Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 10, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #9,886 of 13,350

Where do ya think I could get an A/B switcherooni for nothing but spare change? 

I bought some switches, jacks and a metal box. Drilled some holes and fired up my soldering iron. Maybe you can find something on Amazon.
Due to the way us humans function you have 4 seconds to do the switch and listen for differences.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #9,888 of 13,350
  I'm actually looking at switches, jacks and connectors for that exact purpose right now. Got a cart going over at Mouser.

I use a DPDT switch with a center off position so that the person throwing the switch can go back to where it was to trick the listener.
You might want to add some banana jacks so you can use a meter to measure levels.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #9,889 of 13,350
  I use a DPDT switch with a center off position so that the person throwing the switch can go back to where it was to trick the listener.
You might want to add some banana jacks so you can use a meter to measure levels.

Both great ideas that I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

I was going for two coax inputs connected to a DPDT, but I had selected an ON-ON switch. The idea to use the ON-OFF-ON switch instead is a really good one, for the reason you mentioned.

It'll also have three 1/4" jacks so I can quickly switch the output side, of course. Two for input from the amps, one for output to the headphones. So, the person operating the A/B rig will have to throw two switches, but I still think this is a better option than unplugging and re-plugging when considering our sketchy short-term sound memory.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #9,890 of 13,350

Both great ideas that I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

I was going for two coax inputs connected to a DPDT, but I had selected an ON-ON switch. The idea to use the ON-OFF-ON switch instead is a really good one, for the reason you mentioned.

It'll also have three 1/4" jacks so I can quickly switch the output side, of course. Two for input from the amps, one for output to the headphones. So, the person operating the A/B rig will have to throw two switches, but I still think this is a better option than unplugging and re-plugging when considering our sketchy short-term sound memory.

I put 1/4" and 1/8" jacks in parallel so I could test without adapters, You can always do that later if you leave room, plan ahead.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #9,891 of 13,350
  I bought some switches, jacks and a metal box. Drilled some holes and fired up my soldering iron. Maybe you can find something on Amazon.
Due to the way us humans function you have 4 seconds to do the switch and listen for differences.

I think I've got a soldering iron, but probably no solder. And I really don't have any usable bits lying around, so I'll have to see if there's an electronics store somewhere around here.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #9,892 of 13,350
  I think I've got a soldering iron, but probably no solder. And I really don't have any usable bits lying around, so I'll have to see if there's an electronics store somewhere around here.

Visit a Radio Shack while they're still open for business, They've got solder,

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #9,893 of 13,350
I've had a Wyrd kicking around for about a week debating wether or not to use it with my Gungnir. I finally broke down tonight and put it in, I'm uncomfortable with the change it made to the sound quality.

I also decided after that to use my Gungnir with XLR - RCA cables I made which leave the return floating (pin 3). They are a lot better than the summed single ended outputs.

I need to get a Ragnarok or Mjolnir asap I think.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #9,894 of 13,350
I've had a Wyrd kicking around for about a week debating wether or not to use it with my Gungnir. I finally broke down tonight and put it in, I'm uncomfortable with the change it made to the sound quality.

I also decided after that to use my Gungnir with XLR - RCA cables I made which leave the return floating (pin 3). They are a lot better than the summed single ended outputs.

I need to get a Ragnarok or Mjolnir asap I think.

Hah hah! I hear you. I've got XLR out to my Rane DEQ 60L (balanced only) then XLR out to what was supposed to be Mjolnir- but Amazon sent Lyr. So I got a transformer to convert to unbalanced RCA...
Rag order placed last month...

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #9,895 of 13,350
Hah hah! I hear you. I've got XLR out to my Rane DEQ 60L (balanced only) then XLR out to what was supposed to be Mjolnir- but Amazon sent Lyr. So I got a transformer to convert to unbalanced RCA...
Rag order placed last month...

I don't even have a clue how Amazon screwed up that listing so bad, I saw a few people get caught up in that mess.

I've thought about using transformer converters versus just floating the return path, part of me says that not using the transformer is better, the other part of me says I should use a resistor equal to my amps input impedance to balance the signal properly between inphase and return.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #9,896 of 13,350

I don't even have a clue how Amazon screwed up that listing so bad, I saw a few people get caught up in that mess.

I've thought about using transformer converters versus just floating the return path, part of me says that not using the transformer is better, the other part of me says I should use a resistor equal to my amps input impedance to balance the signal properly between inphase and return.

Once I got the Lyr-with some tubes from Rb- I quite liked it! I ordered the Ragnarok- and decided I'd keep the Lyr and use it in the bedroom. Of course the wait for the Ragnarok is long…. 
It sounds like you know what you are doing with the balanced lines. Easier for me to use the transformer.:) I am using an ART "Clean Pro" transformer- I can say it causes a noticeable roll off in the treble. But since I've a pro EQ I can compensate. Otherwise it works remarkably well It's not ideal. Another forum member is using the same EQ and recommended a Jensen transformer as better SQ. 
Actually-strike that treble roll off-I think it might have been the Ancient wimpy RCA cables from an Ancient VCR that was affecting the sound. Since replaced with quality insulated cables from Blue Jeans Cables. I recall being surprised  that the difference was so noticeable.
I'll have to re-evaluate the effect of the Transformer by comparing direct RCA out from my Oppo into the Lyr-and through the signal chain with EQ (in bypass) with the transformer.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #9,898 of 13,350
You're aware of the existence of the Schiit SYS, right?

Afaik you can use this to switch between multiple sources as well...

http://schiit.com/products/sys

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #9,900 of 13,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back