Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 1, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #8,656 of 13,350
Update: 
I don't know what happened. 
I was tiding some wires in the back of the computer; ended up swaping usb cables, and usb ports with the modi, and now I have 24/96. 

Guess everthing's cool now lol :) 
Any way, thanks for all the input.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #8,657 of 13,350
  I don't think the Modi 1 has the Expert mode switch that can take advantage of the drivers, thus the Modi 1 has a limited range of rates and resolutions.

i'm still learning so feel free to correct me if any of my assessment is far from the mark.

During my search of auditioning the hd650, i happened to listen to them through WA7 and WA3. That adds my amp listening experience to those and my magni 2 uber. And fiio e10k and fiio 07k in the past. I have to agree with what StanD said to my own questions in the past few weeks regarding desktop amps in relation to increased in sound quality and headphone driveability.

I have to say that after listening to WA7, that a properly designed solid state amp will be able to provide both current and voltage to many headphones. What i mean by it is that in relation to sound, most headphones will  sound optimum with a good designed solid state amp. While specific amp that i tried, like the WA3 OTL tube provide their own specific coloration to the sound.
That said, barring planar headphones, i would say that most dynamic driver headphones will be drivable by a properly designed amp, regardless of it's price.

For my own case...
if I were to buy a lyr 2, i'd buy it if i have a planar headphone that needs it.
if I were to buy a valhalla 2, i'd buy it if i have a high-impedance headphone to pair with it.
if i were to buy an asgard 2, i'd buy it to get a more refined sound quality.

However, I have to say that for most people that are new to amps and dacs, and visit schiit thread with questions in mind regarding what kind of sound quality to expect when pairing their headphones with amps, and what amps to choose, you won't miss that much by not getting a $xxx amps.
If you have limited budget or space, you aren't missing much with choosing magni 2 uber or asgard 2 in comparison to other solid state amps offering.

In fact, i learn that the assessment of older members here are correct in that magni 2 uber has tremendous value. For $149 you get a good solid state amps that won't lagged far behind other solid state amps (portable or desktop) that is triple or quadruple it's price.

I myself was playing with the idea of getting an asgard 2. (only decided against that due to space limitation).
Magni 2 uber reproduction of treble is crisp but a little less refined. Based on my own readings i know for sure that Asgard 2 provide smoother sound to the music overall.

That's mostly what you get from the extra $100 from the asgard 2 vs. the magni 2 uber. For experienced audiophiles and people that also have a decent-to-high-end speaker system on their home and cars, i'm pretty sure there's some arguably noticeable difference between magni 2 uber, asgard 2, and say, WA7 Fireflies.

But for confused new people that doesn't even know the difference between one amps to another, here's the gist of my experience...
if i have more money and space, and my headphones are dynamic driver headphones, i get an asgard 2.
if i have less money and / or space, i'll get a magni 2 uber.
if i have planar headphones, i'll get a lyr 2.
if you have a high-impedance headphones that likes specific OTL tube amps, you could get popular OTL tube amps. Common recommendations includes WA3, BH Crack, and Valhalla 2.

You won't miss much from not getting an asgard 2. In fact, for $149 you get a lot out of what asgard 2 is giving you for the extra $100 asgard 2 ask.

Tube amps to dynamic driver headphones I found is more about the enjoyment of the hobby (and what is commonly called synergy).
As in it provides specific coloration to sounds. Subjectively, the music sounds better. Yet it doesn't make the headphone sounds worse if you pair it with a meagre $149 amps. In fact, with $149 or $249, it could be the last amp you'll ever need if you aren't into the hobby and just want a decent system to enjoy music.

I might be wrong but i consider Audiophile is a hobby, while music-lover is universal.
A music-lover will benefits from having a decent setup so that the music will sound proper.

In that sense, a decent dynamic headphone with a schiit uber stack is as decent as it gets for as little money as possible.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #8,658 of 13,350

i'm still learning so feel free to correct me if any of my assessment is far from the mark.

During my search of auditioning the hd650, i happened to listen to them through WA7 and WA3. That adds my amp listening experience to those and my magni 2 uber. And fiio e10k and fiio 07k in the past. I have to agree with what StanD said to my own questions in the past few weeks regarding desktop amps in relation to increased in sound quality and headphone driveability.

I have to say that after listening to WA7, that a properly designed solid state amp will be able to provide both current and voltage to many headphones. What i mean by it is that in relation to sound, most headphones will  sound optimum with a good designed solid state amp. While specific amp that i tried, like the WA3 OTL tube provide their own specific coloration to the sound.
That said, barring planar headphones, i would say that most dynamic driver headphones will be drivable by a properly designed amp, regardless of it's price.

For my own case...
if I were to buy a lyr 2, i'd buy it if i have a planar headphone that needs it.
if I were to buy a valhalla 2, i'd buy it if i have a high-impedance headphone to pair with it.
if i were to buy an asgard 2, i'd buy it to get a more refined sound quality.

However, I have to say that for most people that are new to amps and dacs, and visit schiit thread with questions in mind regarding what kind of sound quality to expect when pairing their headphones with amps, and what amps to choose, if you have limited budget or space, you aren't missing much with choosing magni 2 uber or asgard 2 in comparison to other solid state amps offering.

In fact, i learn that the assessment of older members here are correct in that magni 2 uber has tremendous value. For $149 you get a good solid state amps that won't lagged far behind other solid state amps (portable or desktop) that is triple or quadruple it's price.

I myself was playing with the idea of getting an asgard 2. (only decided against that due to space limitation).
Magni 2 uber reproduction of treble is crisp but a little less refined. Based on my own readings i know for sure that Asgard 2 provide smoother sound to the music overall.

That's mostly what you get from the extra $100 from the asgard 2 vs. the magni 2 uber. For experienced audiophiles and people that also have a decent-to-high-end speaker system on their home and cars, i'm pretty sure there's some arguably noticeable difference between magni 2 uber, asgard 2, and say, WA7 Fireflies.

But for confused new people that doesn't even know the difference between one amps to another, here's the gist of my experience...
if i have more money and space, and my headphones are dynamic driver headphones, i get an asgard 2.
if i have less money and / or space, i'll get a magni 2 uber.
if i have planar headphones, i'll get a lyr 2.
if you have a high-impedance headphones that likes specific OTL tube amps, you could get popular OTL tube amps. Common recommendations includes WA3, BH Crack, and Valhalla 2.

You won't miss much from not getting an asgard 2. In fact, for $149 you get a lot out of what asgard 2 is giving you for the extra $100 asgard 2 ask.

Tube amps to dynamic driver headphones I found is more about the enjoyment of the hobby (and what is commonly called synergy).
As in it provides specific coloration to sounds. Subjectively, the music sounds better. Yet it doesn't make the headphone sounds worse if you pair it with a meagre $149 amps. In fact, with $149 or $249, it could be the last amp you'll ever need if you aren't into the hobby and just want a decent system to enjoy music.

I might be wrong but i consider Audiophile is a hobby, while music-lover is universal.
A music-lover will benefits from having a decent setup so that the music will sound proper.

In that sense, a decent dynamic headphone with a schiit uber stack is as decent as it gets for as little money as possible.

I think that pretty much sums it up. 
L3000.gif

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #8,659 of 13,350
  I think that pretty much sums it up. 
L3000.gif

i know that i won't be able to reliably tell magni 2 uber and asgard 2 in a blind test. Yet i also know that asgard 2 is smoother in trebles area than magni 2 uber.

I know that the extra $100 gives me smoother sound, and hence, better experience from listening to the music. I want it. That line is what differentiate between the hobby and the music. I would get an asgard 2 if only my desk is not so small.

Though for example, i'm considering giving my parent a schiit stacks plus some light, comfortable headphones. I know from experience that they can tell apart a $20 xxx headphone with my existing headphones.
Yet i'm sure as hell my mom and my sister would not be able to differentiate or appreciate the difference between a $149 magni 2 uber and a WA7 Fireflies, let alone an Asgard.

Most people would benefit from the modi (and magni) compared to the noise and hisses many cheap laptop makes.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #8,660 of 13,350
My only gripe with the current mini-stack components, especially the uber is that they don't have the necessary mass to keep from scooting around a desk when being plugged/unplugged or fondled. 

Even the mid-stack equipment is subject to driving, The large-stack isn't a problem, the ultra-stack is a no brainer.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #8,661 of 13,350
  My only gripe with the current mini-stack components, especially the uber is that they don't have the necessary mass to keep from scooting around a desk when being plugged/unplugged or fondled. 

Even the mid-stack equipment is subject to driving, The large-stack isn't a problem, the ultra-stack is a no brainer.

Try a product called Quakehold. Sold on Amazon.

Feb 1, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #8,662 of 13,350
"I myself was playing with the idea of getting an asgard 2. (only decided against that due to space limitation).
Magni 2 uber reproduction of treble is crisp but a little less refined. Based on my own readings i know for sure that Asgard 2 provide smoother sound to the music overall."

Since you haven't listened to an Asgard 2, you don't "know for sure" how it sounds. You make some decent points but it's not useful to tell others about the sound and value proposition of something you have no experience with.

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #8,665 of 13,350
"I myself was playing with the idea of getting an asgard 2. (only decided against that due to space limitation).
Magni 2 uber reproduction of treble is crisp but a little less refined. Based on my own readings i know for sure that Asgard 2 provide smoother sound to the music overall."

Since you haven't listened to an Asgard 2, you don't "know for sure" how it sounds. You make some decent points but it's not useful to tell others about the sound and value proposition of something you have no experience with.

that is true.

I do know (sort of) how Asgard 1 sounds like. I listen to what this store called "a secondhand semi-broken asgard 1" back when i was buying my shure940. less than a year ago but more than six months ago. The seller never told me what's not working properly from the asgard 1, even after i ask. Sound-wise it sounds normal.
My comparison from that time and now listening to the magni 2 uber at home is that it doesn't differ that much. Not in a way that my families or girlfriend will appreciate.
It's smoother in the treble area, while magni 2 uber is a little harsh.

I always discount the experience and also didn't put that in the initial post because the asgard is not working properly. Sound-wise i couldn't tell if there's anything wrong with it. When i got the magni 2 uber, i read this thread comparing magni to asgard, www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

And I agree with blind test, I don't think i'll be able to tell the difference between the two more than half of the times. But hey! That's what makes this a hobby. And that's what makes people an audiophile.

So no, I haven't heard Asgard 2. The asgard 1 i've heard is not a reliable reference stick due to the store's own admission of the unit's condition.
I still stand by my word that buying an asgard 2 (or other brand's amp that cost even more, like the WA7 Fireflies) is getting into the hobby territory. It's an audiophile thing.
While average music-lover that's not an audiophile, would benefit immensely with having a decent DAC (and amp), like schiit mini-stack, or their mini-uber stack.

-----
ps:: (*you probably see my post on the hd650 thread, looking for advice between 650/600. My girlfriend was actually with me for the first 30 minutes out of the 4 hours auditioning the hd650 (+AD), plugged into WA7 and WA3. When i listened to one, she listened to the other. On the way back home she said, there's no difference between my magni 2 uber and the WA7 fireflies plugged into the alpha dogs.)

she said "Is that Fireflies amp like, the Hermes of amplifiers or something? And your small amp is a cheap brand? Are you buying the brand? How does that cost $1200? Doesn't sound that much different with your amp at home"

In fairness she also said there's no difference between any of my headphones sound-wise, "well it's better than my logitech" said she. She usually listen to whichever i'm not using on her laptop with my fiio e10k, and seemingly has no preference on the headphone. She likes music enough to appreciate a good headphones and the absence of hiss from cheap laptop with external dac. But not a hobbyist that bothers to find the difference between my sr80e and my dt880.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #8,666 of 13,350

that is true.

I do know (sort of) how Asgard 1 sounds like. I listen to what this store called "a secondhand semi-broken asgard 1" back when i was buying my shure940. less than a year ago but more than six months ago. The seller never told me what's not working properly from the asgard 1, even after i ask. Sound-wise it sounds normal.
My comparison from that time and now listening to the magni 2 uber at home is that it doesn't differ that much. Not in a way that my families or girlfriend will appreciate.
It's smoother in the treble area, while magni 2 uber is a little harsh.

I always discount the experience and also didn't put that in the initial post because the asgard is not working properly. Sound-wise i couldn't tell if there's anything wrong with it. When i got the magni 2 uber, i read this thread comparing magni to asgard, www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard

And I agree with blind test, I don't think i'll be able to tell the difference between the two more than half of the times. But hey! That's what makes this a hobby. And that's what makes people an audiophile.

So no, I haven't heard Asgard 2. The asgard 1 i've heard is not a reliable reference stick due to the store's own admission of the unit's condition.
I still stand by my word that buying an asgard 2 (or other brand's amp that cost even more, like the WA7 Fireflies) is getting into the hobby territory. It's an audiophile thing.
While average music-lover that's not an audiophile, would benefit immensely with having a decent DAC (and amp), like schiit mini-stack, or their mini-uber stack.

-----
ps:: (*you probably see my post on the hd650 thread, looking for advice between 650/600. My girlfriend was actually with me for the first 30 minutes out of the 4 hours auditioning the hd650 (+AD), plugged into WA7 and WA3. When i listened to one, she listened to the other. On the way back home she said, there's no difference between my magni 2 uber and the WA7 fireflies plugged into the alpha dogs.)

she said "Is that Fireflies amp like, the Hermes of amplifiers or something? And your small amp is a cheap brand? Are you buying the brand? How does that cost $1200? Doesn't sound that much different with your amp at home"

In fairness she also said there's no difference between any of my headphones sound-wise, "well it's better than my logitech" said she. She usually listen to whichever i'm not using on her laptop with my fiio e10k, and seemingly has no preference on the headphone. She likes music enough to appreciate a good headphones and the absence of hiss from cheap laptop with external dac. But not a hobbyist that bothers to find the difference between my sr80e and my dt880.

Perhaps she's smarter than all of us.
By the way, our ability to remember the fine details of audio for comparitive purposes is very short term and we are very easily fooled by ourselves. More than six months ago (Asgard 1) far exceeds our human limitations, I'd keep very short as "Echoic Memory" lasts for a few seconds.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #8,667 of 13,350
No offense intended, but I have to agree with StanD, it can be very difficult at times to try and compare two components by switching back and forth between them. Regardless, I have no doubt that the Magni 2 Uber is a very fine sounding amp given Schiit Audio's track record and it has more than enough power to drive most headphones. I still have an original Lyr that I sometimes use with my planar headphones yet my main and favorite headphone/single source preamp is the Asgard 2. I'd hate to see Schiit raise the price on the Asgard 2 yet if it cost twice as much I think it would be taken more seriously by the audiophile community and press, which is a shame. My hats off to Schiit as you really can't go wrong with most any of their gear...if that sounds like the babbling of a Schiit Audio fanboy, so be it, its based on my experience. 

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #8,669 of 13,350
Quote:
  Perhaps she's smarter than all of us.
By the way, our ability to remember the fine details of audio for comparitive purposes is very short term and we are very easily fooled by ourselves. More than six months ago (Asgard 1) far exceeds our human limitations, I'd keep very short as "Echoic Memory" lasts for a few seconds.

No offense intended, but I have to agree with StanD, it can be very difficult at times to try and compare two components by switching back and forth between them. Regardless, I have no doubt that the Magni 2 Uber is a very fine sounding amp given Schiit Audio's track record and it has more than enough power to drive most headphones. I still have an original Lyr that I sometimes use with my planar headphones yet my main and favorite headphone/single source preamp is the Asgard 2. I'd hate to see Schiit raise the price on the Asgard 2 yet if it cost twice as much I think it would be taken more seriously by the audiophile community and press, which is a shame. My hats off to Schiit as you really can't go wrong with most any of their gear...if that sounds like the babbling of a Schiit Audio fanboy, so be it, its based on my experience. 

none taken.
i agree with the both of you. That's actually part of the reason why i didn't put asgard 1 on the list of amps i've heard on that initial post.

Yeah, women around me all doesn't play musical instruments and they aren't audiophiles either, but they're all avid music listeners. Top 40 music listeners. Which i have to admit is good for me because top 40 songs are catchy as hell. My mom in particular has a 4 hours commuting time everyday, so she log more music listening time than my girlfriend and i on a day-to-day basis. Discounting weekends where i could listen to music all day.

They know that they enjoy the music less from their blackberry earbuds and their $20 mic headphone, but they don't really need a $500 headphone either to feel the music. Up until a certain tipping point, airier sound, better separation, larger soundstage, or more controlled bass doesn't mean anything to them, as long as they can feel the music, it's all well and good.
Probably the fact that none of them play musical instruments (i don' either) helped with this obliviousness.

They all have different reasons to choose their own headphones or IEMs, like my girlfriend choose the mdr-1r so she doesn't have to deal with skype calls using her logitech. My sister like the m100 because she's a little rough with her things, and my mom use that fidelio s2 because she commutes by train. Note that they were all fine with my grado sr60 and then sr80e... and doesn't particularly finds them any different than my dt880.

Cheap laptop hisses though so everybody around me uses fiio e10k and they seems to really enjoy it. My gf in particular use my magni 2 uber with her mdr-1r and my grado sr80e more than i use them. Partially why she can say WA7 is not better than the magni 2 uber at home.

I told her i really like the form of WA7 fireflies, and if it's like $500 or so i would seriously consider buying it just because. She said if i want to buy it because it's the Hermes of amplifier world go ahead, but at $1200, she said i really only buying a squared aluminium glass box that doesn't sound any different than my small sharp aluminium box at home.
She did say she wants the magni 2 uber if i ever buy the WA7 fireflies just because it looks cuter than her fiio e10k.

---------
Funny story, my mom and my girlfriend bonded a lot over music but since mom has more disposable income, recently when she was introduced to Lenka, she bought all Lenka albums she could find locally, and ordered from Amazon those she can't ordered locally. I told her that she couldn't import more than 10 CDs at once because it will be counted as intent to distribute by customs, and she said, alright fine if that actually happens i'll ask your sister to pirate them since she already bought them and feel entitled to them. Piracy here is completely unregulated by the way, while anything imported above $50 gets 30-60% tax, or in case of blurays, it's $2 per second (equal to a movie theater film roll).
---------

And that's why i think music is universal and people would benefit from getting a decent setup, on the other hand liking high fidelity sound reproduction is a hobby. And in the entry-level spectrum, the schiit mini stack or the mini-uber stack has their place for casual listeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back