Schiit Owners Unite
Jan 9, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #8,251 of 13,350
  I was considering getting the Emotiva Control Freak to control the volume of my powered speakers, but as the shipping rates of their company of choice are beyond ridiculous (total cost would end up being around 120€) I'm looking at SYS now. I only have one question. How long cables can the SYS comfortably feed? Will RCA cable of 1 or 1,5 meter length do fine?

The SYS is passive it does not drive the target. The question is, can your source drive the cable to the SYS and from the SYS to the target (+ a negligible factor from the SYS). Consider the SYS as a middleman that doesn't really take from you.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #8,253 of 13,350
  The SYS is passive it does not drive the target. The question is, can your source drive the cable to the SYS and from the SYS to the target (+ a negligible factor from the SYS). Consider the SYS as a middleman that doesn't really take from you.

Didn't consider it that way.
redface.gif
 I think Bifrost shouldn't have any problem with that. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #8,254 of 13,350

Didn't consider it that way.
redface.gif
 I think Bifrost shouldn't have any problem with that. 

The Bifrost has a 75 Ohm output impedance and should be able to drive more than many of us realize. I use it with a Y cable to simultaneously connect to two amps. Works great, I compared this to without the Y, no differences.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #8,255 of 13,350
  The Bifrost has a 75 Ohm output impedance and should be able to drive more than many of us realize. I use it with a Y cable to simultaneously connect to two amps. Works great, I compared this to without the Y, no differences.

I'm also getting RCA-splitters to divide the signal between the monitors and headphone setup. Was thinking about getting Gungnir for the extra outputs and such, but honestly Uberfrost is such a great DAC I don't think I'll need anything better.

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #8,256 of 13,350

I'm also getting RCA-splitters to divide the signal between the monitors and headphone setup. Was thinking about getting Gungnir for the extra outputs and such, but honestly Uberfrost is such a great DAC I don't think I'll need anything better.

The Bifrost is just fine, unless you need to go balanced.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #8,259 of 13,350
Today, I got my Schiit. Thanks again for your help, Alex.

I got my Bifrost (Uber and USB) and Asgard 2 along with Wyrd. And it's all hooked up and working great.

I've spent about 3 hours listening to music and can't believe all I was missing before. 

The amp powers my Mad Dog Pro's very well. 

Based on this initial listening, it is everything I had hoped for and more. I need more time with them to get to know the capabilities. But this is awesome.

Curious about something. The Asgard 2 drives my cans really well with the switch down in the lower power mode. In that mode, I turn up the volume to around 3 o'clock or so. In the high power mode, I have to turn it down around 11 or 12 oclock. 

What is the best position for the switch? More power and turn down the volume or less power and turn it up?

One thing I will say is that Asgard 2 does run hot. So the reports are true. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #8,260 of 13,350
  Curious about something. The Asgard 2 drives my cans really well with the switch down in the lower power mode. In that mode, I turn up the volume to around 3 o'clock or so. In the high power mode, I have to turn it down around 11 or 12 oclock. 

What is the best position for the switch? More power and turn down the volume or less power and turn it up?

High gain looks to be more optimal for your cans. 11-12 o'clock is a good position, 3 is a bit much.

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #8,261 of 13,350

High gain looks to be more optimal for your cans. 11-12 o'clock is a good position, 3 is a bit much.

Thanks madwolfa. 

Jamming out to some Testament right now. And with gain on high at a bit less than 11 oclock it's damn near blowing my ears off - wonderously so I might add. 

Wow - this stack/HP combo is amazing. 

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #8,262 of 13,350
  Today, I got my Schiit. Thanks again for your help, Alex.

I got my Bifrost (Uber and USB) and Asgard 2 along with Wyrd. And it's all hooked up and working great.

I've spent about 3 hours listening to music and can't believe all I was missing before. 

The amp powers my Mad Dog Pro's very well. 

Based on this initial listening, it is everything I had hoped for and more. I need more time with them to get to know the capabilities. But this is awesome.

One thing I will say is that Asgard 2 does run hot. So the reports are true. 
smily_headphones1.gif

High gains mode with the planars. I think you get more bass on high gain than low gain. I told you this combo is an amazing match
smily_headphones1.gif
very natural and not a hint of unnecessary edge

Jan 11, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #8,263 of 13,350

High gains mode with the planars. I think you get more bass on high gain than low gain. I told you this combo is an amazing match
smily_headphones1.gif
very natural and not a hint of unnecessary edge

The gain switch doesn't change the FR. The bass should be percieved to be the same at equal volumes.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #8,264 of 13,350
  The gain switch doesn't change the FR. The bass should be percieved to be the same at equal volumes.

I just tried switching between gains. I still think they sound better on high gain mode even after being volume matched. I'd need to blind test in order to really figure it out better

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #8,265 of 13,350
  I just tried switching between gains. I still think they sound better on high gain mode even after being volume matched. I'd need to blind test in order to really figure it out better

isnt it just the illusion of it being loud?
not the same but,, when i high gain my fiio e10k it sounds better as well. even after i turn down the e10k volume pot.
i dont have mad dogs so... maybe mad dogs need the power provided by the high gain and you're probably right....?

btw have you ever tried tube amp with your dt880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back