Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 2, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #7,501 of 13,350
Bought Audeze's LCD-2 last week, an unbelievable piece of kit. My current issue is that my current DAC/Amp config is extremely basic. So, my question to you guys...

...Do I pull the trigger on a Gungnir/Mjolnir stack, or go with something else?

The Gung/Mjo stack is a great option. I actually quite like the Lyr, so the Lyr2 is another option (but plan to spend a lot extra on some NOS tubes). Another option would be the Geek Pulse DAC/Headphone.

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #7,502 of 13,350
The Gung/Mjo stack is a great option. I actually quite like the Lyr, so the Lyr2 is another option (but plan to spend a lot extra on some NOS tubes). Another option would be the Geek Pulse DAC/Headphone.

While one certainly might spend a lot on NOS tubes, it's not really necessary.  Just don't want to discourage people from consider the Lyr (used) or Lyr 2 due to an assumption that a $200 pair of tubes is necessary.  But yes, it's wise to plan on buying other tubes, if only to compare.  Some people live fine with the stock or other inexpensive tubes.  Just look at all the people who aren't on the tube rolling thread 
wink.gif

That said, tubes are fun 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #7,503 of 13,350

While one certainly might spend a lot on NOS tubes, it's not really necessary.  Just don't want to discourage people from consider the Lyr (used) or Lyr 2 due to an assumption that a $200 pair of tubes is necessary.  But yes, it's wise to plan on buying other tubes, if only to compare.  Some people live fine with the stock or other inexpensive tubes.  Just look at all the people who aren't on the tube rolling thread 
wink.gif

That said, tubes are fun 
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't even have to break the bank to find tubes that are really good.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #7,504 of 13,350

bigsmile_face.gif

It's true.  The trick with tubes is finding the will to stop comparing and stick with what you've got.  Comparisons generally require buying tubes.  At least there's a market for them, so you could see it as a sort of rental fee.

Dec 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #7,505 of 13,350

bigsmile_face.gif

That is true, I found a pair of tubes that I love the sound of with on my Lyr 2 and they were only $40. I know they are good as every headphone I tried on them sounds better on them than the stock tubes and my other NOS tubes. The stock tubes are pretty good on the Lyr 2, better than my other NOS tubes.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #7,506 of 13,350
78 voskod silver shields. $40 from a fellow head-fier , who sells on ebay. These tubes are more than a night and day difference. It's absolutely insane how good these tubes are.
That is true, I found a pair of tubes that I love the sound of with on my Lyr 2 and they were only $40. I know they are good as every headphone I tried on them sounds better on them than the stock tubes and my other NOS tubes. The stock tubes are pretty good on the Lyr 2, better than my other NOS tubes.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #7,507 of 13,350
Between the Magni and Vali, which would better complement my cans?
• HD 600
• Fidelio X1
• ATH-M50
• MDR-V6

I'd greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who's tried any of these cans with the Magni and/or Vali.

I'm also curious if any E12 owners could give their thoughts on how the E12 compares to the Magni and/or Vali, with respect to sound quality. I'm guessing that for the E12, I'd be paying a premium for portability as opposed to audio fidelity, correct? Would I be right to assume the Magni/Vali offer better sound quality than the E12, even though the E12 is the same price as the Vali and more expensive than the Magni?

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #7,509 of 13,350
Hi, 

I have Bifrost and Lyr 2 so i want to connect them to my AK 120 as a source for music
Note: My Bifrost it's have just Optical and Cox i didn't upgrade for USB 

So please anyone let me know, Thanks

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #7,510 of 13,350
• HD 600
• Fidelio X1
• ATH-M50
• MDR-V6

I'd greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who's tried any of these cans with the Magni and/or Vali.

I'm also curious if any E12 owners could give their thoughts on how the E12 compares to the Magni and/or Vali, with respect to sound quality. I'm guessing that for the E12, I'd be paying a premium for portability as opposed to audio fidelity, correct? Would I be right to assume the Magni/Vali offer better sound quality than the E12, even though the E12 is the same price as the Vali and more expensive than the Magni?
Magni. It will drive almost everything you can throw at it. Vali will probably be okay and offer tubey sounds, but I don't think you're going to beat Magni's versatility, and you can always save up for a "real" tube amp later if you prefer the high impedance cans.

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7,511 of 13,350
Magni. It will drive almost everything you can throw at it. Vali will probably be okay and offer tubey sounds, but I don't think you're going to beat Magni's versatility, and you can always save up for a "real" tube amp later if you prefer the high impedance cans.

Man, I'm so conflicted. First I was getting the impression that the Vali might only work with my HD 600 and was told that it hums with the M50 (Vali: 0, Magni: 1); then I read numerous accounts of the Vali working well with the X1 and was told by someone else that the Vali works well with the M50 (Vali: 1, Magni: 1); then I had someone tell me he prefers the Magni over the Vali for the HD 600 (Vali: 1, Magni: 2); then I did a thread search and saw numerous instances of praise for the HD600+Vali combo (Vali: 2, Magni: 2); and now you're telling me I should just go for the Magni due to its versatility (Vali: 2, Magni: 3). This is driving me crazy!

I'm contemplating getting the Vali and just selling whichever headphones don't work with it. Have you particularly tried the Vali with the M50 or MDR-V6? I already know the Vali works well with the HD 600 and X1, so the only uncertainties are how it pairs with the M50 and MDR-V6 (and the ATH-PRO500MK2, but those aren't so common so I won't bother asking about 'em).

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #7,513 of 13,350
• HD 600
• Fidelio X1
• ATH-M50
• MDR-V6

Have you contacted the guys at Schiit Audio and asked them the same question? They've helped steer me the right way a couple times and its not always to the more expensive component. I wish I could help, but I've never heard either amp. Good luck! 

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #7,514 of 13,350
  Easy. Buy both, decide for yourself. Return the amp you like less. The return policy is slightly less generous than most of their products (15% restocking fee), but they're both low cost items...no big deal.

Yeah, I was contemplating doing that, but I always feel anxious buying something expensive (for me) that I don't plan to keep, lest something happen leaving me unable to return it. Anyway, wouldn't I just be able to buy it on Amazon and not have to worry about any restocking fee? It's sold by Schiit Audio but fulfilled by Amazon, so I presume I'd be able to return it within a month and only have to pay shipping, which would probably be cheaper than the 15% restocking fee.

Have you contacted the guys at Schiit Audio and asked them the same question? They've helped steer me the right way a couple times and its not always to the more expensive component. I wish I could help, but I've never heard either amp. Good luck! 

Thanks, I'll do that! I'm leaning heavily in favor of the Vali due to all the good things I've heard about it with the HD600 and X1, but I'll email them to inquire them about its compatibility with my other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back