Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 18, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #9,991 of 13,350
I am working on a custom grocery cart the will have a usb port, and a place for 3 car batteries, need something to run my rag and yiggy. :D
Hey a homeless Audiophile must have the basics covered lol. I wonder if I can get a portable generator that runs on moonshine .

Hahah! I think you want Deep Cycle Marine batteries and a voltage inverter to convert to AC. Better design for constant power! I like your concept!

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #9,993 of 13,350

I bought a Matrix M-DAC, haven't been impressed, it went to work for speaker use.

HRT Music Streamer HD is a nice DAC, doesn't do anything wrong, dead quiet noise floor but the Gungnir spanks it. Not sure how it would compare to the Bifrost.

How do you describe the sound of the Gungnir? It's on my shortlist to upgrade my Bifrost.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #9,994 of 13,350
  How do you describe the sound of the Gungnir? It's on my shortlist to upgrade my Bifrost.

It sounds like what I expect the music should sound like. Doesn't seem to emphasize anything, nor really lacking anything.

I'd say if you're looking for a neutral DAC with a well balanced character it would be a good choice. I've been very happy with it.

One thing worth noting is that the balanced output is better than the single ended outputs. The single ended outputs also have a much higher noise floor. I can only hear the noise floor of my amp with Gungnir and it's got a low noise floor itself.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #9,995 of 13,350

It sounds like what I expect the music should sound like. Doesn't seem to emphasize anything, nor really lacking anything.

I'd say if you're looking for a neutral DAC with a well balanced character it would be a good choice. I've been very happy with it.

One thing worth noting is that the balanced output is better than the single ended outputs. The single ended outputs also have a much higher noise floor. I can only hear the noise floor of my amp with Gungnir and it's got a low noise floor itself.

Thanks for your impressions. I'm mostly happy with my Bifrost, but my tax return is burning a hole in my pocket. I'm considering Gungir or Teac UD-501. My amp does have XLR in.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #9,996 of 13,350
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the last 600+ pages but I'm getting ready to order a Bifrost/Lyr stack.  Is there any word on the Bifrost potentially being updated? 

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #9,997 of 13,350
  Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the last 600+ pages but I'm getting ready to order a Bifrost/Lyr stack.  Is there any word on the Bifrost potentially being updated? 

Nothing in the wind. Updates should be in the form of plugin boards that work with the existing Bifrost, so down the road we should be covered.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #9,998 of 13,350
Unlike a lot of companies, Schiit Audio has shown that they will actually offer updates/upgrades when they're meaningful and it's extremely difficult to beat their DAC's at each given price point. I think you'll love the Bifrost and Lyr.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #9,999 of 13,350
Thanks.  I went ahead and ordered.  I was more concerned about some imminent update that I wasn't aware of.  While I get that the Bifrost is updateable, it would be a big bummer for people who JUST purchased.  If an Uber USB is $520 and then a new update comes out that's $150, its likely that that update would be included in the same or similar price of a new unit vs. paying for the unit and the upgrade.

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #10,000 of 13,350
Well now that I'm probably not getting the Mjolnir due to the Liquid Carbon (damn them, taking my money from schiit) I'm at a loss as to how I'm going to have any kind of volume control to my speaker amp in the far future. Still, I'll be getting the Gungnir, so now the search is on for an amp/preamp with XLR out! 

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #10,001 of 13,350
  Thanks.  I went ahead and ordered.  I was more concerned about some imminent update that I wasn't aware of.  While I get that the Bifrost is updateable, it would be a big bummer for people who JUST purchased.  If an Uber USB is $520 and then a new update comes out that's $150, its likely that that update would be included in the same or similar price of a new unit vs. paying for the unit and the upgrade.

I doubt you'd be that disappointed, since it's not like a big update is going to be a substantial increase in sound quality. The Bifrost Uber USB is supposed to be a really good DAC anyway. :p

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #10,002 of 13,350
After much reading and being unable to decide i have decided.
I will be getting the Bifrost uber and a lyr 2 this fall.
Time to upgrade my 2 year old modi and asgard 2. ^^

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #10,004 of 13,350

I predict that Schiit would update the Gungnir first since Bifrost Uber is getting too close to its bigger brother. And Jason also mentioned that no updates will be done this year, so you still have at least a year before something shows up for the Bifrost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back