Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 10, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #8,731 of 13,350
Hi
Received my Modi/Vali combo today. Do I need to leave the vali on for a while to break it in? I figured I would leave it running to break in my new headphones.
Thanks for any info.

Howard

I would leave it on for a day or so it let the tubes burn in a bit. There was a pretty considerable change in sound quality on my Vali (since sold) in the first few days of use.

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #8,732 of 13,350
I need some input. I received my modi/vali combo today. I ordered a pair of philips x1 and a pair of hd600.I figured I would try the x1 first since I bought them from Amazon and have easy returns. They seem a little flabby in the bass and rolled off.The dealer I purchased the hd600 has no return policy.I'm trying to figure if it's the headphones or the amp? I'm over sixty years old so I figure I've got some high frequency loss.
Sorry to be so long winded.
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Feb 10, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #8,733 of 13,350
  For those that believe in breaking in then yes, it'll be no different than listening to them the whatever many hours it'd take.

I would leave it on for a day or so it let the tubes burn in a bit. There was a pretty considerable change in sound quality on my Vali (since sold) in the first few days of use.

Make sure you listen to the pair while 'burning in' so that your ears can get used to the sound because that's what is going to change, your ears.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #8,734 of 13,350
Can anyone explain what it is between DACs that cause such a dramatic change in details? I just upgraded to a Bifrost to use with my Asgard 2 coming from the Modi 1. The change was near night and day. The details are so much more pronounced I guess you could say? Keeps making me love these HD 598 cans since I constantly am surprised at what they can do with new gear.

Is it just the sound chip in it or something? I'm not great with this stuff, I just know what sounds good and what I like lol.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #8,735 of 13,350
  I need some input. I received my modi/vali combo today. I ordered a pair of philips x1 and a pair of hd600.I figured I would try the x1 first since I bought them from Amazon and have easy returns. They seem a little flabby in the bass and rolled off.The dealer I purchased the hd600 has no return policy.I'm trying to figure if it's the headphones or the amp? I'm over sixty years old so I figure I've got some high frequency loss.
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Are you saying both headphones sounded flabby and rolled off?  or just the Phillips?
what's your music source?

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #8,737 of 13,350
Thanks for any input.

Howard

Some reviewers say the X1 is a bit bass heavy. Is that what you mean by flabby?  Have you tried them with several types of music. As to rolled off highs the same reviewer described them as lively. Here is a link.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

As to your hearing loss, join the club. I'm 65 but still rockin'.

Edit: I should have the X2s by Friday. I'll be driving them with the Modi/Vali stack as well as other Schiit.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #8,739 of 13,350

Please post your impressions on the X2 with the Modi/Vali.  I'm on the fence about what I want, the X2 or to wait on the ATH-R70X.

You bet I will.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #8,740 of 13,350
  Hi Bill
I haven't tried the  hd600 yet. I'm trying to come some to amp conclusions before opening the Sennheisers.

You can actually wait to open the box! Not me. You may the only one on head-fi with impulse control.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #8,743 of 13,350
  So with all Schiit they do not have an on/off button on the front? So you have to either leave them switched on at all times or reach around the back?

Or get a power strip with a switch, or get a plug adapters with a remote control or just reach around the back.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #8,744 of 13,350
I don't recall posting here yet about a 'new' Schiit Vali I'd gotten quite recently. This is the second time I've Schiitted, I have a Lyr 1 as well. I'll be using the Vali + Fostex HPA4 stack for my 3rd rig, only snag is the Fostex is black, oh well, can't have everything my way. I'm undecided as to what DAC to get for the Lyr, but I'm leaning towards the iDSD Nano. Could really tell from pics, even though the headphone input jack kind of gave it some scale, but the Vali's pretty small, looks almost like a toy.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #8,745 of 13,350
  Or get a power strip with a switch, or get a plug adapters with a remote control or just reach around the back.

Don't they go into standby mode or anything like that?  Whats a plug adapter with remote control?

Its a weird design choice.... I was looking at trying out the Bifrost + an amp... But no power switches or remote control is inconvenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back