
If I did get usb I would use it with my Mac and or get the WYRD and connext it to my stereo. A main thing I might do if I get the bifrost is use it with my stereo, but since it's only 2.1 channels I'm not sure.
If I got another smaller receiver that has a small channel like a 2.1 I would rather have the bifrost designated to a different stereo just for it.
(Have you ever tried the valhalla2?)

I currently have the Bifrost / Asgard 2 combo. I ordered the Valhalla 2 last week with a delivery ETA of this Thursday.

Btw - I use the USB input on the Bifrost with my MacBook Pro and it's been flawless.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #10,721 of 13,350
Ok great, so with USB, I don't know if it was someone using windows or if it was a Mac but, someone mentioned eather their computer recognized the Schiit usb as a virus or they ended up getting one or possibly it was just software on the computer protecting that unknown source untill it was recognized. BUT IM NOT SURE WHEN THAT POST WAS I just saw that someone had a problem.
I currently have the Bifrost / Asgard 2 combo. I ordered the Valhalla 2 last week with a delivery ETA of this Thursday.

Btw - I use the USB input on the Bifrost with my MacBook Pro and it's been flawless.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #10,722 of 13,350
So is the usb upgrade worth the $100? I think that if I do get the usb then I would go with setting up the bifrost on a separate av receiver and have the usb connected to my computer. (To make most of the 2 channels) I like a surround sound more, I think I'll look into getting towers at some point for that.
Ok great, so with USB, I don't know if it was someone using windows or if it was a Mac but, someone mentioned eather their computer recognized the Schiit usb as a virus or they ended up getting one or possibly it was just software on the computer protecting that unknown source untill it was recognized. BUT IM NOT SURE WHEN THAT POST WAS I just saw that someone had a problem.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #10,723 of 13,350

I find someone getting a virus from installing drivers for the Bifrost very hard to believe. More than likely their Anti-Virus overreacted or misclassified the drivers.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #10,724 of 13,350
So is the usb upgrade worth the $100? I think that if I do get the usb then I would go with setting up the bifrost on a separate av receiver and have the usb connected to my computer. (To make most of the 2 channels) I like a surround sound more, I think I'll look into getting towers at some point for that.

It's worth the $ if you don't have optical or digital audio out on your computer already and want to play music from a computer.

Sep 7, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #10,725 of 13,350

Absolutely worth it. Bests so many usb/spdif converters out there at higher prices. Plenty of info around headfi on that. I'd absolutely get the uber analog first, then decide if you need usb. If you're hooking to a computer, go for it. Later, a wyrd or similar device MAY offer increased performance beyond that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back