Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #7,171 of 13,350

Assuming you've got the Mani and Bifrost going into the SYS, then out to the Lyr, did you notice a difference with the SYS in the chain?

None at all. I played around with the volume on the SYS and I decided to leave it at maximum. I use the volume on my LYR.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #7,172 of 13,350
  None at all. I played around with the volume on the SYS and I decided to leave it at maximum. I use the volume on my LYR.

That's my plan, too, so thanks for confirming.  Party on, Wayne 
beerchug.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #7,173 of 13,350
I have a Vali but I have yet to use it. Problem is, I don't know how/where to connect the Vali to my system. Right now I have a McIntosh MA5100 for power and a Denon DNP-720AE network audio player for internet radio. Do I plug the Vali in my Mac, or does it plug into the Denon?

I received a pair of AKG Q701 this week, and I plugged them into the Mac last night. These are amazing headphones. I understand now why they are so popular and get 100% positive reviews.

Now if I can get the Vali up and running, I will hopefully get another good experience.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #7,174 of 13,350
You could do either, but I would probably just plug it direct into the Analog out of the Denon.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #7,176 of 13,350
Well Mullins, the Analog connect is going to my amp's Tuner. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the Vali. Now I am curious if I will be able to use the LD MK III.

If anyone has some ideas, they will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 24, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #7,178 of 13,350
I contacted Schiit yesterday evening to get some help on how to connect the Vali to my audio system. They suggested that I plug the Vali into the Tape Out connect. After several minutes of untangling wires and cables, the Vali was finally connected to my amp.

I plugged in the headphones before turning the Vali on to let it warm up. After about 30 mins, I could not wait any longer. When I turned up the volume on the Vali... Holy Schiit!!! I cannot begin to describe what I was hearing. The sound coming from my Focal speakers was not the same sound coming from the headphones. The sound was much fuller than hearing the sound from the speakers. You definitely get more detail, a wider range of the soundstage.

As amazing this experience was last night, I can only imagine what the experience will be when the Little Dot MK III arrives. The Vali is putting out 8 watts, and the volume knob did not go past 9:00. The LD MK III puts out 30 watts. If the experience takes the sound/soundstage to the next level, I may find it hard to contain my enthusiasm.

One thing I failed to mention. When the headphone amp is plugged into the Tape Out connect, I accidently turned my integrated amp off, but I was still hearing music coming out of the headphones. This was not expected to happen. However, I'm glad I have this feature and I can save on power usage by not turning the integrated amp on.

But, this is always expected to happen in the world of home audio... and the reason we love this hobby so much!

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #7,181 of 13,350
Yes you are right about consumption.  That is the power the amp can use, but not what it puts out.  Read above on the same page to see maximum output power depending on the impedance of your headphones.

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #7,182 of 13,350
Also, more power ≠ better sound. The reason for more powerful amps is that some headphones require more power. But the AKGs are very efficient and likely won't benefit. The Little Dot Mk III might sound better (never heard it) but it's not really valid to say it will be because of the power output.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #7,183 of 13,350
  I guess we won't be looking forward to a Schiit 8 Track player. Thurston will be dissapointed.

This is vintage schiit.  I bought it for you.  Delivery is imminent.  When you least expect it, expect it 
wink.gif

https://www.ebth.com/items/1604271-apollo-xvi-8-track-car-stereo-tape-player

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #7,184 of 13,350

This is vintage schiit.  I bought it for you.  Delivery is imminent.  When you least expect it, expect it 
wink.gif

https://www.ebth.com/items/1604271-apollo-xvi-8-track-car-stereo-tape-player

Aren't you supposed to get your Mani today? I don't think your turntable is compatible.

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #7,185 of 13,350
  Aren't you supposed to get your Mani today? I don't think your turntable is compatible.

O.M.F.G.  Rangy has already started training to be able to crank that baby at the proper sustained rotational speed.  Now he's jumping around the room and swinging from the ceiling fan.  He's that excited.  I need to post this and close the page before he injures himself.  He's such a dedicated Lab Monkey, and he doesn't even mind when I insult him by calling him "monkey."  In fact he's a mensch of a monkey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back