Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #8,822 of 13,350
  I wonder why the manufacturer decided on that name, they should have named the individual products things like pfiss, chrap etc.

You can read about the background and history of the company here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up

Their line of cables is actually called PYST. The Wyrd originally had Decrapifier in the name.

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #8,823 of 13,350
They might have a light-hearted view of themselves but they do build some serious Schiit.
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #8,824 of 13,350
*Newby asking a Noobie Question*

I'm planning on buying the Modi 2/Magni 2 stack soon in the middle of the year so I started to look and videos and forum talks about them like peoples rigs and stuff. What I'm wondering is can you plug these amps/dacs on other things besides computers? I've seen rig pics with people in speakers and stereo systems plugged in and thats when I was wondering do people only use these amps/dacs for the computer.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #8,825 of 13,350

I'm planning on buying the Modi 2/Magni 2 stack soon in the middle of the year so I started to look and videos and forum talks about them like peoples rigs and stuff. What I'm wondering is can you plug these amps/dacs on other things besides computers? I've seen rig pics with people in speakers and stereo systems plugged in and thats when I was wondering do people only use these amps/dacs for the computer.

The Uber versions have more inputs and outputs. Read the info on their website for full details.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #8,826 of 13,350

I run them from my Galaxy Note 3 smartphone and Android tablets using an OTG cable as well as an iPod Touch 5G using the CCK cable.
If you get a Modi 2 Uber and a good Bluetooth AptX to optical converter you can then connect by Bluetooth. If your source supports AptX, that's a plus.
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Blackberry-Smartphones-Connections-BR51/dp/B00EVYJ4VC

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #8,827 of 13,350

If you get a DAC that has more than 1 input that's not USB like the Modi 2 uber/bifrost you could technically run other devices through it like a cd player/dvd/bluray etc etc. Amps you can pretty much hook up to anything.

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #8,828 of 13,350
Thinking of getting the Magni/Modi stack for my Q701s.
I also have a set of Edifier R1600T Plus and was wondering if I can connect it to the stack?
Would I have to keep switching the plugs on the Magni to switch from headphone to speakers?
Also, would the Magni override/improve/worsen the built in amp of the R1600Ts?

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #8,829 of 13,350
I also have a set of Edifier R1600T Plus and was wondering if I can connect it to the stack?
Would I have to keep switching the plugs on the Magni to switch from headphone to speakers?

Thanks.

getting the magni 2 uber might solve your concerns, as it has pre out

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #8,830 of 13,350

Thanks.

Via its preamp outputs, the Magni 2 Uber can connect to active speakers as well as speaker amps. (The other Magnis have no such capability.)

Magni 2 Uber also automatically disconnects the preamp outputs when you plug headphones in.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #8,831 of 13,350
getting the magni 2 uber might solve your concerns, as it has pre out

Via its preamp outputs, the Magni 2 Uber can connect to active speakers as well as speaker amps. (The other Magnis have no such capability.)

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately I have a strict budget of £150 for both and a vali would take up most of it.
I'm also looking to buy used to fit both in the budget.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #8,832 of 13,350
Hello, I hope I am on the right page here but here goes... I am considering the Schiit Magni 2 and the Vali.  I am kind of new to HIFI audio and my interest was sparked by my dad(never listens to music...) giving me a pair of Bose QC2 cans.  At the time they were the best I had ever heard.  I also had a pair of Beats in ear that came with my old HTC Thunderbolt(got verizon to give me a pair to close the deal moving over to a smartphone years ago).  Anyway, I now have some sennheiser Momentum's and am trying to get a pair of AT m50x as well.  I use my PC for home listening, here are the specs- Soundblaster Z----> Denon avr-1705------>Headphones.
I was wondering how much of an improvement would I get by adding one of the 2 amps listed above and also weather I should go with the Magni 2 or Vali.  I know tubes take a while to warm up and have that kind of hissing noise(at least my Vox guitar amp does) and SS amps dont.  I do love the sound of my Vox amp though as it has that "Tube" sound.  Then again, a few people have told me not to get a tube amp because of the music I listen to.  NIN, Tool, Metallica, Blind Melon, Smashing Pumpkins, pretty much alternative, rock and metal from the mid 80's to the late 90's.  Also some new wave and Techno etc...  A friend let me try his out with some really crappy headphones and even they sounded great on that amp.  Will it have as much impact on the sound with better headphones?  Thanks for reading and enduring my post.  As I said, I am new to all this.  Thanks for any replies and answers.  T

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #8,833 of 13,350
  Hello, I hope I am on the right page here but here goes... I am considering the Schiit Magni 2 and the Vali.  I am kind of new to HIFI audio and my interest was sparked by my dad(never listens to music...) giving me a pair of Bose QC2 cans.  At the time they were the best I had ever heard.  I also had a pair of Beats in ear that came with my old HTC Thunderbolt(got verizon to give me a pair to close the deal moving over to a smartphone years ago).  Anyway, I now have some sennheiser Momentum's and am trying to get a pair of AT m50x as well.  I use my PC for home listening, here are the specs- Soundblaster Z----> Denon avr-1705------>Headphones.
I was wondering how much of an improvement would I get by adding one of the 2 amps listed above and also weather I should go with the Magni 2 or Vali.  I know tubes take a while to warm up and have that kind of hissing noise(at least my Vox guitar amp does) and SS amps dont.  I do love the sound of my Vox amp though as it has that "Tube" sound.  Then again, a few people have told me not to get a tube amp because of the music I listen to.  NIN, Tool, Metallica, Blind Melon, Smashing Pumpkins, pretty much alternative, rock and metal from the mid 80's to the late 90's.  Also some new wave and Techno etc...  A friend let me try his out with some really crappy headphones and even they sounded great on that amp.  Will it have as much impact on the sound with better headphones?  Thanks for reading and enduring my post.  As I said, I am new to all this.  Thanks for any replies and answers.  T

The Bose QC2 has internal electronics including an Amp, so I doubt that an amp is going to help much  since they are sensitive and are easy to drive you shouldn't really need an amp. I have QC15's for when traveling. The Momentums are easy to drive as well and are made with portable devices in mind.
The requirements for a guitar amp are far different from an audiophile amp so that's not a suitable means of comparison as one is usually looking for more distortion in a guitar amp, as in soft clipping for tubes, etc.
I would save up for better headphones and work my way up the electronics chain afterwards. Between the two Schiit amps, I prefer the Magni 2 as I'm in the SS camp. I have both a Magni 1 and a Vali in my amp collection.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #8,834 of 13,350
Do you primarily listen to MP3's, CD's or ripped losses files? 

Most of the tube headphone amps I've used haven't had hiss in the background unless I was using extremely easy to drive headphones or IEM's. Keep in mind that the best amp in the world can only sound as good as the source signal it's being feed, so if you're using lower quality MP3's, or your source component isn't up to par you may find yourself a bit disappointed with even a great headphone amp. The Magni 2 is a Hell of a bargain and near impossible to beat at its price point, so if you're wanting to give a headphone amp a try that or the Vali would be a great place to start. You could always add the Modi 2 (USB DAC) down the line having it fed via USB from your PC (no sound card needed) and for $198 end up with a great DAC/headphone amp setup.

I should also say that this will no doubt make you feel the need to then upgrade your headphones...unless you're able to simply be happy with a nice, inexpensive setup and then get back to enjoying your music. Never forget that it should be about enjoying music...not collecting audio gear. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #8,835 of 13,350
dont worry abt amps until you have a pair of headphones with a high impedance, over 100 ohms, or planar magnetic headphones, or an open pair of headphones designed for home usage. i have personally found that the sonic improvements of amping closed portable headphones to be minimal compared to their cost and your money wld go further into nicer headphones.

edit: a lot of times, the louder volume when used with an amp sounds better because we naturally hear louder as better, but once the volume gets adjusted, you find there really is no difference. just keep that volume bias in mind when trying out stuff. :) hope this was helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back