Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 18, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #6,916 of 13,350
  Just ordered some custom handmade cable for my LCD-2 from eBay for $69.95 (not a chinese knock-off, just some guy from Wisconsin making them at home, I guess):

10 feet of Canare Mini Quad cable, 1/4" Furutech Premium connector, Neutrik mini 4pin XLR for Audeze headphones. Made with Cardas Quad solder and well reinforced joints.

I think that's reasonable price for something like that - longer, well made, better looking cable with quality components. Anything more expensive is plain ripoff, IMO. 
And of course I'm not expecting any audio miracles from it as well as any other cable 10x the price. 
wink.gif

That's not to start (yet) another cable debate... 
deadhorse.gif

What would be the ultimate non-coloring conductor if you weren't worried about EMI?  Just for grins I'm tempted to take 4 RCA male plugs and run the lowest gauge solid copper wire I can find.  Just curious how it would sound (yes expecting bad EMI but who knows?)

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #6,917 of 13,350
  What would be the ultimate non-coloring conductor if you weren't worried about EMI?  Just for grins I'm tempted to take 4 RCA male plugs and run the lowest gauge solid copper wire I can find.  Just curious how it would sound (yes expecting bad EMI but who knows?)

Just found it...

Regular and superconducting cables for 12,500 amperes used at LEP (top) and Large Hadron Collider (bottom) respectively.

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #6,918 of 13,350

You can get shielded cable from Toxic, Norne or DHC to build a mega cable with, have been told that you can avoid the tizziness (technical term) of silver by varying the litz diameter of the silver mixed with OCC copper. If you can afford it, you could create a veritable garden hose cable 
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #6,921 of 13,350
Sep 18, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #6,923 of 13,350

I think I have a business idea... 
rolleyes.gif

Let's raise some funds on the InterWebs! 
biggrin.gif

WTH is @StanD?!  This is right up his alley.

#KICKSTARTER #CryoCables  

Why settle for cryogenically  treated cables when you have cryogenic superconducting interconnects? Cooled to a blistering -425 Fahrenheit these babies will let you hear beads of sweat as they drip off the saxist's brow.

1st 100 backers at introductory pledge of $40,000 will receive a custom set of titanium cable risers hand cast and blessed by Franciscan monks.

Caution: Cables are directional and improper use may generate God Particles. Customers improperly using CryoCables as Coax/BNC to DAC have reported hearing Elvis.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #6,924 of 13,350

#KICKSTARTER #CryoCables  

Why settle for cryogenically  treated cables when you have cryogenic superconducting interconnects? Cooled to a blistering -425 Fahrenheit these babies will let you hear beads of sweat as they drip off the saxist's brow.

1st 100 backers at introductory pledge of $40,000 will receive a custom set of titanium cable risers hand cast and blessed by Franciscan monks.

Caution: Cables are directional and improper use may generate God Particles. Customers improperly using CryoCables as Coax/BNC to DAC have reported hearing Elvis.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I love you, man 
beerchug.gif

Time to go dream of the God Particle Interconnects (Trademark us)

Sep 19, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #6,925 of 13,350

#KICKSTARTER #CryoCables  

I think I'd rather settle for the PYST from Schiit for $20....  I still hear Elvis with them though! (well, as long as I play his music that is.)

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #6,926 of 13,350

Let's raise some funds on the InterWebs! 
biggrin.gif

WTH is @StanD?!  This is right up his alley.

Lamp cord should do fine, brown zip cord can be had at any hardware store. For the style conscious, I believe it comes in clear or white. If it can carry enough power to light up an incandescent light bulb, it can light up your cans.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #6,927 of 13,350
  Lamp cord should do fine, brown zip cord can be had at any hardware store. For the style conscious, I believe it comes in clear or white. If it can carry enough power to light up an incandescent light bulb, it can light up your cans.

The brown has sort of a chocolatey sweet sound to it. I find the white to be a bit too bright sounding for my tastes. You'd think the clear would be the most neutral, but it discolors over time and gets all cloudy sounding.

Sep 19, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #6,928 of 13,350

The brown has sort of a chocolatey sweet sound to it. I find the white to be a bit too bright sounding for my tastes. You'd think the clear would be the most neutral, but it discolors over time and gets all cloudy sounding.

Chocolate  won't work for anyone that's trying to lose weight. Maybe we can find a premium clear cable that won't age badly.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #6,929 of 13,350

I knew you'd come through 
wink.gif
  It'll be like that show (or shows) where someone bottles up the town water and sells it back as "natural spring water," making a killing in the process (definitely saw that in Only Fools and Horses, but also.... Family Guy?).  I volunteer to decorate our new WunderKabel in more appropriately chic stylings.  Hell, maybe we can get Apple to buy a boatload, if it looks hip enough.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #6,930 of 13,350

I knew you'd come through 
wink.gif
  It'll be like that show (or shows) where someone bottles up the town water and sells it back as "natural spring water," making a killing in the process (definitely saw that in Only Fools and Horses, but also.... Family Guy?).  I volunteer to decorate our new WunderKabel in more appropriately chic stylings.  Hell, maybe we can get Apple to buy a boatload, if it looks hip enough.

Hmmm, I'd make cables for iBeats cans and instead of terminating them with a TRS plug, I'd use two of these for balanced cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back