Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 16, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #9,978 of 13,350
  Thanks for your insights. I haven't heard other flagships, so I have no baseline comparison. But, I am opposed to spending more than $1k on headphones because I also like groceries, a roof, clothes, etc. 
biggrin.gif
 I'm happy with the sound, so I don't need temptations......

Pih!  All that schiit is overrated.  You need to join us on the Homeless Head-Fi March on D.C.  We're going to demand what we're entitled to:

Flagships For All!!!

wink.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #9,979 of 13,350
Pih!  All that schiit is overrated.  You need to join us on the [COLOR=0000CD]Homeless Head-Fi March on D.C.[/COLOR]  We're going to demand what we're entitled to:

[COLOR=FF0000]Flagships For All!!![/COLOR]

:wink:  

In with you Thurston if your assistant Rangy the Orangutan is our mascot! I think Rangy needs an HE-1000!

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #9,980 of 13,350
M/M2U was delivered today. I've only had time to spot listen some favorites. No A/B comparisons (old DAC/amp is Fiio 07K) - all I can say that there is more of everything: space, resolution, MUSIC, involvement.

Beatles' A Hard Days' Night always has had this hot mess with Ringo riding the cymbals. It sounds like the tape is getting oversaturated. With M/M and the Mono box version, it actually resolves into separate instruments. Awesome. The Please Please Me album (mono - still haven't gotten the stereo box) is always fun. A working rock'n'roll band running through their set. Now I get glimpses of the studio that I haven't heard in 40 years listening to this band.

On Coltrane's A Love Supreme McCoy Tyner's piano has always bothered me, it sounds like he's playing in a concrete hole in the studio. Now I hear what he's doing - still miked weirdly far away but it sounds like a piano, with a master player. And Coltrane whispers in my left ear and I *get* the emotion in his lines. Elvin Jones is crisp in my right ear. Wow. I just get pulled into the music.

Sibelius' 3rd Symphony (Berglund/Bournemouth) just breathes, beautiful.

Excuse me, I have to go put on some Joni Mitchell. And start plotting my HD 600/650 purchase, because now I can perceive that there is even more to be heard on these worn favorites. Damn.

(phones: HD 598)

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #9,981 of 13,350
M/M2U was delivered today. I've only had time to spot listen some favorites. No A/B comparisons (old DAC/amp is Fiio 07K) - all I can say that there is more of everything: space, resolution, MUSIC, involvement.

Beatles' A Hard Days' Night always has had this hot mess with Ringo riding the cymbals. It sounds like the tape is getting oversaturated. With M/M and the Mono box version, it actually resolves into separate instruments. Awesome. The Please Please Me album (mono - still haven't gotten the stereo box) is always fun. A working rock'n'roll band running through their set. Now I get glimpses of the studio that I haven't heard in 40 years listening to this band.

On Coltrane's A Love Supreme McCoy Tyner's piano has always bothered me, it sounds like he's playing in a concrete hole in the studio. Now I hear what he's doing - still miked weirdly far away but it sounds like a piano, with a master player. And Coltrane whispers in my left ear and I *get* the emotion in his lines. Elvin Jones is crisp in my right ear. Wow. I just get pulled into the music.

Sibelius' 3rd Symphony (Berglund/Bournemouth) just breathes, beautiful.

Excuse me, I have to go put on some Joni Mitchell. And start plotting my HD 600/650 purchase, because now I can perceive that there is even more to be heard on these worn favorites. Damn.

(phones: HD 598)

Thanks for sharing. THAT's what it's all about!

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #9,982 of 13,350
I promise not to gratuitously post on page 666 of the thread, bwa ha ha haaa. But this seems like the right spot for a cross-category Schiit product question. 

I have a USB DAC that may be experiencing some of the problems outlined in the Wyrd product documentation. But I'm also toying with the idea of foregoing USB altogether and getting a Modi Optical. Too cheap to take a $419 swing at an optical-only Bifrost, but that's tempting. My DAC is a v1.5 Meridian Explorer. Any opinion on whether the Modi Optical would perform about as well? Or might adding Wyrd be the ticket to clean up the dropouts and keep the Meridian performance (such as it is). Just thinking for the $100, why not just get the new DAC rather than a USB cleaner-upper. As you can see below I run an A2 and HE-500 downstream so going up to the Bifrost would be reasonable. And I have the latest MacBook that renders 192 kHz sample rates out of the optical port. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #9,983 of 13,350
I am a relatively new owner of the Mjolnir and Gugnir.  I have powered monitor speakers connected through the balanced pre-out jacks.   My headphones (Mr. Speaker Alpha Primes) are connected to the balanced XLR jack.   I was under the impression that when the headphones are plugged in, the speakers would mute automatically.  I was mistaken....the sound comes out of both!

Does this mean I have to disconnect the speakers or turn the power switches off whenever I want to listen to the headphones in order to prevent the speakers from playing at the same time?    

How can this be solved?

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #9,984 of 13,350
Pih!  All that schiit is overrated.  You need to join us on the [COLOR=0000CD]Homeless Head-Fi March on D.C.[/COLOR]  We're going to demand what we're entitled to:

[COLOR=FF0000]Flagships For All!!![/COLOR]

:wink:  

I am working on a custom grocery cart the will have a usb port, and a place for 3 car batteries, need something to run my rag and yiggy. :D
Hey a homeless Audiophile must have the basics covered lol. I wonder if I can get a portable generator that runs on moonshine .

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #9,985 of 13,350
I am working on a custom grocery cart the will have a usb port, and a place for 3 car batteries, need something to run my rag and yiggy.
biggrin.gif

Hey a homeless Audiophile must have the basics covered lol. I wonder if I can get a portable generator that runs on moonshine .

Go green, get solar panels and proper batteries.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #9,986 of 13,350
I am a relatively new owner of the Mjolnir and Gugnir.  I have powered monitor speakers connected through the balanced pre-out jacks.   My headphones (Mr. Speaker Alpha Primes) are connected to the balanced XLR jack.   I was under the impression that when the headphones are plugged in, the speakers would mute automatically.  I was mistaken....the sound comes out of both!

Does this mean I have to disconnect the speakers or turn the power switches off whenever I want to listen to the headphones in order to prevent the speakers from playing at the same time?    

How can this be solved?

Looks like you're gonna have to unplug the pre-amp outs if you just wanna listen to headphones. I did some looking on their site and in the manual but it says nothing about the pre-outs muting when a headphone is plugged in. So you'll just have to unplug whichever you don't want on.
Or turn off the speaker amp when listening to headphones. :p

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #9,987 of 13,350
Looks like you're gonna have to unplug the pre-amp outs if you just wanna listen to headphones. I did some looking on their site and in the manual but it says nothing about the pre-outs muting when a headphone is plugged in. So you'll just have to unplug whichever you don't want on.
Or turn off the speaker amp when listening to headphones.
tongue.gif

I believe this works for SE amps having 6.3mm TRS jacks, not balanced amps. When this works it is probably due to the internal switch contacts contacts in the 6.3 mm jack.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #9,988 of 13,350
  I am a relatively new owner of the Mjolnir and Gugnir.  I have powered monitor speakers connected through the balanced pre-out jacks.   My headphones (Mr. Speaker Alpha Primes) are connected to the balanced XLR jack.   I was under the impression that when the headphones are plugged in, the speakers would mute automatically. I was mistaken...the sound comes out of both!

Just as a possible suggestion. I have my monitors plugged into a powerstrip, which is itself plugged into a power director with switched outlets that sits within arm's reach of my computer chair. In this way, I can leave the sub and monitors switched on on their backs and give them power or take it away at the press of one button. Just another option for you to consider.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #9,989 of 13,350
Does anyone use another brand of amp and dac other then Schiit?
I'm wanting to get more into audio,
By both sterio and headphone

But, Schiit really spelled it out (in a blog I read, or if it's in their site) that,
Between manufacturers and retailers -your paying allot, and Schiit has great quality for less, so,
As far as exploring audio,

What ELS is good?

Schiit is great!!!!

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #9,990 of 13,350

How can this be solved?

I don't yet have it- but the PDF manual addresses this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back