Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 25, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #7,201 of 13,350
^Was a very happy camper with the Valhalla, Modi, HD650 combination, a bit surprised they are out of stock, remember reading a post from Alex saying he wasn't going to allow a back order. Guess the Ragnarok and Yggy are pretty labor intensive.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #7,202 of 13,350
  i just jumped in and bought a Valhalla 2 and uber bifrost with usb to go with my sen hd600s

im very new to this stuff have never owned a head amp 

i just got the hd600s and needed more to drive them

what am i in for?

did i make the right choice?

i have to wait until mid November to get it though....they are out of the valhalla2 atm

How bout this for a good natured taunt?

Ooh, sounding so good, don't have to wait for November, ooh...

Oct 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #7,203 of 13,350

How bout this for a good natured taunt?

Ooh, sounding so good, don't have to wait for November, ooh...

oh my......there it is

i cant wait until mid November

i think im going to stack them....i have plenty of time to think it through

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #7,205 of 13,350
Oct 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #7,206 of 13,350
  is foobar the best program to play my flac files through them?

Depends on your needs. For a free, customizable app with large user community and wealth of available plugins/skins it's hard to beat. If you have a more complex setup, large library, want everything including the kitchen sink built in and don't mind shelling out a bit of cash I'd highly recommend looking at Jriver Media Player. There's a free demo available.

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #7,208 of 13,350
http://schiit.com/guides/dsd-setup

went there and tried to get to......Step 6Take the “foo_input_sacd.dll” file and drag it to the Installed Components window in Foobar’sPreferences: Components folder. Yes, just drag and drop. It should now show both “ASIO Support” and “Super Audio CD Decoder” components, like this:

it does not work correctly

im stuck at this part...it does not make “ASIO Support” and “Super Audio CD Decoder” components

i do it exactly as it says to do it

Oct 25, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #7,210 of 13,350
  http://schiit.com/guides/dsd-setup

went there and tried to get to......Step 6Take the “foo_input_sacd.dll” file and drag it to the Installed Components window in Foobar’sPreferences: Components folder. Yes, just drag and drop. It should now show both “ASIO Support” and “Super Audio CD Decoder” components, like this:

it does not work correctly

im stuck at this part...it does not make “ASIO Support” and “Super Audio CD Decoder” components

i do it exactly as it says to do it

You're looking at instructions for DSD setup which uber bifrost does not support.  Only the Loki supports DSD.  Output in Foobar should look like this.    

Oct 25, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #7,211 of 13,350
Anyone with Mjolnir/Gunghir recabled Grado 325is? Have HE-500 and wondering if worth the cost/effort?

Oct 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #7,212 of 13,350
So I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 600OHM headphones to go with my Valhalla 2 and Uber Bifrost. I can't wait to hear them and see how different they sound from the HD-650s.
beyersmile.png

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #7,214 of 13,350

T1's Tesla here too, with an uber bifrost and an asgard2. Pretty darn amazing.  you'll definitely enjoy the sound synergy of the schiit gear and the Beyers.

Then again, I think the Schiit gear does well with just about any headphones. The HE400's are much more in your face with my stack, while the Beyers are more relaxed... but .. stunning.

It took me a week to adjust from the sound signature of the HE400's to the T1's. At first I felt they sounded thin, but that feeling is gone now. I bought the Beyers used, but according to the seller, they didn't have much headtime, and given their condition and sound development I'd have to agree.

Thus, if you feel at first that the sound isn't what you hoped for... relax, and give the Beyers a chance to open up. Just let them play music even when you don't have them on your head. If they're anything like the T1's, they need time to burn in and open up.  Also, I don't know how long you've been listening to the HD-650's, but your ears will have to adjust to a new sound signature too.

Have fun!

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #7,215 of 13,350
Anyone with a Mani have a weird static problem?  It's like an electrical buzz that comes and goes.  I was listening via mine tonight and noticed it.  Went through a few different configurations to try to isolate it, and it definitely only happens with the Mani in the chain.  I tried various cables, using only TT to Mani to Lyr, and TT to Mani to JDS Labs C5 (yet another cable change), and it was still present.  It's not constant, but comes and goes many times a minute, predominantly on the left channel, and, IIRC, only when there are cables plugged into the INs.

Here's the weird part.  I tested without anything on the INs and pretty sure it was clear.  Then I plugged the TT's RCAs in, but with the TT's power unplugged, and it started again.

With the SYS and Bifrost in the chain, I could switch to the Bifrost and the problem went away.

I can't recall my TT ever making that noise when it was plugged into the Phono In on my Kenwood AVR.  The only thing that's changed is the new Grado Green cartridge, but again, the problem happened when there was no power to the TT.

I'm suspicious of the wall wart, but being 16 VAC, I don't have a spare.  I'm also suspicious of the Ins on the Mani, since the problem starts when cables are plugged in.  I'll also try with my old Audio Technica cartridge.

I'll keep troubleshooting it (back to the old Kenwood, but using the Mani this time), but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back