Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 22, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #6,947 of 13,350
  Bravo amps have a very low price (cheap) as a design goal. As a consequence design decisions are constrained by this choice.  The output is coupled by a capacitor which does not bode well for bass. The output driver uses a voltage regulator as a linear current load, not what the chip was intended for. Not to mention what looks like poor build quality. Switches and  jacks, etc. held in place by PCB solder joints is just asking for trouble. The Ocean looks to be built differently.

The Lyr2 is DC coupled and has a careful design that is both linear and low in noise. The power rails and biasing are not a low voltage compromise as in Bravo designs. The FR is flat, so I don't see how anyone could say bass heavy or anything like that. IMO, comparing it to something that might be bass lite doesn't make it bass heavy. It costs more for good reasons.

lol sure, all that technical stuff may be true & I definitely believe that more thought and effort was put into the Lyr2's design. You can see it from the beautiful chassis. Honestly, I don't have the background to really talk about amplifiers intelligently in a technical sense. I can only speak to my personal experiences. My Lyr 2 picks up a ton of interference & noise from random electronics (such as one of my AC adapters) while the Bravo V3 never had any sort of issue like that. I sent a day isolating the cause of interference and another day purchasing stuff to alleviate the issue for the better-designed amp. My Lyr has also been displaying random intermittent crackling, which was kinda alleviated by straightening the tube pins, but has now reappeared significantly in one channel. So my personal experiences makes me a bit iffy about your statement saying how careful the design is and the noise. My perspective is obviously skewed d/t the problems I encountered. I feel like I got unlucky because I've never heard of anyone else running into those sorts of issues. 

Say what you will about the Bravo V3's technical design, but that thing just worked and never had any issues. The sonic differences between the V3 and Lyr2 for the HE-400 was pretty subtle. However, the Lyr 2 is an extremely significant sonic upgrade from the V3 for the HE-560. Sound signature, sound quality... everything. So I would still highly recommend it for the specific pairing with the HE-560 and I can see it being very good for higher-end headphones. I just don't ascribe to the mentality that just because something is pricier, it auto-outperforms everything cheaper.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #6,950 of 13,350
I just ordered the Magni/Modi directly from the Schiit website, can anyone tell me how long it took for them to ship it out?

I sent them an email about a question with my order on a Monday morning and haven't gotten anything back all day.

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #6,951 of 13,350
  I just ordered the Magni/Modi directly from the Schiit website, can anyone tell me how long it took for them to ship it out?

I sent them an email about a question with my order on a Monday morning and haven't gotten anything back all day.

STATUS: In stock. Orders placed now will ship in 1-3 business days.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #6,954 of 13,350
Got my Vali in the mail today. Now just need Mani to come out to complete my turntable setup.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #6,955 of 13,350

Based on my experience, they'll probably ship tomorrow.  Time goes much slower when you're waiting for new gear to arrive...

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #6,956 of 13,350
has anyone ordered them directly to ship to Singapore?
thinking of getting the 
Schiit Modi Optical
Schiit Magni
Schiit SYS

thinking of the PYST cables too >< since there's no Monoprice here in Singapore

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #6,959 of 13,350
Been enjoying the new Bifrost uber all day. The upgrade from the Modi+magni to the Bifrost uber+Asgard 2 is certainly worth it. I am very happy with how my HD650's sound 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back