Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 4, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #7,547 of 13,350
  I have never own or demo any AMP/DAC. Is it really a Night & Day differences in sound quality w/ the Magni+Modi for Desktop Computer usage? I don't have a High demanding power Headphone if that matters.

The difference is huge, and it doesn't need to be a hard-to-drive headphone, as long as it's a good headphone. The biggest quality leap in my audio journey has been when I went from Nuforce Icon uDAC2 to Schiit Modi+Vali, and I had Sennheiser HD598's back then. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #7,548 of 13,350
  I have never own or demo any AMP/DAC. Is it really a Night & Day differences in sound quality w/ the Magni+Modi for Desktop Computer usage? I don't have a High demanding power Headphone if that matters.

Everyone's going to have their own opinion on that, and no one hears exactly what you do. From my experience, though, night & day difference? No. Noticeable? Yes. An improvement? Sometimes for sure, not always. I thought my M50's sounded lousy whether plugged into dac/amp or straight into my MacBook Pro years back. But I thought my HE-400 sounded great out of both, and often used them unamped. So I got rid of the dac and amps I had. My 600-ohm Beyers sounded thin without amping, so that's why I got an Objective amp, and then later moving to the Magni/Modi. It wasn't night & day, but it was a noticeable improvement, and enough for me to personally justify spending $200 on the M&M. But if I ever end up getting my HE-400s again, I wouldn't hesitate to use them unamped.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #7,549 of 13,350
My new Modi/Magni came in today 
biggrin.gif

Got it all set up and ready to go, even though I think I didn't apply the stick-on feet perfectly...

Now I'm (im)patiently waiting on the HD650's to show up!

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #7,550 of 13,350
The Rag is even more evil...it makes the LCD-X that used to run on the $750 Mjolnir sound better and will make the HD800 ($1500, available for less at times...) that would have been bad on the cheaper amp sound good but different.  And it drives speakers ($1500) and has a pre-amp out for subs ($1000 each)...I'm still shocked moving from Mjolnri to Rag made such a difference...Schiit's products are evil cost drivers, the real cost of the Rag is much higher than $1700.

lol schiit is a business, so if the real cost of Rag was greater than their sale price.... they wld b bankrupt very quickly. hahahah

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #7,551 of 13,350
lol schiit is a business, so if the real cost of Rag was greater than their sale price.... they wld b bankrupt very quickly. hahahah

Not true for all businesses...Schiit as Amazon...also costly for me. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #7,552 of 13,350

Read it again. You might have missed the point :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #7,554 of 13,350
I'll just put this here:

http://schiit.com/products

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #7,556 of 13,350

I thought headphone amps were bunk n all considering I have two easy to drive pairs of cans, Sony MDR-1R and Senn HD477, now either can be sent easily to earbleed levels by an iPhone but both came alive with the insertion of my Asgard 2 into the chain. Either will still go to earbleed levels however with much more detail and substance to the sound. Whatever music I've thrown specifically the higher end Sony cans has sounded just that much better. Granted the Asgard 2 is on a different level than Magni is. it was the driver behind Schiit redesigning the original Asgard, it was close enough in performance. Buy with confidence if you decide to go with a Modi/Magni combo, both are solid products. Just like the rest of the Schiit line up.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #7,558 of 13,350
  Everyone's going to have their own opinion on that, and no one hears exactly what you do. From my experience, though, night & day difference? No. Noticeable? Yes. An improvement? Sometimes for sure, not always. I thought my M50's sounded lousy whether plugged into dac/amp or straight into my MacBook Pro years back. But I thought my HE-400 sounded great out of both, and often used them unamped. So I got rid of the dac and amps I had. My 600-ohm Beyers sounded thin without amping, so that's why I got an Objective amp, and then later moving to the Magni/Modi. It wasn't night & day, but it was a noticeable improvement, and enough for me to personally justify spending $200 on the M&M. But if I ever end up getting my HE-400s again, I wouldn't hesitate to use them unamped.

+1. I think this. (tho I do disagree with the HE-400 assessment though. I personally found that they did in fact improve with amping.)

not a "night-and-day slash omg these sound like new headphones" difference, but can be an some improvements with certain headphones. however, with some headphones amping does not really have any difference at all (usually the low impedance headphones or headphones designed for portable usage). the amount of difference noticed with a dac depends on the quality of your current sound processor.

do note that subtle changes in volume can cause perceived quality improvements, so sometimes people who amp just have it louder when amped & that is where the sound quality improvements are perceived.

If budget or value is a concern, consider that you can get quality entry level amps or dacs for $100 each. fiio does have some combo products under that price range and the new schitt fulla is $79 for a combo. a semi inexpensive way to dip your toes into the waters if you are interested :)

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #7,560 of 13,350
  The Fulla was released, in case you guys weren't yet aware.

http://schiit.com/products/fulla

Very cool, looking forward to reviews on this 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back