Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #9,736 of 13,350
I also have The Fiio e12 and I love it, especially with the Fiio x5 but my Schiit Magni is a big step ahead of the e12 when it comes to sound quality with the  HD 650. My Lyr. is a whole flight of stairs ahead of the e12 so my guess is the Asgard would be a significant improvement over the e12. 

+1 Well said, I have all 3 amps and the lyr2 and Asgard 2 sound much better than the Fiio E12. However one would expect desktop amps to sound better than a portable amp.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #9,738 of 13,350
Very true. I'm traveling with Fiio e12/x5/combo and ATH-M50x headphones this week and the sound is amazing for a portable rig.

Quite an overkill setup for the M50x haha but great setup nonetheless!

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #9,739 of 13,350
How do the Lyr2 and Asgard2 compare to the Ragnarok (I think you have one unless my wires are crossed!)[
quote name="reddog" url="/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite/9735#post_11465361"]
+1 Well said, I have all 3 amps and the lyr2 and Asgard 2 sound much better than the Fiio E12. However one would expect desktop amps to sound better than a portable amp.[/quote]

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #9,740 of 13,350
How do the Lyr2 and Asgard2 compare to the Ragnarok (I think you have one unless my wires are crossed!)

And, it would also be interesting to know how the Magni2/2U compares to the Asgard2 and the others!

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #9,741 of 13,350
And, it would also be interesting to know how the Magni2/2U compares to the Asgard2 and the others!

Choosing between the various Schiit amps is really one of personal preference, There is some consensus among those of us that own several of the Schiit models that sonic performance is extremely close from one to another. The differences lie in topology, features, size, and ergonomics.

Comparing the Magni to the Rag is really talking apples and oranges. Depending on your needs / wants and expectations either could be the perfect match for you. Or not.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #9,743 of 13,350
Choosing between the various Schiit amps is really one of personal preference, There is some consensus among those of us that own several of the Schiit models that sonic performance is extremely close from one to another. The differences lie in topology, features, size, and ergonomics.

Great info, thanks. Then I won't fret too much over the fact that my budget didn't allow me to go further than the M&M 2U currently. I'm very satisfied with them though, great Schiit that is.

Next in my sights is the Bifrost Uber USB + Valhalla 2 stack, because besides of the (albeit small, but still) sonic upgrade it also 1) looks really cool and 2) it's got them tubes :D

Anyway, that won't be until by budget has recovered enough after the M&Ms (plus the customs- and import charges; Those were equivalent of another Magni2U! :xf_eek: )

(edit: some spelling corrected)

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #9,745 of 13,350
How do the Lyr2 and Asgard2 compare to the Ragnarok (I think you have one unless my wires are crossed!)[
quote name="reddog" url="/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite/9735#post_11465361"]
+1 Well said, I have all 3 amps and the lyr2 and Asgard 2 sound much better than the Fiio E12. However one would expect desktop amps to sound better than a portable amp.
[/quote]
The Ragnarok is just fantastic in balanced out, however the lyr2 single-ended out put is far better than the Ragnarok. The single end out of the Rag, is a little better than the Asgard 2. I mostly use the Ragnarok for balanced out and I have not used it to run speakers. Please have a good one jamming out.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #9,746 of 13,350
The Ragnarok is just fantastic in balanced out, however the lyr2 single-ended out put is far better than the Ragnarok. The single end out of the Rag, is a little better than the Asgard 2. I mostly use the Ragnarok for balanced out and I have not used it to run speakers. Please have a good one jamming out.

Guess I'll have to pick up a Lyr 2 if I ever get single ended headphones that I'm not willing to cut open.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #9,747 of 13,350
Guess I'll have to pick up a Lyr 2 if I ever get single ended headphones that I'm not willing to cut open.

Cool, I need to lear how to rewire my DT 880 600 ohm cans for balanced operation. I use my Asgard 2 and Lyr2 at secondary listening stations. I primarily use the rag , in balanced mode to drive my Alpha Prime's. :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #9,748 of 13,350

I apologize. Yes the Asgard 2. Thanks for replying.

The E12 is good but the Asgard 2 would be an upgrade in all aspects except in portability. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #9,749 of 13,350
Cool, I need to lear how to rewire my DT 880 600 ohm cans for balanced operation. I use my Asgard 2 and Lyr2 at secondary listening stations. I primarily use the rag , in balanced mode to drive my Alpha Prime's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Rewiring my T70's was a trying experience, I also added a connector which meant more than just adding new wires. In the end you get a nice balanced setup.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #9,750 of 13,350
 My first foray into this hobby started with the AKG K7XX drop, and that lead me here to this forum. Since then I've been lost in research, asking questions, and searching for better music sources. I've gone back and forth a few times, but if all goes well, tomorrow I'll join the club and receive a load of Schiit. I've got a Modi 2, and an Asgard 2 coming in and I'm pretty excited. 

I've never heard their products yet, but if even half the reviews are accurate I should be very satisfied. I was very impressed with their customer service. I had read some criticism of the responses people have gotten as brief, and admittedly they were. But they were complete, and to the point. What blew me away was not that when I emailed them with a question, I had a response in less than 5 minutes. Pretty impressive in it's own right, but that wasn't it. It was that it was two minutes to midnight on a Sunday when I had sent the email. When I finally got my order in, I had a confirmation and shipment notification in a couple hours. From order to doorstep will have been less than three days, which isn't bad at all. (I'm sure that varies by location, but I'm luckily only a state away). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back