Schiit Owners Unite
Sep 11, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #6,856 of 13,350
  Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet (from the Ragnarok thread, thanks smitty1110)

Originally Posted by smitty1110

I was looking on the RMAF site and I saw that there was interesting information in the paragraph about Schiit -

"Schiit. An unlikely name. And equally unlikely that we would be resurrecting affordable, made-in-USA audio gear. From our $79 Fulla DAC/Headamp, $99 Modi DAC, and $99 Magni amp, to our $1699 Ragnarok intelligent integrated amp and $2299, Yggdrasil bitperfect DAC, we're changing the game. Come have a listen to the latest creations from Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard at Can-Jam, and rediscover what value really means."

Looks like one of the new products that Jason has been teasing is a very interesting integrated amp called Fulla with a very nice price tag, and we finally have a ballpark price on Yggdrasil at $2.3k. I can't wait to see what else is getting unveiled, especially if we finally learn more about Yggy's internals.

I'm surprised no one else is interested in this given that it's likely a legitimate product? It does say that they will be giving away an unreleased product, and this could very well be it. I think it could destroy FiiO if Schiit is successful with a $79 product. Although it seems too good to be true because of the price and the fact that Jason has said so many times that he's against a combined solution. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #6,857 of 13,350
Guess it doesn't have to be portable, but didn't Jason also say Schiit are opposed to batteries in devices?

nevertheless, their table is my first visit at RMAF.....

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #6,858 of 13,350
Came home fore lunch and...

Modi is now connected :)

One weird thing, the finish on the Modi is different from the Magni I got last year (bottom picture). Nothing major (since I'm connected to a black Valhalla anyway), just interesting. Could be a problem for the anal retentive bunch.

I'll do some more listening later tonight, but initial impression is good.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #6,859 of 13,350
Congrats on the new toys!!

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #6,860 of 13,350
Seems to me the Fulla is aimed directly at the AQ Dragonfly. And being more of a convenience (as opposed to full-on OCD audiophile) upgrade, perhaps that was enough to cause Jason to set aside his objections to combining analog/digital features/batteries and whatnot. He has suggested the company is pursuing different product types and strategies.

I don't like the name Fulla, which seems gratuitously scatological. Next will be the Giva, the Pila, the Tuff and the Onnashingle. At least the name Wyrd is interesting because it can be pronounced "Wired" as well as "Weird" which is a more dimensional pun.

Wish I could go to RMAF. Just have to settle for reading reports. Please post lots of pics, you lucky folk who get there.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #6,861 of 13,350
  Seems to me the Fulla is aimed directly at the AQ Dragonfly. And being more of a convenience (as opposed to full-on OCD audiophile) upgrade, perhaps that was enough to cause Jason to set aside his objections to combining analog/digital features/batteries and whatnot. He has suggested the company is pursuing different product types and strategies.

I don't like the name Fulla, which seems gratuitously scatological. Next will be the Giva, the Pila, the Tuff and the Onnashingle. At least the name Wyrd is interesting because it can be pronounced "Wired" as well as "Weird" which is a more dimensional pun.

Wish I could go to RMAF. Just have to settle for reading reports. Please post lots of pics, you lucky folk who get there.

Agree on the name.  Even if they come up with a Norse connection, it is silly at best.

Sep 11, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #6,862 of 13,350
  Agree on the name.  Even if they come up with a Norse connection, it is silly at best.

So, do you think it's Fulla Schiit?  That could be a very good thing, since they only put out the good Schiit.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #6,863 of 13,350
Came home fore lunch and...

Modi is now connected
smily_headphones1.gif

One weird thing, the finish on the Modi is different from the Magni I got last year (bottom picture). Nothing major (since I'm connected to a black Valhalla anyway), just interesting. Could be a problem for the anal retentive bunch.

I'll do some more listening later tonight, but initial impression is good.

Nice.

Luckily, the finish on my just-purchased Vali seems to match my year-old Modi.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #6,864 of 13,350
So, I'm new to audiophile equipment, so bare with me guys. I got a Schiit Magni to power my AKG Q701's. When I'm running from my Nexus 5 to my Magni to my AKGs, the volume is pretty low. I have to crank it to the max to get loudish volume. Does this mean the Schiit Magni is too weak to power these headphones?

Also, when running out of my PC, I have the AKGs plugged into the Magni Y connector into my SoundBlaster Z's headphone out. Is that what I should the output I should be using? I've ready somewhere else that it should be the 5.1 channel output. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #6,865 of 13,350
  So, I'm new to audiophile equipment, so bare with me guys. I got a Schiit Magni to power my AKG Q701's. When I'm running from my Nexus 5 to my Magni to my AKGs, the volume is pretty low. I have to crank it to the max to get loudish volume. Does this mean the Schiit Magni is too weak to power these headphones?

Also, when running out of my PC, I have the AKGs plugged into the Magni Y connector into my SoundBlaster Z's headphone out. Is that what I should the output I should be using? I've ready somewhere else that it should be the 5.1 channel output. 

Hey.

Magni is made to be fed with lineout level voltage (arround 2V). If you use your nexus 5 with the volume halfway, you're not even pushing 1 V. You should set your phone's volume high first and you should then get decent play on your amp. For your soundcard, you should indeed use the lineout (the stereo part of the 5.1 output most likely) in order to get decent play with your amp again.

Hope that helps.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #6,866 of 13,350
  Hey.

Magni is made to be fed with lineout level voltage (arround 2V). If you use your nexus 5 with the volume halfway, you're not even pushing 1 V. You should set your phone's volume high first and you should then get decent play on your amp. For your soundcard, you should indeed use the lineout (the stereo part of the 5.1 output most likely) in order to get decent play with your amp again.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the quick reply, I have the volume on the Nexus 5 and the Magni cranked to the max and its still not very loud.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #6,867 of 13,350
I believe I read (maybe on AnadTech.com) that the Nexus 5 puts about 1V and if that's true that is the reason you're not getting more output from the Magni. I'm not positive about that spec so you should check into it and see what its putting out/ feeding the Magni. As already has already been mentioned, most headphone amps are looking for 2 volts at their input...give them less voltage in and they'll output less.

Also, the AKG 701's require a bit of juice to sound their best, the Lyr was the first amp I heard that gave the 701's a more powerful bottom end to go with its already great midrange and treble. I'm sure that the Magni has more than enough power to drive the AKG's if the input signal is closer to the normal 2 volts.  

Good luck and I hope you get it worked out!

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #6,868 of 13,350
Hi all, i'm new to this Schiit, and i think i should share some thoughts! I'm happy with Asgard and Valhalla, and i was about to pull the trigger for Lyr! But i hope i could reason with myself or i might as well go broke!
They said that HD650s pair very well with Valhalla.. and i do think so. Though i got spoiled by Crack which was awesome but i think i'll hold myself with all of these Schiits around me. At this point sometimes i even questioning myself whenever i got that "this is not enough!" feeling, since i do listen to a lot of musics, back a few years up till now (not that i'm listening to some old stuff but well..) I found that some recordings just might as well not good enough i'm starting to get afraid i might be blaming my cans and setup! 

But Overall i'm happy. They might as well release stuff like Schiit Valkyrie and i might as well buy it because its name only! And now Ragnarok announced just after i bought secondhand Bifrost.. This Schiit is getting serious.

Anyway did someone did stuff like hooking Lyr through preamp to Valhalla to drive something? I was waiting for someone to do that kind of thing since i want to get Lyr for that.. man i don't know if i could reason myself anymore, since for some people, that kind of indecent act might as well be categorized into.. pointless act of defiance. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #6,869 of 13,350
hey just curious if anyone with the lyr 2 has experienced intermittent very subtle crackling type sounds in one channel and any recommended troubleshooting? occurs randomly.

currently using with he-560 at high gain settings.

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #6,870 of 13,350
Not with the Lyr, but I have had that problem with my Valhalla, it turned out to be a bad tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back