Schiit Owners Unite
May 23, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #10,276 of 13,350
  "Skin Effect" has no relevance with audio frequencies, at all. You are probably thinking of cable capacitance.

Thanks StanD.
But MY hearing extends to 100 kHz! (BatBoy)  Capacitance can rolloff high frequencies. I used to tinker with speaker building and Radio Shack had capacitors, transistors, etc. 

No desire to spread mis-information. The articles compared various Audiophile and less expensive cables and concluded there was little difference in the audible frequencies based on measurements. The point was made that in nearly every case "skin effect" was NOT relevant in the audible frequencies unless you are a Bat. The point that they were talking about LONG runs makes capacitance the likely culprit

May 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #10,277 of 13,350
  Thanks StanD.
But MY hearing extends to 100 kHz! (BatBoy)  Capacitance can rolloff high frequencies. I used to tinker with speaker building and Radio Shack had capacitors, transistors, etc. 
I'll go digging but I thought I saw actual measurements showing that an extremely LONG thin "Audiophile" cable had some role off at the limits of human hearing. If I misread it-I'll post. It may be my late night reading (on my phone) missed the change of charts to roll off due to microfarads. 

No desire to spread mis-information. The articles compared various Audiophile and less expensive cables and concluded there was little difference in the audible frequencies based on measurements. The point was made that in nearly every case "skin effect" was NOT relevant in the audible frequencies unless you are a Bat. The point that they were talking about LONG runs makes capacitance the likely culprit

You stated that "Skin Effect is not relevant in the audio frequencies until you have  LONG runs of thin cable)." Skin effect has to do with radio frequencies and microwaves, not audio or even ultrasonic. Lets not confuse anyone. 
wink.gif

May 23, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #10,278 of 13,350
  Thank you for your good advice.  The OPPO 981 DVD player I am using, insofar as I know, has only a coaxial digital output with which to connect it to my Yggdrasil, so, no balanced output to a digital equalizer, otherwise, that might be a good idea.  Oh, and I am actually aiming at the "entry level" or first step above that in the "audiophile" interconnects, where there tends to be a much bigger bang for one's buck.  I am not expecting miracles...however, I cannot imagine that the synergy between the Ragnarok and the Yggdrasil could result in the sonic presentation I am now receiving, as the only change I made between "before" and "now", is the replacement of Bifrost with the Yggdrasil, as well as using the Blue Jeans Company recommended cables, as well as lengthening those cables and using balanced cables...

May 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #10,279 of 13,350
You stated that "Skin Effect is not relevant in the audio frequencies until you have  LONG runs of thin cable)." Skin effect has to do with radio frequencies and microwaves, not audio or even ultrasonic. Lets not confuse anyone. :wink:  

Right you are!

May 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #10,280 of 13,350
  You stated that "Skin Effect is not relevant in the audio frequencies until you have  LONG runs of thin cable)." Skin effect has to do with radio frequencies and microwaves, not audio or even ultrasonic. Lets not confuse anyone. 
wink.gif

Good catch.
Oh. Bad ExAcoustat! BAD Edit, bad writing. Delete the Until you have Long- goes with capacitance not microwaves. I've no desire to be given credence to Snake Oil purveyors based on Math-with probable incorrect assumptions.

Here is the source. http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/skin-effect-relevance-in-speaker-cables
I see calculated 3% increase in resistance "due to Skin Effect" at 20 Khz.in an extreme case. IMHO even IF true- no one other than a child MIGHT notice a 3% drop at 20 KHZ. EDIT: I also assume that the roll off (real) from Capacitance would be greater?
My own knowledge is not deep enough as of yet to see the error. But I assume even if the math works-there is an incorrect assumption being made? Have at it StanD!
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-face-off-1

May 23, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #10,281 of 13,350
  Good catch.
Oh. Bad ExAcoustat! BAD Edit, bad writing. Delete the Until you have Long- goes with capacitance not microwaves. I've no desire to be given credence to Snake Oil purveyors based on Math-with probable incorrect assumptions.

Here is the source. http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/skin-effect-relevance-in-speaker-cables
I see calculated 3% increase in resistance "due to Skin Effect" at 20 Khz.in an extreme case. IMHO even IF true- no one other than a child MIGHT notice a 3% drop at 20 KHZ. EDIT: I also assume that the roll off (real) from Capacitance would be greater?
My own knowledge is not deep enough as of yet to see the error. But I assume even if the math works-there is an incorrect assumption being made? Have at it StanD!
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-face-off-1

Keep in mind that the example's less than 3% effect is on an already very low reisistance 12 GA wire (fraction of an Ohm at 10 feet). This is like almost nothing.

May 23, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #10,282 of 13,350
Keep in mind that the example's less than 3% effect is on an already very low reisistance 12 GA wire (fraction of an Ohm at 10 feet). This is like almost nothing.

Almost nothing-not the same as nothing- but probably not audible. That's different from saying there is no Skin Effect

May 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #10,284 of 13,350
So after more than 2 years happy with my modi/magni stack... I just bought a lyr... Oops.

May 26, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #10,285 of 13,350
May 26, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #10,287 of 13,350
Hello everyone, new member here...

I just purchased a Schiit Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2 stack, plus a pair of a LCD 2F to go along with it.  I'm upgrading from a Fiio X5/E12 < HD 650 combo.  My music needs are fairly basic.  I'm not overly critical of the sound, but I do want it to have a bit more life/dynamics than I'm currently getting.  My music is all in FLAC format copied directly from my large-ish CD collection using Exact Audio Copy.  The plan right now is to run coax from the X5 into the Bifrost.  Does this seem like a reasonable setup for now?  I don't want to hook it up to a PC, at least not at the moment, although I'm open to suggestions.

I'm still a bit nervous as this is by far the most I've spent on audio gear.  Being fairly new to the headphone side of things, I keep second guessing my choices.  I have absolutely no experience with tubes, but I figured at least with Schiit, if I absolutely hate the Lyr, I can always return it and go with something solid state.  By having both the HD 650 and the LCD2, I can swap back and forth as the mood strikes me, plus the HD 650 can move over to my computer and do double duty there when I want to listen to music while gaming/surfing.  (As an aside, my wife has stated numerous times that my music doesn't bother her whenever I suggest I could wear headphones, but I notice a consistent change in her personality, for the worse, when I'm listening to something she doesn't like.  Plus, some of my death/black metal scares her.) Anyway, this is where my interest in getting into higher end headphones and audio gear stems from.  If I'm going to make headphones my main way of listening to music, I want to do it right and not half-ass it.   So, having said that, I'm hoping that I'll be quite happy for at least a few years with this setup.

May 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #10,288 of 13,350

I just purchased a Schiit Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2 stack, plus a pair of a LCD 2F to go along with it.  I'm upgrading from a Fiio X5/E12 < HD 650 combo.  My music needs are fairly basic. 

I have the Uber with a Lyr 1 and HD650. I think you will like the sound. If you like the HD650 with a FIIO, you should be fine. Don't have the LCD 2. Can't speak to that.

May 27, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #10,289 of 13,350

I just purchased a Schiit Bifrost Uber and Lyr 2 stack, plus a pair of a LCD 2F to go along with it.  I'm upgrading from a Fiio X5/E12 < HD 650 combo.  My music needs are fairly basic.  I'm not overly critical of the sound, but I do want it to have a bit more life/dynamics than I'm currently getting.  My music is all in FLAC format copied directly from my large-ish CD collection using Exact Audio Copy.  The plan right now is to run coax from the X5 into the Bifrost.  Does this seem like a reasonable setup for now?  I don't want to hook it up to a PC, at least not at the moment, although I'm open to suggestions.

I'm still a bit nervous as this is by far the most I've spent on audio gear.  Being fairly new to the headphone side of things, I keep second guessing my choices.  I have absolutely no experience with tubes, but I figured at least with Schiit, if I absolutely hate the Lyr, I can always return it and go with something solid state.  By having both the HD 650 and the LCD2, I can swap back and forth as the mood strikes me, plus the HD 650 can move over to my computer and do double duty there when I want to listen to music while gaming/surfing.  (As an aside, my wife has stated numerous times that my music doesn't bother her whenever I suggest I could wear headphones, but I notice a consistent change in her personality, for the worse, when I'm listening to something she doesn't like.  Plus, some of my death/black metal scares her.) Anyway, this is where my interest in getting into higher end headphones and audio gear stems from.  If I'm going to make headphones my main way of listening to music, I want to do it right and not half-ass it.   So, having said that, I'm hoping that I'll be quite happy for at least a few years with this setup.

I took a similar route as you... I've got an LCD/2F (along with my Grado GS1000e's) and upgraded from the Fiio X1/E12 to the Bifrost Uber/Lyr2. Well... I should say, I upgraded to the Lyr2 after mistakenly buying a Valhalla 2 (talk about second guessing one's choices). Beautiful amp, just the wrong one for these cans. Anyway... I think you'll love the setup. I use my computer as a transport mostly, but on occasion use my AK120 via toslink. Your X5 with all the capacity it has (two SD card slots, right?) should make a pretty good transport. 
Funny what you said about your wife - My girlfriend and I share very opposite taste in music. The reaction you get from yours when you listen to music without headphones, is the same reaction I get when I listen to music WITH my headphones. :wink: I'll never forget when I first moved in, setup my listening space and fired up my Grados. Through no fault of her own, she'd never witnessed open headphones before and was so confused as to why she could hear them so loudly while they were on my head. I remember her saying, "Isn't the whole point of you wearing headphones, so I don't have to hear your music?"
blink.gif
 hah!

Tell you what though - It made rationalizing the purchase of my CIEMs much easier. 
beerchug.gif

May 27, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #10,290 of 13,350
I took a similar route as you... I've got an LCD/2F (along with my Grado GS1000e's) and upgraded from the Fiio X1/E12 to the Bifrost Uber/Lyr2. Well... I should say, I upgraded to the Lyr2 after mistakenly buying a Valhalla 2 (talk about second guessing one's choices). Beautiful amp, just the wrong one for these cans. Anyway... I think you'll love the setup. I use my computer as a transport mostly, but on occasion use my AK120 via toslink. Your X5 with all the capacity it has (two SD card slots, right?) should make a pretty good transport. 
Funny what you said about your wife - My girlfriend and I share very opposite taste in music. The reaction you get from yours when you listen to music without headphones, is the same reaction I get when I listen to music WITH my headphones. :wink: I'll never forget when I first moved in, setup my listening space and fired up my Grados. Through no fault of her own, she'd never witnessed open headphones before and was so confused as to why she could hear them so loudly while they were on my head. I remember her saying, "Isn't the whole point of you wearing headphones, so I don't have to hear your music?" :blink:  hah!

Tell you what though - It made rationalizing the purchase of my CIEMs much easier. :beerchug:  

Similar story, Valhalla, then Lyr 2, even open headphones and Family. My Daughter hates my music, I know shocker what teenager doesn't like classical and jazz:wink:. Tried Alpha Dogs,really didn't like them, now have Alclair RSMs CIEMS. They rock, I never dreamed an in-ear could have a soundstage comparable to an over ear (some very good ones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back