Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 3, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #7,532 of 13,350
From my understanding the most important part of your setup is the headphones and source. The least important is the amp. After you get an amp that satisfies the requirements for running your headphones, then you reach a point of diminishing returns on more expensive options.

That is not to say that you won't hear an improvement. But if you had $1600 to spend I think you would find a much bigger benefit buying a pair of Audeze headphones then buying the Ragnorok.

It's more evil than that.  You buy a starter Amp/DAC/HP and all are on par. Then you buy a much more expensive HP and realize your AMP/DAC are the limiting factor, so you buy a high end Amp/DAC and then you want an even more expensive HP to pair with them ......  Next thing you know buying an LCD-X seems like a perfectly rationale thing to do.

But you're right, you will NEVER, unless extremely lucky, get the same "bang for the buck" you got with your 1st $300 when moving to ANY external amp/DAC and decent HP. It becomes exponentially more expensive for smaller and smaller gains.  

Dec 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #7,533 of 13,350
  Huge fan of this company and the way they operate. Next amp I buy will be from them for sure.

I'm fairly certain you won't be disappointed.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #7,534 of 13,350
  Hi, 

I have Bifrost and Lyr 2 so i want to connect them to my AK 120 as a source for music
Note: My Bifrost it's have just Optical and Cox i didn't upgrade for USB 

So please anyone let me know, Thanks

Anyone Please.

Dec 4, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #7,535 of 13,350
Originally Posted by Amlalsulami /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, 

I have Bifrost and Lyr 2 so i want to connect them to my AK 120 as a source for music
Note: My Bifrost it's have just Optical and Cox i didn't upgrade for USB 

So please anyone let me know, Thanks

Anyone Please.

You can use the optical output of your AK120 and connect that to the optical input of your Bifrost.

You need an optical cable that has a mini plug on one end and a Toslink connector on the other like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902

The headphone jack on the AK120 is also an optical output.

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #7,536 of 13,350
  You can use the optical output of your AK120 and connect that to the optical input of your Bifrost.

You need an optical cable that has a mini plug on one end and a Toslink connector on the other like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902

The headphone jack on the AK120 is also an optical output.

It's not works !! :frowning2:

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #7,537 of 13,350
  It's works, But why the headphone jack must be in AK120 i want use th Lyr 2 is Amp!!

No, no...

Here is how you connect everything:

AK120 --> optical cable --> Bifrost --> Lyr 2 --> Headphones

So you are using the AK120 as a transport/digital source only. Then the Bifrost is your DAC. The Lyr 2 is your amp.

Make sense?

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #7,538 of 13,350
  No, no...

Here is how you connect everything:

AK120 --> optical cable --> Bifrost --> Lyr 2 --> Headphones

So you are using the AK120 as a transport/digital source only. Then the Bifrost is your DAC. The Lyr 2 is your amp.

Make sense?

Yeah i do like this but i can't hear anything !!! I try with all my Cans

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #7,540 of 13,350

It's more evil than that.  You buy a starter Amp/DAC/HP and all are on par. Then you buy a much more expensive HP and realize your AMP/DAC are the limiting factor, so you buy a high end Amp/DAC and then you want an even more expensive HP to pair with them ......  Next thing you know buying an LCD-X seems like a perfectly rationale thing to do.

But you're right, you will NEVER, unless extremely lucky, get the same "bang for the buck" you got with your 1st $300 when moving to ANY external amp/DAC and decent HP. It becomes exponentially more expensive for smaller and smaller gains.

The Rag is even more evil...it makes the LCD-X that used to run on the $750 Mjolnir sound better and will make the HD800 ($1500, available for less at times...) that would have been bad on the cheaper amp sound good but different.  And it drives speakers ($1500) and has a pre-amp out for subs ($1000 each)...I'm still shocked moving from Mjolnri to Rag made such a difference...Schiit's products are evil cost drivers, the real cost of the Rag is much higher than $1700.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #7,541 of 13,350

Yeah i do like this but i can't hear anything !!! I try with all my Cans

I don't own an AK-120, and I'm not going to do the research for you, but perhaps there's a setting in the AK-120 to enable/disable the optical out.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #7,542 of 13,350

I don't own an AK-120, and I'm not going to do the research for you, but perhaps there's a setting in the AK-120 to enable/disable the optical out.

I can't find the setting that you said. That's okay

Thanks BTW.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #7,544 of 13,350
When i plug the AK120 titan into the GLOVEAUDIO A1, it activates the optical out in the (3.5mm plug)  / headphone jack.  works no problem.
i don't have another optical cable but one is on order

You mean plug the Optical cable into Optical Out or in Optical In?

Because when i plug the Optical Cable into Optical Out i hear the sound but when i plug into Optical In i can't hear anything

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #7,545 of 13,350
Optical out in in the headphone jack, the other port in optical in if you are using the 120 as a DAC for your computer.

so if you take Mini TosLink to TOXLink cable you should be able to connect it to your amp with optical connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back